PDA

View Full Version : Water Purifiers?

Muleys 24/7
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I have been looking at water purifiers trying to make the decision on which one to get for back country hunting.I was thinking the "Sawyer" brand, they are really light weight and seem to fit the criteria for backcountry purification.

What do you guys use, and recommendations?

Montana
02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm not saying it's the answer because I am skeptical too. Mainly because of the price. But last year I used the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro and it was awesome... Combined with the Platypus water bag the combined weight was 7 ozs (or something crazy like that). I didn't get sick and I can only say so far so GREAT!!

Muleys 24/7
02-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm not saying it's the answer because I am skeptical too. Mainly because of the price. But last year I used the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro and it was awesome... Combined with the Platypus water bag the combined weight was 7 ozs (or something crazy like that). I didn't get sick and I can only say so far so GREAT!! That dose sound good I'll check them out, if I'm not mistaken I belive the swayer brand has one that weighs 3oz.

T43
02-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I use the Sawyer squeeze filter. Works great for me.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I use a 3.5 ounce Steripen Adventurer Opti. Throw in an extra ounce for the prefilter that screws on the Nalgene. You save a lot of weight just in the amount of water you have to pack. It worked exceptionally well for me last year.

http://www.steripen.com/

Ikeepitcold
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I use the MSR. I can't remember the model but it has a red top with a Handel type pump. It works awesome! Just keep in mind that if your hunting late season to make sure you clear out ALL of the water. Mine cracked when the water froze because I didn't take proper care of it. I picked up another to replace the broken one.

Muleys 24/7
02-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll start checking them out.

Kevin Root
02-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I use a 3.5 ounce Steripen Adventurer Opti. Throw in an extra ounce for the prefilter that screws on the Nalgene. You save a lot of weight just in the amount of water you have to pack. It worked exceptionally well for me last year.

http://www.steripen.com/

The Steripen is a cool rig. I've been using a Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter. 11 ounce. Instead of Nalgene which I used for years, I pump the filtered water in lighter store bought water bottles from a tip from David Long's book to save a couple more ounces from my Nalgene bottle weight.

3.5 oz with an extra oz for the prefilter is so much lighter. I read you need 1.75 inch dia opening, 1 liter or less volume for Steripen. BB is your Nalgene standard or have they come out with something lighter now? I'm thinking my store bought cheapo but lightweight bottles are shy from the 1.75" dia. opening I'd need.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-15-2012, 09:44 AM
The Steripen is a cool rig. I've been using a Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter. 11 ounce. Instead of Nalgene which I used for years, I pump the filtered water in lighter store bought water bottles from a tip from David Long's book to save a couple more ounces from my Nalgene bottle weight.

3.5 oz with an extra oz for the prefilter is so much lighter. I read you need 1.75 inch dia opening, 1 liter or less volume for Steripen. BB is your Nalgene standard or have they come out with something lighter now? I'm thinking my store bought cheapo but lightweight bottles are shy from the 1.75" dia. opening I'd need.

You are right Kevin, big mouth bottles only. Nalgenes aren't too heavy anyway. The real weight savings is in not having to pack so much heavy water around. When your Nalgene gets low on water, just stop at the next trickle of water and fill up!

Kevin Root
02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
You are right Kevin, big mouth bottles only. Nalgenes aren't too heavy anyway. The real weight savings is in not having to pack so much heavy water around. When your Nalgene gets low on water, just stop at the next trickle of water and fill up!

Thanks Bitteroot Bulls, it's been hard for me to give up my ol Nalgenes and I'm not big on the bladders other than for storage at camp where there is not much water. The wide mouth Nalgenes I have are 3.5 oz. I have not weighed the store bought but I tried it last year. I saw Nalgene has a bag version with big mouth and it is a bit lighter but it does not look as durable.

Thanks for the Steripen review Bitterroot Bulls. It looks like a nice rig.

Wyoflightmedic
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Pro Hiker by Katadyn

NDHunter
02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Anyone use iodine or aquamira tablets?

Kevin Root
02-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Anyone use iodine or aquamira tablets?

