PDA

View Full Version : Which Pack?

3Rayz
02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm looking for a hunting pack to hold my Bow, tent, bag, pad, food, etc... and can haul out some meat if needed for a weekend long trip say 1-3 days in Colorado High Country. Which pack would work best? Am looking at Blacks Creek G11, Barbarian Featherlite, or the Eberlestock Blue Widow. Anyone have any thoughts on these packs? Am strictly bow hunting so don't need a gun pack and don't have a ton of money to be spending, $350 max. Any info or thought would be great!!
Thanks

ProtonMadman
02-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I was in the same boat recently, that is until I swung into the local Sportsmans Show and tried out the Wilderness Pack Specialties Bighorn pack. I was thinking something along the lines of a Sitka Bivy 30; something in the 3,000+ cubic inch range, that could haul 3-4 days wroth of gear. I was sold on the Bighorn pack due to walking around with the compact frame with 100lbs of sandbags in it. I bought one on the spot. The pack itself offers perfect pocket placement, 3,000 cubic inches of compartments, and plenty of lashing points. Plus, I can get a 1,400 cubic inch add-on later. This pack is my first external, and weighs slightly more than most packs, but that is not an issue, cause 50lbs in the thing feels like 20. Sorry if I sound a bit preachy about my new pack, but it rocks! The pack should be in the $300 range and is 100% American made, gotta love that!

P.S. the reason I stopped to try the pack out was a head-to-head competition between my neighbor (who had a Wilderness Pack Specialties pack) and my Badlands 4500. We hammered 3 miles of nasty terrain, each carrying 60 pounds, and I was amazed at how his pack handled compared to my 4500. Granted, the 4500 has been an outstanding pack in itself!

T43
02-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I have the J107 Dragonfly and have no real complaints other than the floppy fanny pack on top. I don't see how you can go wrong with the blue widow but the BC packs are intriguing to me as well.

Muleys 24/7
02-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Its definitely hard makeing the choice of a new pack,IMO, I'm in the same boat rite now. I've been reading reviews and watching youtube reviews, trying to narrow it down. From my research it seems like there's good and bad to say about almost every pack, I've narrowed it down to the Eberlestock J107 dragonfly beacuse I like how the pack holds the gun,and all the other great features. I bow hunt as well and that's no problem with adding the bow bucket. But if you bow hunt only I go with the Blue Widow, you can always add attachments for longer hunts if needed. Good luck on your decision.

JNDEER
02-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Eberlestock.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I agree Eberlestock is tough to beat in the sub-$300 arena.

Graylight
02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I know everyone has an opinion and I do know that the ones above are great packs. One thing to consider though is that you WILL need a pack that opens up to 5000 ci + to fit gear and a boned out deer in it with stuff strapped on the outside unless you're into making two trips...

I have successfully used a Badlands 4500 for 4 years in a row now in the Colorado High Country packed down with meat, cape, horns and gear... Not fun and kills the knees but it does work... I usually strap a 2800 on the outside of it to day hunt from camp with and the extra space comes in handy for small items strapped to the pack...

JNDEER
02-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I know everyone has an opinion and I do know that the ones above are great packs. One thing to consider though is that you WILL need a pack that opens up to 5000 ci + to fit gear and a boned out deer in it with stuff strapped on the outside unless you're into making two trips...

I have successfully used a Badlands 4500 for 4 years in a row now in the Colorado High Country packed down with meat, cape, horns and gear... Not fun and kills the knees but it does work... I usually strap a 2800 on the outside of it to day hunt from camp with and the extra space comes in handy for small items strapped to the pack...

How did you fit all your gear and a whole mule deer into a 4500?

Here is a pick of TWO 4500's with 3 days worth of gear and one whole blacktail (minus cape).

brandenbowhunter
02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Look at the new Mystery Ranch Big Horn...I believe you can get it for $290...and has plenty of room to do what you need..i got to play with one a few weeks ago...it was designed with bowhunters in mind.

olchiseltooth
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Eberlestock or Mystery Ranch.

Graylight
02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
The top of the 4500 has a rain-fly which expands outwards to give you extra space. I also have my 2800 strapped on the outside with the light stuff in it as well. It works just fine, you just have to get all your gear, cape and meat together then MAKE it happen...

It appears that the picture above utilizes the older model 4500 system... In order to give it a fair shot, try the newer model! The ones pictured above will fit approximately 35% less in them and have only two outside strap sets for securing equipment to. You would be at a disadvantage with the older model... There's no doubt in my mind that a blacktail and three days of equipment can easily fit into a newer model 4500. I can get a fully boned out blacktail into a 2800 with a cape and antlers and day gear... The 4500 IMO can certainly handle the job... I hope this assists you and good luck...

jenbickel
02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Definitely badlands!!!

ajkissel
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
After being a diehard badlands guy i just recently purchased a blue widow i really like the idea of being able to convert it to my daypack as well as a meat hauler. great all in one pack!

JNDEER
02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
The top of the 4500 has a rain-fly which expands outwards to give you extra space. I also have my 2800 strapped on the outside with the light stuff in it as well. It works just fine, you just have to get all your gear, cape and meat together then MAKE it happen...

