PDA

View Full Version : American Archer Wyoming moose episode

Joe Hulburt
01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Anybody else catch the Wyoming moose episode with the little yearling bull moose getting arrowed in the rump? I can hardly watch that program any more due to all the product placement ads but I had to check it out after hearing about some questionable shooting.

It's one thing to make a horrible shot but probably not a real good idea to brush it off as if everything is going as planed and probably not in the best interest of the program to show the mess up. I will at least give him credit for finishing the job luckily!

Jerry
01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
I saw it the other night and couldn't agree more with your comments!

Jon Boy
01-30-2012, 12:03 AM
I honestly couldnt believe my eyes when I saw over half an arrow sticking out of the ass of that moose. And then to hear him say it was a good shot and he was confident he was going to find the bull? And telling his guide it was a "quartering away shot" right. What was he thinking?

Bitterroot Bulls
01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I have made some less-than-perfect hits, but excuses don't help the situation.

packer58
01-30-2012, 03:58 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I have made some less-than-perfect hits, but excuses don't help the situation.

I'm with ya BB,

If you hunt long enough, your going to make a bad hit weather with bow or rifle. When your time comes, own the shot and finish the job as quickly as possible.

MT Muley
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
I agree with what others have said, the worst part about it was the guy's attitude after the shot. Luckily, he was able to stick him with a killing shot quickly.

Joe Hulburt
01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
It probably would have been useful to mention that one of the risks of taking a shot at a hard quartering away animal is the margin of error is much smaller too! At least from that viewers who didn't know any better could learn from the mistake.

Jon Boy
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
The moose didnt even looked barely quartered, dam near looked like he was facing straight away from him. I know bad shots happen because ive made them, but to take such a low percentage shot with a bow on an animal as large as a moose just isnt right.

01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
He could have come up with a better excuse like; "I was going for the glory hole!":D

backstraps
01-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Pretty disturbing shot alright, I found myself screaming at the TV (lucky no one was home)
Hell he should have just taken the full frontal at 10 yards, he would have had a bigger target.

His Guide looked alittle embarrassed to me.

Drhorsepower
01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
I read this post this morning and was watching a show this afternoon where this guy was hunting bison on Indian land, the wind was blowing hard and shot at 35 yards. Totally a bad shot! He hit this bison in the hind quarter. He said the wind was blowing so hard it knocked his arrow off of his rest. He kept making excuses but in the end, he made a terrible shot and shouldn't have let go if he couldn't make that shot. He also asked the camera man how much he should shoot into the wind. They ended up killing the animal a little later but still. On one hand I like that they are honest on tv putting that because it is reality but on the other it is something no one likes to see, hunters and non hunters.

trkytrack2
01-31-2012, 02:12 PM
A really stupid, disgusting display of very poor judgement on the part of Tom Nelson. This is another example of the pressure that is put on these guys to produce video footage, at all cost. Poor shots do happen but to display something like this for young up and coming bowhunters to view and then act like the shot was no big deal (the I got'em mentality) is just plain irresponsible on everyone's part. I've never used any Dead Down Wind products and I never, ever will. If I ever run into Nelson at a sports show he'll get a good dressing down too.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
When your time comes, own the shot and finish the job

This is good advice in hunting and life in general.

coyote hunter
01-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I dvr`ed it and watched it lastnight and it was VERY poor shot selection. About the only hunting shows that I even watch anymore are Eastman`s and On Your Own Adventures. The more that I watched the others it was kind of a turn off watching someone jumping up and down fist bumping and repeatedly saying " YEAH BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!" and constantly talking about their food plots. Give me Guy and Mike Eastman and any of their guys 14 miles in the middle of the backcountry doing it the way it is supposed to be done anyday !! That being said I really enjoy Randy Newberg`s way of hunting on public land and not necessarily hunting huge animals. He seems to really enjoy what hunting is really about: the experience of trying to outsmart your quarry.

01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
This is good advice in hunting and life in general.
++ for that bitterroot!

Futboler
02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Has anyone seen the last couple Western Extreme shows with Jim Burnsworth? In both I think he's taken some pretty reckless shots. The first being on an elk hunt in which he took a frontal shot with his bow, I shot that I've passed up a number of times and have seen other professional hunters pass up. Then his latest on his Desert Bighorn hunt in Sonora, Mexico; he takes a longer shot in which he doesnt give the range. He says his first arrow finds its mark, but I could never confirm that after watching it in slow motion. Then he lobs a second at 93 yards while the two rams are stacked on top of themselves. This arrow hits close to the spine right behind the lungs of the first but since he supposedly had an arrow in one, I didn't get why he was taking a second with the possibility of hitting that second ram. His show gets sketchier and sketchier if you ask me. Too much pressure is being put on making a kill these days, I'm fine with watching a show that doesnt always have an animal on the ground.

mattm
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
We as viewers of such shows should hammer theses guys when the make shots like this, and then down play the significance of what they have done. Forums like this can be used to spread the word, and then places like FB can be used to send them a message. Also putting pressure on their sponsors, and networks.

