PDA

View Full Version : How do you practice in the winter

brandenbowhunter
01-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Here is a bit of what i do...go to the bowshop when i can...shoot at night after work in the dark by headlights..inside
when it is cold...my four year old shoots with me most of the time!
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/187elk/nightshoot.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/187elk/shootinginside.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/187elk/nightshootb.jpg

jenbickel
01-31-2012, 10:03 PM
I always thought about trying to shoot inside... But I'd probably end up with a whole lot of arrow holes in my walls.

Ikeepitcold
01-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Thats cool. I'm not much of a bow hunter so I think the wife would shoot me if I shot my gun inside! Hahah

Maxhunter
02-01-2012, 06:42 AM
I shoot outside at my local club weather permitting. During the week I can shoot in my detached garage which is 24x34 so I can get ten yards. I mainly work on form when shooting in the garage. I also go to the bow shop once in a while and fling a few.

RUTTIN
02-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I usually shoot in the basement in the winter. I can get 20yds, but like Maxhunter I am working on form and that surprise release in the winter. When it is warm out, I can shoot in the yard out to 90yds.

Doe Nob
02-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Its a challenge for sure when the days are short to get any daylight practice in. I shoot on the weekends and can shoot 10 yards from my kitchen out to the garage. For the record a field tip will punch through an aluminum garage door like tissue paper. :eek:

Kickingmonkey
02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Doe Nob, that's good stuff right there man! LOL!!

mattm
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I shoot 3-4 days a week. Couple of nights at the local archery shop, and in my yard. I can shoot 60 yards if I go across the street from my neighbors garage. 40 yards from middle of road. I get some pretty funny looks from people driving by. I also try to go to as many 3d/3spot tournaments as I can. Pretty good group of us do this on a regular basis.

elk*hunter
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
I do a lot of what you guys do, in the yard, in the garage and at the archery shop when I can afford it. I also go out hiking with my bow, rangefinder and judo points and stump shoot. It gives me a chance to shoot on different terrain to keep me on my toes plus it gives me a reason to get out in the woods.

hardstalk
02-01-2012, 04:40 PM
+1 doe nob but you did not mention that it sounds like a small calliber pistol being fired when the carbon express meets the rollup garage door :). I recently purchased a chronograph and set it up in the garage with a block Target only a couple feet from it. It is very useful for more than arrow speed once you start playing with it. You can depict differences in arrows and how consistant your setup really is. If your all about speed like myself its fun to tinker with strings and speed balls on the string setup to gain a few f.p.s

dcestnik
02-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Try to shoot once a week. When forced indoors its from an upstairs room, through half a stairway across the garage for a total of 12y.

brandenbowhunter
02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Speed is the last thing on a bow I worry about...no bow will ever be faster than the speed of sound...therefore I want the quietest set up possible...but I am a 30" draw...so I get all of the speed out of my bow...last year was hunt with a 495 gr arrow at 287 fps! KE and low noise!

gary5465
02-02-2012, 07:37 AM
I have a shop under my garage. So, I open the shop door, then open the utility room door and go to the other end of the basement. With my back to the basement wall to the end of my shop wall, I got 20 yards. The tricky part is that I have to shoot between the cold air returns on the furnace - about 6 inches. I guess it simulates shooting between trees!! My son who is 12 shoots with me also. No holes in the duct work yet, but we do have duct tape ready,

T43
02-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I can shoot 22 yards inside my shop and I shoot into my barn from a number of different distances. I figure now that we have more snow I'll try shooting with snowshoes on. That will let me get any distance I want.

brandenbowhunter
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
My 4 year old made me shoot from 50 tonight...group was great for shooting in the dark!...He likes it because I shoot from the road! :)

H3Dad
02-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I shoot in my garage at night and only shoot from a few feet away and practice consitency and form.

02-03-2012, 08:46 AM
I shoot in my basement at 7 yds and concentrate on form.

GameSlayer
02-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I shoot at the local archery shop doing leagues once a week, and then at our clubs outdoor range or in my yard when weather permits..
I hope one day when I upgrade house/property I will have or will build a shop that I can shoot at least 20 yards indoors.

First 3-D shoot of the year is tomorrow though, Super Bowl Shoot!!

sjsmallfield
02-03-2012, 06:04 PM
We just got a new house so I will be able to shoot out to 30yds in the backyard. No more having to travel to shoot my bow unless I want to shoot longer distance. I have also been known to shoot in the house when the wife isn't looking. It's going to be a little hard shooting inside the house now. My three year old daughter has a bad habbit of selling me out when I do somthing my wife doesn't like! Lol

Jon Boy
02-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Did my usual hike with a 50 lb pack tonight and decided to shoot with it still on after I was done hiking. I can shoot out to 25 yards in the back yard. I was pretty surprised on how good my groups were with the pack still on.

brandenbowhunter
02-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I have shot an average of 25 arrows a day so far this year...every day but two so far...i was on a plane to ATA and back!

packer58
02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Shooting every day, 25 - 50 arrows out to 70 yrds, got lots of room here at the farm. Getting fine tuned for the Spenceville 3D shoot this weekend...............Gonna be a blast

pronghorn
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
For me, the winter is all about making improvements to my shot process. I shoot daily in my basement at ranges from 3 yards to 10 yards. I do most of my shooting up close and personal working on little issues. My first few tournaments of the year are always my best, because I have been working on my shot. Once your form is perfected, the accuracy follows.

Stringmusic
02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I put on warmer clothes and go shoot outside. Nice to know how you and your bow works when its below zero outside.