PDA

View Full Version : Fletching question.

mattm
01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm going to start building my own arrows, but have a question about the fletching.

For the guys and gals who build your own arrows are you gluing the fletching straight, helical, or offset.

How many degrees with the offset?

I have never done this before and thought I would give it a go.

I will be using the 2" blazer vanes to start with.

Matt

WyoBowhunter
01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
I would say its a personal preference on what helical if any to use. Some say it helps accuracy but I feel confident in my straight fletched arrows. Goodluck with the new endeavor! It's fun and self fulfilling to fletch your own arrows.

ontarget7
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Try picking up an Arizona EZ Fletch Mini. They work great and put a very sharp Helical with the 2" Blazers

Drhorsepower
02-01-2012, 12:36 AM
How do you guys feel about the shrink wrap fletchings from bobbing and nap? My uncle swears by the nap. I wanted an unbiased opinion though

OR Archer
02-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Always a right helical on my arrows. Most jigs will come with a 12 degree helical clamp. On a short vane like a 2" blazer it might not be as noticeable, but there is helical on the vanes. Like was stated before there are jigs available that will put a real hard helical on a 2" blazer like the Arizona Easy Fletch or the Bohning Tower Jig.

miller1
02-01-2012, 05:31 AM
I fletch my 2" fusions on a right helical, makes a big difference with fixed blade broadheads, pull your bow back just a few inches and lob an arrow fletched both ways and you will see a huge difference on rotation.

RUTTIN
02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I fletch my blazers with the Bohning Blazer Helix jig made just for blazers. It puts a great helical on the blazers and improved my accuracy at longer ranges with my Mangnus stinger broadheads. Really easy to use also. I tried the shrink wrap fletchings and they didn't seem to work as well for me. I do think they are a great idea to take a couple of the shrink wraps with you on a back country hunt, if you need to refletch an arrow in the back country, I can pull out my jet boil, get some water boiling and dip it in, its a quick fix.

dcestnik
02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
2" blazers with a slightly offset helical via a bitzenburger. Tried the helix jig by blazer and it created enough drag to be noticeably louder.

dito
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I use the flex fletch flash 200's do a straight right offset.

Drelk
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Bitzenburger with 2 inch blazers. Bitzenburger customer service is great.

H3Dad
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I helical fletch 2" blaser with a Bitzenburger jig. I clean the entire shaft with rubbing alcohol especially the inside before you glue in your inserts. I use arrow wraps on all my hunting arrows, it really helps you pick up your arrows in flight a lot easier and your vanes will stick much better to a wrap than a bare shaft.