PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Hunting Boots?

graybird
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I need to purchase a pair of light weight hunting boots. I've been wearing a pair of Rocky boots for a few years now, but they are no longer water proof. I prefer something that is uninsulated with a soft sole.

I've been looking at the following boots: Danner Pronghorn GTX, Danner Jackal II GTX, Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker, Hanwag Banks GTX and Hanwag Cheyenne GTX.

Any thoughts or comments about the above boots, or another I haven't listed, is much appreciated.

Brocka
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I myself am in the same boat, I'm torn between the Pronghorn & the Under Armour Ridge Reaper. I was impressed with how light the UA boot is. Have you checked that out?

graybird
02-15-2012, 01:15 PM
I myself am in the same boat, I'm torn between the Pronghorn & the Under Armour Ridge Reaper. I was impressed with how light the UA boot is. Have you checked that out?

I have not looked at the Under Armour boot. Guess I'd better add another to the list.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Colorado Cowboy
02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
I have the Danner Pronghorn and it is a great boot. Very comfortable from the getgo.

labman
02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Lowa Tibet Pro GTX

Brocka
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
I have not looked at the Under Armour boot. Guess I'd better add another to the list.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey no problem, So far I am pretty impressed with my other UA gear and I haven't really heard anything bad about the boots yet, I am pretty sure its their first boot so i am guessing there will be a few things that get changed for next years models but so far they look/feel to be a quality product.

FieldNStream
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Check out cabelas Ultralight hunting boot by meindl, 800 gram thinsulate available, 3.2 lbs. $220.00 bought a pair last year and I love how comfortable they are.

backstraps
02-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Some of the above mentioned are not very (light weight).

Try the Lowa Renegade. I've had good luck with those.

I tried on some UA Speed Freaks this weekend they felt good and were true to size, but didn't buy them.

sjsmallfield
02-16-2012, 01:03 AM
Danner Jackel II for me. Love em. Light weight and they cling to the rocks really well. I think the new Danner Pronghorns will be my next pair of boots but not for the early season. Good luck!

wolftalonID
02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Danner Pronghorn is by far the best boot I have ever hunted in. As long as they make them, I will be using them.

FieldNStream
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Check out cabelas lightweight hunter by meindl 3.2 lbs

Ikeepitcold
02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Lowa Tibet Pro GTX

You can't go wrong with the Lowa Tibet. I love mine, I also have the sheep hunters and are a great insulated choice.

graybird
02-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll be heading to Sportsmans Warehouse this weekend, or next, to starting trying some on.

Thanks again!

Graybird

Brocka
02-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll be heading to Sportsmans Warehouse this weekend, or next, to starting trying some on.

Thanks again!

Graybird

I walked around Sportmans warehouse today with the UA boot on my left foot and the Danner Pronghorn on my right...I couldn't really tell a difference & ended up going with the Danner because they had a 1 year warranty compared to the UA of 30 days...

graybird
03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I ended up going with the Danner Pronghorn today.

I just found out I drew a limited entry turkey tag for Colorado that has taken 3 years to draw, so I need some new boots for scouting and they should be ready to go by opening day.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Graybird

size16
04-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Me and my Brother go hunting, and we used to have the hardest time finding hunting boots. I have wear 16's and he wears 15's. We Get our the Best Hunting Boots (https://www.xlfeet.com/Large-Hunting-Boots-size-7-18-s/44998.htm) at XLfeet.com. I prefert the BOGS, since they are super warm, and waterproof, but if my feet were smaller, I would definitely go with the Magnum Boots.

Most of the Magnum Boots have the patented ion-mask surface technology too. It's awesome, and they have a video of it at the bottom of this page (https://www.xlfeet.com/Large-Hunting-Boots-size-7-18-s/44998.htm) that will amaze you! It enables sweat to escape your boots, while leaving the outside waterproof, and resistant to chemicals. It was designed for military uniforms, and it's perfect for hunting! Since gortex in boots like danner can break down after absorbing blood, we prefer magnum with ion-mask.

