PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Day Elk

03-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Has anyone else tried the 'Overnighter" method when elk hunting? This is used by some when bulls aren't that active in the day but bugle and rut hard at night. The idea is that you follow the bull all night and call to it, keeping him worked up until dawn, then move in at first light. If things don't work out first thing, and the elk go dormant in the day, you sleep though the afternoon like they do and go hard again just before dark.

Any other experiences or alternate methods for elk that are lazy in the day and active only at night?

trophyhill
03-04-2011, 12:21 PM
i have not tried that but i have driven the forest or logging roads at nite throwing out location bugles and getting responses. this has put me smack dab in the middle of them in the morning. i learned of this tactic in "The PlayBook" by ElkNut and it really works!

Elkcrazedfrk
03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
I too have had good luck going out at night and listenig for their bugles and then goin after em early morning. Downfall is you lay there in bed hearing those bugles over and over in your mind hich leads to almost unbearable anticipation which leads to not alot of sleep.. Gotta love it!!

RUTTIN
03-04-2011, 04:48 PM
In Utah the rut does not kick in until our bow hunt is almost over so the bulls don't rut much in the day, but at night you can hear a few bugling off and on, giving you at least an idea of where to look in the morning

Da White Shoe
03-04-2011, 10:21 PM
There has been quite a few times that we have bivwacked overnight to be in position for elk that were out of reach for a morning hunt if we had to come in all the way from the main camp. Kind of of different twist from your point, but a good trick to keep in mind when warrented.