PDA

View Full Version : Four season backpacking tent

eye in sky
03-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Anybody have a recommendation on a good, lightweight 4 season tent for backpacking. I typically hunt The beginning of Nov. between 7,000 and 11,000.

DryFlyGuy
03-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I think most would agree that Hilleberg has some great options.

eye in sky
03-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I think most would agree that Hilleberg has some great options.

Thanks. Do you recommend one particular model? I am looking for a three person tent. Do you recommend a one or two entance tent? I was looking at either the Nallo 3 or Kaitum 3.

Guy
03-07-2011, 10:48 AM
The Hilleberg Allak is a very killer product. It is a touch heavier than some but it is completely bullet proof. Two person, four season with double vestibules. Check it out at, www.hilleberg.com.

eye in sky
03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll take a close look at the Allak. I wonder if it is big enough for two 6' plus guys.

spotnstalk1
03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1

MT backcountry hunter
03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
The line from Hilleberg is by far the best 4 season tents that you can buy. I personally like the Nallo 2 GT. I really like the GT because you get so much vestible area. I feel that that is huge when you can keep your rifle/pack inside the tent. It is also big enough to cook in if you are in a big storm.I work for a online company called highcalibergear.com and we carry the full line of Hilleberg tents. We will special order any of there tents for you as well.

eye in sky
03-11-2011, 02:44 PM
The line from Hilleberg is by far the best 4 season tents that you can buy. I personally like the Nallo 2 GT. I really like the GT because you get so much vestible area. I feel that that is huge when you can keep your rifle/pack inside the tent. It is also big enough to cook in if you are in a big storm.I work for a online company called highcalibergear.com and we carry the full line of Hilleberg tents. We will special order any of there tents for you as well.

Thanks. Is the Nallo 2 GT big enough for two 6' 1" large framed guys or would you suggest the Nallo 3 GT?

DryFlyGuy
03-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks. Do you recommend one particular model? I am looking for a three person tent. Do you recommend a one or two entance tent? I was looking at either the Nallo 3 or Kaitum 3.

I am going with the Kaitum 3. I like the idea of two entrances and two vestibules so my partner and I can sleep head to foot (more room). I don't know if it better or worse than the Nallo 3 for your application, but I'll let you know if I don't like the Kaitum 3 around the first of october!

Firearrow
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1

For a 4 season tent. Don't think so. The rain fly, hell even the shell of the tent is to thin. I would use this the BA Fly Creek for only early season CA A season hunts, where there might be only a slight chance of rain, let alone snow, hail, or wind. The Heliberg is the best option. Bomb proof, but somewhat heavier.

eye in sky
03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'm leaning toward the Nallo 3 based on weight alone.Five pounds five ounces is hard to beat.

Futboler
04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
If you're willing to saddle up and invest on a backpacking tipi that acts like a wall tent.......check out a product called kifaru. A 4-man kirafu tipi weights just over 5 lbs and that includes a stove. If you hunt with a partner in November this is a great option. A little pricey but it brings all the luxuries of a wall tent on a backpack hunt. We got a foot and a half of snow on opening week in the backcountry of MT last season. Warm clothes and boots felt good when we were packing out a couple bulls.

http://www.kifaru.net/tipi_4man.html

Jon Boy
07-09-2011, 11:43 PM
is the stove and pipe packable with that tipi?

anglinarcher
08-03-2011, 08:45 AM
is the stove and pipe packable with that tipi?

I don't have that exact setup, but I've seen them a few times. The stove box collapses down to almost nothing, and the pipe rolls up inside itself.

I have a golite teepee which I'm looking to modify to take a stack.

elivingston
08-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks. Is the Nallo 2 GT big enough for two 6' 1" large framed guys or would you suggest the Nallo 3 GT?

I've got the Akto for solo hunting and the Nallo 3 GT for hunting/camping with others.

Get the Nallo 3 GT. You can fit 3 people in it, but honestly, I don't want to be that cozy with my hunting buddy's unless I have to. :-)

The cool thing about the Nallo 3 GT is that it's lighter than the Kaitum 2 GT (also a killer tent), but actually has more space. The extended vestibule is great, too. It's big enough to hold 2 full packs, boots, bows/rifles - basically everything, e.g. you won't need a tarp.

Can't say enough good things about the Hilleberg tents. They're worth the $$ for sure.

Gman
08-23-2011, 03:20 PM
If you're willing to saddle up and invest on a backpacking tipi that acts like a wall tent.......check out a product called kifaru. A 4-man kirafu tipi weights just over 5 lbs and that includes a stove. If you hunt with a partner in November this is a great option. A little pricey but it brings all the luxuries of a wall tent on a backpack hunt. We got a foot and a half of snow on opening week in the backcountry of MT last season. Warm clothes and boots felt good when we were packing out a couple bulls.

http://www.kifaru.net/tipi_4man.html

+1 on this. Wall tent comfort. Ultra lightweight. I'm a sawtooth guy myself - a little different than the 4 man - but they're all great... And warm.

dhershberger
08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I'd recommend Tarptents even though the are not known as 4 season tents, they will work great in tough conditions and are extremely lightweight. Even if they're on the expensive side, they're worth it!

eye in sky
08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting the nallo 3 gt. It actually arrives tomorrow. I'm looking forward to setting it up and using it this weekend to take my 4 yr. old on her first camping trip.

elivingston
08-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting the nallo 3 gt. It actually arrives tomorrow. I'm looking forward to setting it up and using it this weekend to take my 4 yr. old on her first camping trip.

Good for you! Your daughter will love the vestibule. :-)