PDA

View Full Version : GoPro

bluedunn0
01-30-2012, 10:38 AM
watched the X Games this past weekend. They were really pushing the GoPro cams. Anyone use these for backcountry hunt filming?

Brocka
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I got one for Christmas, I plan on using it for some hunting this season. I am curious as to how it will turn out since you cant zoom...

Graylight
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
They are cool for filler footage but do not rely on good shot footage from them unless you are at 10 yards! The footage is crisp and as real as it gets, just not usable as a shot camera... Tried several times now at 27 yards, to 43 yards... You can't see anything but a small dot! Cool cam's though...

BigSurArcher
01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
My dad got one for our NV hunt. It was really fun for capturing stuff like dicking around in camp and packing clips and stuff. After our hunt we did some trout fishing and it was great for filming that since you can stick it under water and film the fish fight up to the shore.

Here's one of our clips. Note... don't use the fully waterproof back unless you are in a downpour, or filming underwater. It has a really tough time picking up sound fully enclosed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiTwwGEh6IE

bluedunn0
01-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the input. Sounds like they have their place in camp. Just not the best for in the field...

Drhorsepower
01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Heres a good blog on filming your own hunts. It is from Tim Burnett off of solo hunters tv.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Heres a god blog on filming your own hunts. It is from Tim Burnett off of solo hunters tv.

you got a link for us, DHP?

Drhorsepower
01-30-2012, 10:37 PM
you got a link for us, DHP?

Oh yea, whoops!
http://solohunterstv.com/blog/general_comments/static-and-flash-filming-solo-style/

Bitterroot Bulls
01-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks. Gotchya now.

purehunter
01-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Hey guys, first post here. Newby!

I have also been checking out these cameras for the same type of deal. I can think of several times where these cameras would have been awesome to bring along. There is a model that has built in GPS capabilities which could make another interesting additive to your hunting arsenal. If you are videoing you can see exactly where you were when you shot the crittter or whatever encounter you're videoing. They seem to be better quality as well. Still doing research though...

http://contour.com/products

dustyboots
02-07-2012, 02:01 PM
I used one on my elk hunt this year good for closeups and filler shots but definitely will need an additional camera(s) to really capture everything. Great cams that do have they're place though also don't even try filming in really low light conditions with one

bigshot
02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
we used a go pro camera for our hunt in Colorado this year and we were very pleased with it. Wish they had one with a telephoto lens. The video quality was excellent.

Montana
08-08-2012, 07:47 AM
BigSur... I'm thinking of going GoPro.. Can you take just regular picture with this camera? Do they turn out well? I would be concerned taking pictures of game, it gives it a weird wide angle view or something like that.

Guess it doesn't have to directed at BigSur only:) Anyone else know?

Kevin Root
08-08-2012, 09:56 AM
BigSur... I'm thinking of going GoPro.. Can you take just regular picture with this camera? Do they turn out well? I would be concerned taking pictures of game, it gives it a weird wide angle view or something like that.

Guess it doesn't have to directed at BigSur only:) Anyone else know?

It does take a regular pictures or interval pictures but one needs to be close to the subject, not having a zoom lens. Depending on the setting and if you crop it afterwards in some photo edit software it turns out well. It takes a bit to get used to the interface with the camera settings though and unless you get one with a viewer add on, you can't see or crop the picture ahead of time to see it before taking the shot. It's not the best option in my opinion to be used as a point and shoot still camera but it does have that function.

If you interested in GoPro, their site is pretty informative.

http://gopro.com

Montana
08-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks Kevin...