Joe Hulburt
02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Has anyone seen the last couple Western Extreme shows with Jim Burnsworth? In both I think he's taken some pretty reckless shots. The first being on an elk hunt in which he took a frontal shot with his bow, I shot that I've passed up a number of times and have seen other professional hunters pass up. Then his latest on his Desert Bighorn hunt in Sonora, Mexico; he takes a longer shot in which he doesnt give the range. He says his first arrow finds its mark, but I could never confirm that after watching it in slow motion. Then he lobs a second at 93 yards while the two rams are stacked on top of themselves. This arrow hits close to the spine right behind the lungs of the first but since he supposedly had an arrow in one, I didn't get why he was taking a second with the possibility of hitting that second ram. His show gets sketchier and sketchier if you ask me. Too much pressure is being put on making a kill these days, I'm fine with watching a show that doesnt always have an animal on the ground.

I haven't seen the episode involving a full frontal shot on an elk but if I do I will email him and give him my thoughts on it. I've met the man briefly and he seems really down to earth and I get the feeling he would take any input seriously. It isn't so much I feel HE shouldn't take that shot as I have learned it best to not decide what is right for other people (sometimes they are a lot better than me!) but as a TV show host I think they need to stick to the basics of what entry level hunters should be doing and taking a full frontal shot is not it. I'm sure some people can probably do it and have great results and if so Burnsworth is one of them but clearly the danger is every new archery that looks up to the guy will think they can too. The problem is they don't hunt 300 days a year and will be more prone to the jitters many of us face when taking our one shot a year at an elk. The target on that shot is small and the risk high! I will always pass.

As for the sheep his first shot was 73 yards which is farther than I will shoot at a game animal but he did get the job done so I can't judge him for taking that shot but again wish he would stick to more fundamental stuff on TV. The goal of bowhunting should be to NEVER screw up and that means only taking high probability shots.

At any rate, I've never seen Burnsworth do anything comparable to the pathetic attempt of shooting that little moose that was displayed on American Archer as it was walking nearly straight away. And on the third day! It's almost like Tom Nelson couldn't get out of the woods fast enough so he flings a horrible shot at a poorly presented dink of a moose. I removed his show from the DVR schedule that's for sure....

hardstalk
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
That episode caught me off guard due to the fact that Tom nelson didn't miss a beat he was all smiles and life was fine. I had to rewind it and take a second look. "yep its sticking up out of his a##".I told myself. Not what I expect to see from guys representing what bowhunting is all about. As for Jim burnsworth I have a ton of respect for I know there is more than enough contreversy out there for what is ethical and what's not in reality it boils down to self confidence in your own ability. I think Jim made a good shot on the sheep and an impressive second shot as well. Would I have taken the shot probably not.I was also impressed by watching the guy shoot a baseball at 100 yards. And the last episode I watched he threaded mesquite trees at 30 yards to make a beutiful shot on a deer 20 yards past the trees.

Futboler
02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I was by no means downplaying Jim's abilities as an archer, I think he's a phenomenal shot and definitely has range that only comes from tons of practice. I can't stop watching his shows because like Eastman's he specializes in Western big game. I follow his philosophy on sticking a 2nd arrow in an animal even if it is slightly out of range and his 2nd shot on that sheep was spectacular. I just thought there was the risk of tagging that other ram. Risk was greater than the reward for me. I brought it up bc that was the 2nd week in a row I thought he made a questionable decision.

Kevin Root
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Filming hunting shows has got to be one of the more difficult things to get on film. These folks surly must get a lot of pressure to get the kill shots on film as well. I'd say I'd be ok watching them pass on shots and be ok with watching them hunt for weeks and not kill anything on that adventure. In the real world with sponsors and all, I'd imagine they get/feel a ton of pressure to get something dead on the ground and on film to make the shows.

I have to admit I have sadly missed shots or had poor shots needing another shot to bring an animal down. Most of these have been without a camera person filming. My hat is off to the hunter who can say all their kill shots and hunts have been one shot kills and "all on film". I'm not sure I'd want all the filming pressure these folks have on the hunting shows and putting themselves out there in the public eye.

BOHNTR
02-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I have to admit I have sadly missed shots or had poor shots needing another shot to bring an animal down. Most of these have been without a camera person filming. My hat is off to the hunter who can say all their kill shots and hunts have been one shot kills and "all on film". I'm not sure I'd want all the filming pressure these folks have on the hunting shows and putting themselves out there in the public eye.

+1 Kevin Root!

Joe Hulburt
02-03-2012, 09:33 AM
If Tom Nelson had taken a high percentage shot (broadside) and made a poor shot and admitted to it right away rather than trying to say things were going as planned I bet nobody would have ever really given it a second thought.

What he did isn't defensible as a bowhunter. My opinion anyhow....