It appears that the picture above utilizes the older model 4500 system... In order to give it a fair shot, try the newer model! The ones pictured above will fit approximately 35% less in them and have only two outside strap sets for securing equipment to. You would be at a disadvantage with the older model... There's no doubt in my mind that a blacktail and three days of equipment can easily fit into a newer model 4500. I can get a fully boned out blacktail into a 2800 with a cape and antlers and day gear... The 4500 IMO can certainly handle the job... I hope this assists you and good luck...

Thanks for the Advice...I will look into that. I just assumed 4500 meant....4500? The one on the left is a newer model (maybe only 3-4 years old)..the one on the right is the oldest model, but I got it because of the ability to attach the little backpack to the outside. I use it to hold all of my really light gear.

Graylight
02-09-2012, 10:06 PM
JNDEER... The biggest asset with the new 4500 is the two side bags and a roomier cargo compartment... I hear ya on the 4500 being 4500 but I have found this information for fact as Matt used the older version last year and I was clearly able to pack much more than he was... Hands down! For what it's worth brother...

brandenbowhunter
02-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Get a Mystery Ranch and be done with it! Seriouly...I went through both Bandlands...blowouts...Eberlestock...just floppy...then got a Crew Cab...best choice I have made...packeout tons of game in two years with it...

JNDEER
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
JNDEER... The biggest asset with the new 4500 is the two side bags and a roomier cargo compartment... I hear ya on the 4500 being 4500 but I have found this information for fact as Matt used the older version last year and I was clearly able to pack much more than he was... Hands down! For what it's worth brother...

Thanks.

I will surely be looking into that.

Crown backcountry
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
I am considering a MR CC. How tall r u and what size is your waist. I'm 6'2" 225lb with 36" waist

LintonOutdoors
04-18-2013, 10:56 AM
I really like my eberlestock blue widow as a bowhunter. The expand to haul in camp and then compress down after you drop camp is an awesome feature, as well as they duffel feature which allows you to carry meat and camp out separate and in the first trip. The bow bucket is one of my favorite features as well. The ability to "hunt" with your bow on your back or while you are hiking in is pretty awesome. Almost put that feature to use a couple of season ago. While packing out my elk we stumbled upon a deer, I was able to quickly get my bow off my back and nock an arrow, while standing there with 80+ of meat on my back, that 80lbs of meat and only a 2pt rack, made me double think that one :D

Check out a little video we did. Skip to 5:17 in the video to watch just the Blue Widow section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_WGO3CPnY

In God We Trust
04-19-2013, 01:37 PM
I would go try some different packs on. I am a Badlands only customer because they are tough as hell and the lifetime warranty. That doesn't mean you will like the way a Badlands pack feels. Backpacks are like boots, they all fit different on different people. Some say one is the best and others say another is the best, you have to try them on.

tttoadman
04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I have a unique opportunity to go to Bozeman and try out the Stone Glacier packs in a couple weeks. I am a hard sell on new things. I will share after I will get back.

Caseyu
04-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Embrace the chance. Let us know but i cant imagine yout going to come back wining!!

hardstalk
04-25-2013, 05:58 AM
I have a unique opportunity to go to Bozeman and try out the Stone Glacier packs in a couple weeks. I am a hard sell on new things. I will share after I will get back.

Prepare to be amazed! The look and feel of the sg packs is unreal. You will grab one from the shelf and be surprised about the weight. And it doing everything that kurt claims. The first time I held one I was really surprised!

mav_7mm
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
IMO all the packs everyone on here has been suggesting are great. I just got the Blacks Creek Barbarian last week. The only experience I have with it so far is when walking my dog every morning since I got it and all I can say is I LOVE it!!! I'd say try everything your looking at and go with what the one that makes you say "Oh ya this is the pack for me"

tttoadman
05-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Prepare to be amazed! The look and feel of the sg packs is unreal. You will grab one from the shelf and be surprised about the weight. And it doing everything that kurt claims. The first time I held one I was really surprised!

The new solo 3300. I got the meat bag and the gun holder. Pretty impressed with the fit and the weight. This should allow me to retire my day pack depending on the hunt specifics.

I don't have any water on here. I have never used a bladder for water. I have a little work to do, but this is getting close. With the gun and the belt goodies, I am at 38lbs. I am looking at the scope bag mounted on each side to pick up any remaining items. Widens the load, but keeps it closer to my back.

Next images will hopefully have some hardware stuck out the top. Thanks to everybody who provides useful input for the rest of us.

griz
06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Tenzing 6000! Has a game holler ,different compartments,bow carrier. It's lite and though. It will suck down to be a good day pack!

Montana Chrome
07-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Mystery Ranch Crew cab - but its a bit pricey. Worth every penny.

ICEMAN3
07-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Got my TZ 4000 and it is awesome. Super comfortable. Holds a lot of weight and distributes it really well across your torso. I would recommend looking at Tenzing. My group Twisted Addiction is sponsored by them!

NVbowhnter
08-07-2013, 03:07 PM
I have the Eberlestock J34 Just One, It is awesome, the only complaints I have are that the water bladder pocket is kinda trick to fit my bladder into,that may just be my bladder, Eberlestock makes one that might fit better. My other wish is that it has some small accesorie pockets inside the top pocket so my gear isnt loose in there, still by far my favorite pack, my tenzing stays at home and I use this.

Tag stew
08-13-2013, 07:20 PM
I have the just one also, just used it for scouting and so far I really like it!