There is also the Aquamira drops using chlorine dioxide, very similar to the tablets. Chlorine dioxide is iodine and chlorine free. Chlorine dioxide is a significantly stronger oxidant than iodine, with greater pathogen killing power. Unlike iodine, chlorine dioxide does not discolor water, nor does it give water an unpleasant taste.

I've yet to try it but I've been wanting to. I've just been using my filter but that's a light way. I did try the iodine years ago but did not like the taste much.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-16-2012, 08:55 AM
One thing to remember is chlorine and iodine are not as effective as either UV sterilization or proper filtering. I carry chlorine tablets as a low-weight backup to the Steripen.

sjsmallfield
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
If you guys are looking for lighter weight storage bottles check out the Platypus Soft Bottles. Super light weight, very compact when empty, don't make as much noise as a store bottle and I was told you can run over them with a car when filled.( i.e. my friend is an idiot) Good luck!

Kevin Root
02-17-2012, 04:36 PM
If you guys are looking for lighter weight storage bottles check out the Platypus Soft Bottles. Super light weight, very compact when empty, don't make as much noise as a store bottle and I was told you can run over them with a car when filled.( i.e. my friend is an idiot) Good luck!

Weight looks good, .9 oz for a liter. 3.5 oz for my old Nalgene wide mouth. Opening looks like it is a bit small for the Steripen, unless I'm missing it. It needs at least 1.75". I think I'll make a trip to check them out this weekend though at the REI near me. Thanks for the tip.

Umpqua Hunter
02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Bitterroot: I second what you have said. I love the Steripen, its compact and lightweight. Also by taking chlorine tablets as back-ups, my Steripen batteries can become backup batteries for my GPS, flashlights, etc in a jam.

lawsonw
02-19-2012, 01:44 PM
I prefer the steripen, lightweight. store bought bottles make a lot of noise when expanding and contracting, tablets are a good backup but have a long contact time to be safe.

Elk Hunter
02-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Katadyn Pocket Filter - its bullet proof! Not really, but it is tough and I have seen plastic handle filters break in the backcountry. Once upon a time I carried water in Nalgene bottles. I will still carry water in bottles if I need it to get through a dry area, but for a long time now I use the 3L camelback which will usually get me through the day and, because it is so accessible, I think you stay better hydrated. I also carry the Sigg stainless steel wide mouth bottles now. They handle hot water better, no chemical leaching, and can be used to thaw frozen boots should that become necessary.

BobcatJerry
03-03-2012, 10:39 PM
MRS MiniWorks EX and a steri pen. The MRS screws on top of the large mouth water bottle or the inlet to the platypus bag in the pack. Works good and occasionally have to clean the filter if you have a lot of sediment. It filters out Cryptosporidium which has been critical in the areas we hunted due to the cattle that were run in the basin. No waiting, but you have to pump a little and spend about 15-20 minutes to make a days worth of water including camp water.

I have a steri pen but just couldn't trust it on my last hunt. I was afraid I'd get the squirts in the middle of my hunt and wanted to try it closer to home. I carried it for light weight purification in my day pack, encase I needed it. You fellows who used it, do you feel that it does the job, it would be nice? We use UV light at most water treatment plants. I haven't heard any negative comments in my inquiries. Probably give it a try next time, especially if there are no cattle.

I also carry a little purification straw i got at Dicks or Gander MT. Weighs like a feather. I put it into my emergency kit as a final back up should things go wrong.

I've had Giardia before on a trip to Mexico. Not pleasant.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
I have a steri pen but just couldn't trust it on my last hunt. I was afraid I'd get the squirts in the middle of my hunt and wanted to try it closer to home. I carried it for light weight purification in my day pack, encase I needed it. You fellows who used it, do you feel that it does the job, it would be nice? We use UV light at most water treatment plants. I haven't heard any negative comments in my inquiries. Probably give it a try next time, especially if there are no cattle.

Well, I used mine a lot, without any trouble. There is a bit of trust you need I guess, but the technology is tested and verified. People feel confident with iodine or chlorine, and those methods are the least effective.