PDA

View Full Version : Why paper targets during the off season ??????????????

ontarget7
02-14-2012, 07:14 AM
The last few month I have gotten into shooting spots during the off season to really dial in my form etc. In this game the slightest thing in your equipment and your form can make or break your performance. Really if you think about it there is know difference when it comes to archery hunting ethically I might add. We want to be the best we can be and we owe it to the animals we hunt at least IMO. So you might ask why target archery.
It gives you the time in the off season to really focus on your form and equipment. Lets just say it will really fine tunes you when your goal is to hit the 10 ring or X ring on a Vegas face target. Then if you take it another step up and compete in this fashion the pressure is amazing and gets you going like calling in a bugling bull. So in that aspect it could have some benefits as well when it comes time to controlling your nerves.
I just got back from my first competitive target archery competition in Vegas and I must say the competition was tough and the nerves were even tougher. I entered the Bowhunter Freestyle Flight Division and there were about 160 shooters competing in that class. Had a blast and can't wait for next year to compete for that top position and really fine tune my skills for what I like to do. That my friends is to have a bow in my hand and the reason I think I will be hooked on the target archery in the off season. Competing in Vegas was a great experience and would highly recommend it. Lord willing I will see you there next year.

chuffness
02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Always wanted to do a competition. Never got around to it... I need to make some time and go.

chad
02-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I have been shooting at my local shop for a few years and have wanted to get into a little more competition. I was wondering what kind of scores did the top five guys post? I'm sure 300 but how many rounds would u have to shoot 60 x's to win? (or is it 30 arrows)?? Thanks for the info

ontarget7
02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I have been shooting at my local shop for a few years and have wanted to get into a little more competition. I was wondering what kind of scores did the top five guys post? I'm sure 300 but how many rounds would u have to shoot 60 x's to win? (or is it 30 arrows)?? Thanks for the info

Here is a link of the scores. I came in 8th place only 3 points down from the top shooter. Click on Bowhunter flights
http://www.ianseo.net/TourData/2012/198/IC.php

300's are tough to come by on a Vegas face target in BHFS. Its a 3 day shoot 1 round each day. 10 ends 3 arrows each total 30 arrows for each round. The 10 ring is about the size of a fifty cent piece the x ring about the size of a nickel. Last year was the only year for someone to shoot 300's in each round.

Shane C

elk*hunter
02-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Nice job! Perfect practice makes perfect! Target archery seems like it would be loads of fun and could improve my shooting skill...it is definitely on my bucket list.

packer58
02-17-2012, 10:17 PM
ontarget7,

Congradulations on your finish, I don't know much about target archery. 3 points between you and the top shooter must have been a nerve racking experience.

ontarget7
02-19-2012, 10:00 AM
ontarget7,

Congradulations on your finish, I don't know much about target archery. 3 points between you and the top shooter must have been a nerve racking experience.

Thanks,
Definitely looking to close that gap for next year.

mattm
02-20-2012, 07:32 AM
So I have a question regarding the scoring. I was looking through the results on the link that was posted, and noticed under the Freestyle unlimited championship male that the winner shot 300, 300, 300, with 86x, but his score is 1140. What am I missing? I can see the column that is titled SO. Is the extra 240 from a shoot out score or something?

BTW great job on your placing!

Matt

ontarget7
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
So I have a question regarding the scoring. I was looking through the results on the link that was posted, and noticed under the Freestyle unlimited championship male that the winner shot 300, 300, 300, with 86x, but his score is 1140. What am I missing? I can see the column that is titled SO. Is the extra 240 from a shoot out score or something?

BTW great job on your placing!

Matt
Thanks Matt
You would be correct, more than likely from the shoot off of the top shooters in that Freestyle Unlimited Championship Division. Looking forward to entering that division in a few years.

Shane

mattm
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Shane there are alot of 3d shoots, and even some 300 and 450 shoots over in western CO/Eastern UT. The next 3d shoot is going to be in Vernal the first weekend in March. Also a 3d shoot toward the end March one in Moab.