PDA

View Full Version : Bows for the Whack, not the break of the bank

WyoBowhunter
01-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I am a College student looking for a new bow. My current bow is an 07 Hoyt Vectrix but I am looking to sell it for a newer model Hoyt. I have been looking at Mathews, Hoyt and some of the others. The Hoyt Rampage looks pretty slick and from what I have read looks to be a good bow. Anyone have any knowledge on a great bow for under $600-$700.

OR Archer
01-28-2012, 12:58 AM
There are a some good bows in that price range. PSE Revenge, PSE Vendetta, Mission Venture, Hoyt Rampage XT, and Hoyt Rampage. Id recommend any of these bows. All are of high quality and easy to tune and shoot.

Maxhunter
01-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Have you looked at classifieds on Archerytalk, E-bay, or KSL. I've seen carbon bows go for the price you mentioned in excellent condition. Also there a lot of CRX & Maxxis for sale. If you're looking for brand
new then Hoyt, PSE, and Mission has some in your price range.

Drhorsepower
01-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah I bought a 4 month old Hoyt carbon element in your price range, Craigslist is awesome. I had a saved search for my city and 8 other surrounding and checked it everyday. You are not going to go wrong purchasing a bow made by the big three. ( Hoyt, bowtech, Mathews)

jenbickel
01-28-2012, 08:53 AM
A lot of archery stores also have like used bows. A lot of them arent old or anything, just people who wanted a different bow. It may be an option for you also. I'm a very dedicated Mathews fan :)

packer58
01-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Don't overlook last year models......shops should start cutting prices making room for the latest and greatest stuff. With a $600 / $700 budget you should do just fine.......This time of year there are some sweet deals out there !!!

beav906
01-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Bang for your buck check out rytera and Martin price is easy on the pocket and the bows are just as competitive.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Don't overlook last year models......shops should start cutting prices making room for the latest and greatest stuff. With a $600 / $700 budget you should do just fine.......This time of year there are some sweet deals out there !!!

I agree with packer58 on this one. Great advice.

WyoBowhunter
01-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks all! Packer 58 I think I will take your advice. I just found out that I will be getting help for a new bow for my upcoming birthday. I am looking into the shops around southeast Wyoming and Northeren Colorado to see what I can find. Maybe the salt lake ISE will have some good deals.

Maxhunter
01-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks all! Packer 58 I think I will take your advice. I just found out that I will be getting help for a new bow for my upcoming birthday. I am looking into the shops around southeast Wyoming and Northeren Colorado to see what I can find. Maybe the salt lake ISE will have some good deals.

If your coming to Utah go to Wilde Arrow in Centerville that have quite a few 2011's at very good prices!

WyoBowhunter
01-29-2012, 09:19 AM
If your coming to Utah go to Wilde Arrow in Centerville that have quite a few 2011's at very good prices!
MaxHunter thank you. I will try them out. I am looking at trading my old bow, do you happen to know if they take trades?

Maxhunter
01-29-2012, 01:12 PM
MaxHunter thank you. I will try them out. I am looking at trading my old bow, do you happen to know if they take trades?

Sorry they don't do trades. Just a recommendation stay away from Salt Lake Archery there prices are very high. I've sold a few used bows with Hector in Green River. I'd put your bow on KSL it's free. Good luck!

nvarcher
01-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Bowtech Assasin hands down fast comes fully equipped accurate and $599.99

cacklercrazy
01-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Look at a PSE G3 it $599. I think it looks like a prety good looking bow.

WyoBowhunter
01-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for your recommendation MaxHunter. I will stay away from SLC archery, I have heard that about them. I actually bought the current bow from hector but do to some bad experience with my bow I have moved on to other dealers. I always am forgetting about ksl.

WyoBowhunter
01-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Bowtech Assasin hands down fast comes fully equipped accurate and $599.99
I really am a Hoyt addict so it's going to take a lot to get me away from them. How are bow tech compared to Hoyt? I have been curious about them and Mathews.

Drhorsepower
01-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Those are the big three. Ford Chevy dodge. They all make great trucks just what you are loyal to and what you want to be seen driving in. Same goes with bows. What's most comfortable and what you want to say you own. (I drive a Chevrolet and shoot a Hoyt) :) but In all honesty they are all great bows. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

ProtonMadman
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
I shoot a Limbsaver Proton, which is available on Ebay for between $550 and $650 brand new. I have shot many of the newest bows out there and narrowed my search down to the Hoyt Element, Elite Hunter and Limbsaver Proton. Being a college student as well had me questioning my sanity if I were to unload on the Hoyt ($1,200, really?!), and I in no way "settled" on the Proton. This sucker is a hammer. Good solid wall, great adjustments for poundage, zero string creep, and the finish has taken a beating. Oh yeah, it's 3.8 pounds, totally quiet and totally dead-in-hand, too, which was a big selling point. For the price it really is tough to beat. One final plus: speed. My 440 grain aramid flies at 286 fps when it's set at 70 pounds (30" draw length). Broadheads love this thing!

hardstalk
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
I shoot a 2011 rampage but I don't use a stabilizer. And my whole setup comes in close weight with the element with a stabilizer on it. A lot of the same technology used on their big bows. But a magnesium riser. I love my rampage I'm a short draw length. 26.5 and with a 70 pound d.w it flings my 400 grain arrows at 285 f.p.s. I don't regret the purchase one bit and don't know if I would trade for any other bow out there. Its very forgiving. And smooth as butter p.m me your email and i can send you some pics.

Also keep an eye on archerytalk.com I picked up a fully setup crx for my brother in law for 500.

Ron1369
03-14-2012, 04:55 PM
There are a some good bows in that price range. PSE Revenge, PSE Vendetta, Mission Venture, Hoyt Rampage XT, and Hoyt Rampage. Id recommend any of these bows. All are of high quality and easy to tune and shoot.

Why don't you check into the Martin Bow Company and see what they have to offer you for cost efficiency.

RUTTIN
03-15-2012, 07:43 AM
I purchased a Limbsaver Dead Zone 32 for that very reason, it cost me $500 for a brand new 2011 last year. The bow has been very nice to shoot, and the big seller with me was you don't need a bow press to make any adjustments, or to change your string. Good luck in your search.

HuntinFool
03-15-2012, 10:36 PM
I just bought a 2011 Hoyt Alphaburner for $400 shipped to my house on the Archerytalk classifieds. The bow only has 20 shots through it.