PDA

View Full Version : Good archery unit with one point?

Joe Hulburt
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Anybody have any suggestions on units with ample public land and good topography for still hunting with a bow? I'm also interested in hunting a water hole although my son doesn't sound at all interested in sitting it out.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to keep your advice off the internet. :)

birdhunter
02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I would stay away from the archery only tags. When you buy a normal tag in Wyoming, you can use that tag the whole month of September for archery. Units that have archery only tags usually have seasons of the first two weeks in september. After that, the regular tag holders can hunt archery the last two weeks as well. If you dont connect with your bow, then you can always come back in a month and try with a rifle if it is possible. The plus side to archery only tags is that the hunting pressure is limited. If you only plan on a single trip hunt, it may be for you.

Joe Hulburt
02-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info Birdhunter! I am thinking we will avoid the archery only units for the reasons you mentioned. I got caught off guard last time we drew and thought we had rifle only tags until a week or so before the gun season when I learned that our unit opened on Aug 15 for archery. Had we known that earlier we would have done things a little different! It pays to learn all about each states system... This time we are going to head out there for the archery opener and if we have to make another trip for the gun opener but I don't think that will be the case.