Our recommendation would be the Magnum Spider 8.1 HPi - MultiCam (https://www.xlfeet.com/Magnum-Spider-8-1-HPi-MultiCam-p/5380.htm)

JBudd
07-11-2012, 12:45 PM
You can't go wrong with the pronghorns but I recently purchased a pair of Under Armours Speed Freaks and I love them. Fit to the foot very well, lightweight, and they have a really good sole.

quicknick
07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I have a pair of pronghorns and a pair of Under Armor Valsetz I just picked up. There is really no comparison on weight the Valsetz are far and away much lighter, but they aren't water proof and probably wont last as long.

Texans42
07-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Columiba peak freak... Outdry water proof/ breathable and 17 oz a shoe...

JMSZ
09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I just found out that Belleville now makes hiker-type boots, 6" high, waterproof, etc. I just bought a pair, I'll let you know how they work it.

I've got wide feet (4E in New Balance) and I've had good luck with Belleville. The only other hikers I've been able to find that fit are Merrells, which are great, they're extremely comfortable, but the eyelets are cloth and the last two pairs had eyelets rip out at about the 9-month point.

JMSZ
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I just found out that Belleville now makes hiker-type boots, 6" high, waterproof, etc. I just bought a pair, I'll let you know how they work it.

I've got wide feet (4E in New Balance) and I've had good luck with Belleville. The only other hikers I've been able to find that fit are Merrells, which are great, they're extremely comfortable, but the eyelets are cloth and the last two pairs had eyelets rip out at about the 9-month point.

I'm resurrecting this to report on the Belleville boots, they're the Tactical Research 555.

I like them, but they have some serious design flaws and poor QC, so from a practical standpoint I have to say the ones that I got are junk.

I got the first pair, laced them up and a speedlace eyelet popped out. The rivets for the eyelets weren't fully spread and one slipped out.

Got a second pair, the eyelets held, but all of the rivets were questionable as to whether they would hold, so I used a center punch on all of them.

Longer term, the upper eyelet design puts all of the stress on a small spot on the leather, so they will rip through at some point. I now wear them around the yard, etc, but I really don't expect them to make it to hunting season next year, especially if they get wet a few more times, but we'll see.

The eyelets Belleville normally uses crimps onto the leather itself, eliminating the stress point issue.

In addition, they are advertised as being waterproof, but they aren't.

The basic design of the boots is actually really good, after a short break-in they are really comfortable, I like wearing the, and they have a good tread design.

If Belleville fixes the eyelets and the waterproofing, they'd be great boots.

As I'm sure many of the military guys here relate to, I've had multiple pairs of Belleville boots, most of which have had the soles worn flat while the rest of the boot still has some life left in it. So, this isn't typical of the manufacturer, it's just cutting corners and poor QC on this particular design.

H3Dad
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I have the pronghorns the jackel and UA boots. They are all great boots for the price, however the pronghorns are a little heavy and offer the best support with a stiffer sole. They are definitely a boot. The jackel is much lighter with fair support but you can still cover the miles with these boots, it was hard for me to trash these boots even after wearing the soles out. UA I have only had one year yet they fit like a glove and are very light. They are more like a shoe rather than a boot. I think I could jog in these boots. I do like them however packing heavier loads they don't feel as solid and supportive as the Danner boots but definitely a great 3-4 day boot as long as the country isn't to rough.

dihardhunter
02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Salomon 4D GTX Cosmics - wore them 14 straight days between 9 and 12.5K feet last year and they performed flawlessly. Less than 3 pounds for the pair. I think it was 45 ounces, but I'd have to check my records to be sure.

JMSZ
02-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Salomon 4D GTX Cosmics - wore them 14 straight days between 9 and 12.5K feet last year and they performed flawlessly. Less than 3 pounds for the pair. I think it was 45 ounces, but I'd have to check my records to be sure.

I got a pair of those boots, they are awesome, except for one thing...I need a wide and they don't come in wides. The regulars almost fit, but were too narrow through my arch.

The boots look and feel bullet proof, curious to see how they'll hold up long-term.

dihardhunter
02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
So far I've been extremely impressed. Got a killer deal on some neon green ones which almost hurt my eyes. Stepped in a few elk wallows and tromped through a few creeks and they are stained up nice now. Not so blinding. Logic says they should outperform most "hunting" boots since the backpacking industry has been on the ball far longer than the hunting industry. The hunting industry gets most of their "cutting edge" improvements second hand from that industry...somebody else's old news in other words.

