PDA

View Full Version : Buddy heater

chad
01-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone have any experience with these in a wall tent? I use a 16x14 ft tent and have been debating between a buddy heater and a wood stove. Hunting in CO wilderness won't allow a chain saw so that is the pain. It seems the ease of instant on off of the heater is nice. Any thoughts at all would bE great. Camping around 10k ft late sept.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-30-2012, 09:11 PM
We use a buddy heater a lot. It takes the chill off the air, but doesn't heat like a wood stove. It has a carbon monoxide detector that automatically shuts it off if the levels get high, but do you want to trust your life to it as you sleep?

If I had to have one I would choose the wood stove every time.

Get a wood stove. Most average size stoves will put off so much heat in even your big tent that you could walk around in your underwear. You will also be able to dry out all of your stuff. You couldn't do that with a Buddy heater.

elk*hunter
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Big wall tent for something that small, but you will have a little bit of heat. The elevation might be problematic because I think that those catalytic heaters need a certain amount of oxygen to operate properly. I would recommend a stove, even though you can't sport the chainsaw you get enough wood with a sharp hand saw and ax. Key is sharp, or if you have stock and the time you can pack some split wood in with you.

chad
01-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Do you find it hard to cut wood after a long day hunting? I just know that most nights I don't even feel like cooking dinner. Just wonder when people cut the wood?

Ikeepitcold
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I have and use a buddy heater in my wall tent and like it a lot. Mine has a blower in it also that uses D batteries to power it. Warms it up nice while your sleeping and there's something about the reddish glow that makes me know I'm in elk camp when I wake up at nite. Never have had any problems with it but I've heard they won't stay lit if you way up in elevation. I know of some outfitters that use them in all their tents and along with a lantern it warms it up a lot.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
You can gather wood OK. I have cut plenty of firewood with an Oregon saw though. When I pack in with a wall tent, the first bit of business is getting the tent up. The second bit is getting wood. I would not want to be cutting wood at the end of the day. Then I go hunting.

Most of our tent camps are planned locations, so we have wood cut before season.

bluedunn0
01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Simms stoves work awesome. Pair that with a 32" crosscut saw from traditionalwoodworkers.com and you will never regret it.

T43
01-31-2012, 09:19 AM
If your hunting in the cold and plan to be gone more than a few days you could easily pack a small chainsaw and a stove in place of a buddy and the amount of fuel you will need to run it. I have the Big Buddy with the blower, it will suck down 2 of the little bottles in a night if it gets cold. IF I had a wall tent I would definitely use a stove.

Jon Boy
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
If your hunting in the cold and plan to be gone more than a few days you could easily pack a small chainsaw and a stove in place of a buddy and the amount of fuel you will need to run it. I have the Big Buddy with the blower, it will suck down 2 of the little bottles in a night if it gets cold. IF I had a wall tent I would definitely use a stove.

You cant take a chain saw into the wilderness area legally

T43
01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Your right, it should say small handsaw.

Brocka
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
My buddy & I used a buddy heater in our wall tent on our first trip to Idaho, This year we are getting a wood stove. It worked good but you just cant replace that wood stove heat!

Z Barebow
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Not backcountry, (Base camp) but I used a Buddy Heater on my nylon cabin tent. (Lows in the upper teens to low 20's).

I have my connected on a long hose and connect to a 11 or 20 lb bottle (Located outside to conserve space). Nothing sucks more than running out of fuel during the night! It definitely takes the chill out, but won't work well to dry clothes. Propane heat doesn't seem to dry like wood heat. If I had a stove cutout in a tent, I would choose wood.

Kevin Root
02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Only tip I have on the Buddy heater is to make sure you place it on something that does not melt :D. We had on one the floor of a floored tent and used it just to take the bite off the cold in the mornings. It ended up melting the plastic tarp under the tent.