T43
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Stay away from the Mendle light hunters mentioned. I picked up a pair of these. They were poorly built in Viet Nam and just had the Mendle name. I would never pay that much for a boot of that quality. I ended up returning them and picked up some Zamberlan Dakotas a little heavier but 3 times better boot.

Murdy
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
+1 on the Zamberlan Dakotas. Picked up a pair recently -- super comfortable and seem really well built.

Iowahunter
03-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Guys with the Lowa Tibets...what seasons did you hunt with them? We're planning a muzzleloader hunt this Sept and as bad as my feet sweat, these looked warm. I'm looking at Salewa Alp Trainer Mids. Anyone have any experience with these?

mnhunter
03-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Another vote for the Salomon's I have the Quest 4d GTX's, a step down from the cosmics. They are awesome! I have had great luck with them.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/quest-4d-gtx.html

Westmeetseast
03-20-2013, 02:30 PM
New to the sight

I agree with everyone saying the salomons - great boots, super light and durable, i sometimes also pack in my salomon trail runners and hunt from camp in those if its warm.

I also wear Asolo Fugitives GTX - there much stiffer, but great if you packing in heavey loads, or your hunting an area with a ton of rocks, there super tough! True backpacking boots.

As far as some of the other boots like Danners and UA i guess it depends on your hunting styles, for me those boots will never last. Last pair of danners i had i destroyed on top of a mountian in wyoming in 2 days, thank good for my salomon trailrunners at that point.

Catahoula12
04-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Look at KEEN Siskiyou mid... waterproof no insulation.. lightweight and very comfortable.. I have two pair. They come in a black olive/ camo print...

Multi-SpeciesHunter
06-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I love UA gear, but not their footwear. All my football spikes and various other types of footwear seem to work great but open up at the seems not too long into using them. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Looking at the Pronghorn GTX personally

JMSZ
07-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Anybody had or have Vasque boots? I got to try some wide Wasatch GTXs on this weekend and they actually fit.

They look pretty stout, but curious if anybody has any experience with them.

IDELKFVR
01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
I have hunted with the Danner pronghorn last couple years and haven't had any issues.

Colorado Cowboy
01-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I've worn Vasque and liked them, a little heavy but a good boot. I have worn Danner Pronghorns for several years and they are a great boot for the money.

wolftalonID
01-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Ok guys. I have the older pronghorns before they "redesigned" them a few years back. I bought an extra pair when I saw they changed them, but now I am needing a new pair.

Who here remembers the old design, used that boot, and has also worn the new design? Are the new designed boots as well made and still worth the money?

ljmelea
01-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I have spent a whole season in Crispi Idaho's.I've had meindels since 95,two pair.The crispi is the best boot i've ever owned,flat out top notch.

shootbrownelk
01-13-2014, 04:23 PM
I just bought a lightweight pair of boots by Wolverine. I like them so far, they have an aggressive tread and about 1 1/2 lbs. ea. I had a pair of Rockys, but wore them out in a couple of years.

cutback
02-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Ok guys. I have the older pronghorns before they "redesigned" them a few years back. I bought an extra pair when I saw they changed them, but now I am needing a new pair.

Who here remembers the old design, used that boot, and has also worn the new design? Are the new designed boots as well made and still worth the money?
I wore out 4 pairs of the older pronghorns. Loved them..... (Still have one pair.) My new "redesigned" style are good but, I preferred the other style. The new style is just a little wider in the last. (good if you have a wider foot) They are also a little longer. I find them a little clumsier and I'm less agile, boulder bounding...... The sole is more aggressive than the previous model and clogs up a little more with mud and such. Again, I still continue to use the new pronghorns but, with my high arches and narrow feet, I preferred the older style. Your milage may vary......

D.Turvey, Jr
02-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Have you seen the new Bridger Ridge from Kenetrek? Those looks like they'd be right at home in the early season on just about any mountain.

Never in Doubt
02-21-2014, 03:31 PM
I used Danner Jackal II last year, they were on sale for $120. Some people had problems with the boot leaking but mine never did. I plan on using them again this next year. It is a very lightweight boot, IMO.(but my boot experience is limited)

OregonJim
02-23-2014, 08:21 PM
I love Danners.
I make it in to the factory store every chance I get.
I tried the Pathfinder GTX last year. (they look pretty comparable)

For me they just didn't cut it. They are pretty much a waterproof high top sneaker.
It is lightweight, and it didn't leak, but it just wouldn't stay laced no matter what I tried.
I recently purchased another pair of Pronghorns. They are heavier but they last several seasons and are extremely comfortable.

I still take the lightweight Pathfinders if my feet are aching and I'm on a short afternoon hunt in Elk Camp.

JWM
02-24-2014, 09:57 AM
I love Zamberlans lightweight backpacking boots. They can be pricey but I've never had a problem with my feet being sore or uncomfortable. They provide a ton of support and feel great on long trips.

NE69
02-24-2014, 07:12 PM
I do things a little different and most wouldn't agree with me. I used to work out year round 6 days a week, lift in the morning and run at night to get ready for elk season. I would buy the best pair of running shoes I could find a couple months before hunting season and wear them training and while hunting. I always take a couple pair of boots (meindl) if I end up packing heavy loads. I still prefer to hunt in light weight running shoes or hiking shoes. I love my meindls and haven't ever had a blister but they are heavy. I always feel better at the end of the day with less weight on my feet. I like to think I can go farther with less effort. I started out this year in WY in the meindls but was having slippage issues on the slopes in the Bighorns due to the snow and rain. After a gashed shin on a rock I switched to some merrell low hiking boots with vibram soles and got along great. I did wear gaiters to stay dryer. Being 55 years old I didn't think the ankles would still handle the low shoes but I was fine. I actually wore them packing meat out this year with no problems. My brother in law used to do the same years ago when we hunted Colorado at high altitude. They work for me but might not for you.

RokToy17
06-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Another vote for the Salomon's I have the Quest 4d GTX's, a step down from the cosmics. They are awesome! I have had great luck with them.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/quest-4d-gtx.html

I have used Danners for the better part of 15 years (USMC), and have been generally pleased.

I am extremely interested in the Salomon Quest 4D GTX though. My main concern is in the fit. I typically like "wide" boots, but Salomon does not offer this in "wide". Anyone have a fit assessment for widths?

Murdy
06-11-2014, 04:19 PM
I picked up a pair of Hanwag Banks boots and wore them a bit during this last spring turkey season. Kind of a cross between a hiking boot and a true hunting boot (a lot more substantial than something like a Merrel Moab or Keen Targhee, but still on the light side). Very comfortable. Sierra was clearancing them and a few similar models. Watch the sizing (they are sized in UK sizes, but I only went down a half size and they're perfect -- standard advise is to go down a full size for UK, I believe).

newguy220
06-11-2014, 05:27 PM
I've had good luck with Danner Pronghorn for about a year. I don't know if its my feet or the rocky country I hunt, but after a year of hunting the boots kill my feet when wearing them so I've been looking into the Danner Ridgemaster, it is suppose to be like the Pronghorn, but made in Portland. Anyone try these yet?

I bought a pair of the Cabelas Meindls and wore them for two years and either they never broke in or they just didn't get along with my feet because after a few hours my feet were aching horribly. The only reason I stuck with them so long is because they had good ankle support and it never felt like I was going to twist an ankle.

newguy220

grizzly
06-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I just got some Kenetrek Bridger Ridge. My feet are wider than most and a lot of shoes pinch, but these seem to fit great. Looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

MountainHigh
07-21-2014, 11:41 AM
RokToy17- I just joined the forum and have been reading though threads of interest. I own the Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. I have a fairly narrow foot and they fit great. I am not sure how they would work on a wider foot. My experience with the boot is they are the best backpacking boot I have ever owned. Last elk season put over 80 miles on them and still use them everyday for work for over a year now. Super comfortable and and a great backpacking boot platform.

coloradoshedhead
07-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Under Armor Brow Tines, for archery season. I have taken them to check my trail cams a few times and they have been great so far. Light and still 8" tall. Lots of tread and so far plenty of cushion.

In God We Trust
07-27-2014, 12:37 PM
I have to second the Danner Pronghorn. I have been using them for years and they are a great boot for the price. You can get a better boot if you want to spend 250+ but the Pronghorns are hard to beat. I do use My Meindl Denalis on multiple day trips because of the support they offer under heavy loads but they are by no means light. I have heard good things about the UA Speed Freaks also.

BOHNTR
07-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm really liking these Keen Ketchum hiking boots! Made in the USA too.