PDA

View Full Version : Savage 7mm Rem Mag Project

Bitterroot Bulls
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Here is a before and after on the 7mm Rem Mag 110 I am working on. Only thing left is bedding and load development.

Before:

After:

I like the looks of this gun. I hope to break it in on a spring Black Bear.

Drhorsepower
02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
That is a beautiful weapon! How did you paint the stock? It came out great!

Bitterroot Bulls
02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
That is a beautiful weapon! How did you paint the stock? It came out great!

It was painted by Bell and Carlson. Green w/ Black Spiderweb. I hate plastic stocks. I might make a doorstop or something out of the take-off Savage stock.

Ikeepitcold
02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Very nice. Great job

bigshot
02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Good looking rifle, let us how it groups.

6mm Remington
02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
BB that looks very nice! What bullet are you thinking of using in it or trying? The 160 gr. Accbond should be a good one with a high BC, but then I'm kind of a Nosler snob and really like them.:o My dad had good luck with his 7mm and he's only used one bullet in it since he got the thing and that's a 160 gr. Partition. He uses 4831 and CCI250 primers. Chronographed it for him once many moons ago and it's going 3070 fps form a Winchester Model 70 push feed from about 1973. It does shoot well.

Good luck with load work. The Savage' rifles seem to shoot!
David

Bitterroot Bulls
02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
David,

I will be trying the 160 accubond first. My other preferred bullets will be the 168 Barnes LRX and 168 Berger VLD hunting. When I get it dialed in, I will have to grab my hunting partner and we will meet you at the range.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Gear List:

Savage 110 7mm Remington Magnum 24" barrel.

Bell and Carlson Medalist stock.

EGW Picatinny Rail.

TPS HRT rings 1" low.

Flatline Ops Ranger 1" level.

Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 w/ BRH reticle.

ElkTrout
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Beautiful rifle! Excited to hear how it shoots. Let me know how the 168 berger shoots for you. I had a horrible time getting that round to group for me. Ended up going to a swift sirroco! Congrats on the gun!

hvfd21walker
02-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Great looking gun BB. Im shooting 180 grain accubonds out of my 30-338 at 3040fps and love them. Did a heck of a job on my bull last year. But im a Nosler snob to.

jay
02-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Gear List:

Savage 110 7mm Remington Magnum 24" barrel.

Bell and Carlson Medalist stock.

EGW Picatinny Rail.

TPS HRT rings 1" low.

Flatline Ops Ranger 1" level.

Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 w/ BRH reticle.

Great combo! What was the damage on the scope and stock? Looks great!

Kevin Root
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Looks good Bitterroot Bulls. Out of curiosity I goggle searched , "Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 BRH reticle" and up popped first on the list was your other review out there on the gun range :). Very nice weapon.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Great combo! What was the damage on the scope and stock? Looks great!

The stock was something like $240 shipped from Stocky's Stocks. I got the scope from SWFA for around $800 during Swarovski's riflescope promotion last year. Now they are going for around $1000.

Jon Boy
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Are you using the stock barrel still? nice looking rifle

jay
02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
So what is the difference between stocks? Is it the way they are bedded or do you prefer the fiberglass over plastic?

Bitterroot Bulls
02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Are you using the stock barrel still? nice looking rifle

Stock barrel. My experience with button rifled Savage barrels are that they shoot, and shoot tight. If this one doesn't shoot, another nice thing about Savages are that I can easily swap the barrel.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
So what is the difference between stocks? Is it the way they are bedded or do you prefer the fiberglass over plastic?

I much prefer fiberglass. It is stiffer for one thing. With a lot of plastic stocks, the stock will flex and contact the barrel when shooting off a bipod. Trying to bed a plastic stock is an exercise in futility. A good fiberglass stock is superior in every way except cost and sometimes, weight.

Drhorsepower
02-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I much prefer fiberglass. It is stiffer for one thing. With a lot of plastic stocks, the stock will flex and contact the barrel when shooting off a bipod. Trying to bed a plastic stock is an exercise in futility. A good fiberglass stock is superior in every way except cost and sometimes, weight.

+1. Along with a bedding block, also temp changes doesn't effect a good stock and a plastic one. With a bedding block in a good stock, your screws will stay tight because aluminum and your steel reciever expand at a closer rate, with a plastic stock, your plastic gets hot which makes it vulnerable to flexing, and having your screws that your torqued to let's say 30 inch pounds to lets say 23 inch pounds.

jenbickel
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Very nicely done!! It looks great! I have actually been thinking about getting a 7mm rem mag..

Kevin Root
02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Very nicely done!! It looks great! I have actually been thinking about getting a 7mm rem mag..

I was thinking the same thing jenbickel after reading the threads and all. Looks like you could start taking some orders Bitterroot Bulls. :)

sjsmallfield
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Sweet setup BB! All you did was make me want to buy a new rifle.

Muleys 24/7
02-16-2012, 02:35 PM
looks really good! I've been thinking of getting the EGW rail for my weatherby but I have no exp. in gun smithing?

Bitterroot Bulls
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
looks really good! I've been thinking of getting the EGW rail for my weatherby but I have no exp. in gun smithing?

I have EGW rails on two rifles and they are both true. I do prefer the fit and finish of my TPS steel rail, however. You can see how I mounted mine on the Proper Procedure for Mounting a Base thread.

Muleys 24/7
02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I have EGW rails on two rifles and they are both true. I do prefer the fit and finish of my TPS steel rail, however. You can see how I mounted mine on the Proper Procedure for Mounting a Base thread. I've seen your base mounting video (it's a great diy clip) I just need to get the stuff to get it done. Are you ever going to make a video for bedding the action? I'm intrested in seeing that as well.

Jon Boy
02-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Stock barrel. My experience with button rifled Savage barrels are that they shoot, and shoot tight. If this one doesn't shoot, another nice thing about Savages are that I can easily swap the barrel.

Ive had the same experiences thats why I was asking. Im thinking about getting a different barrel from mine, looks like you can order a new one with the equipment needed for around $300.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
I've seen your base mounting video (it's a great diy clip) I just need to get the stuff to get it done. Are you ever going to make a video for bedding the action? I'm intrested in seeing that as well.

Here is the best bedding series of videos for Remington 700s I have found. This guy knows his stuff, here is part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPQF-64-sA&feature=channel

I am thinking about doing a video on this Savage, though, as they are different than 700s (you don't bed the tang). It is just a lot of work to make the videos.

Muleys 24/7
02-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Here is the best bedding series of videos for Remington 700s I have found. This guy knows his stuff, here is part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPQF-64-sA&feature=channel

I am thinking about doing a video on this Savage, though, as they are different than 700s (you don't bed the tang). It is just a lot of work to make the videos. I just watched all 4 parts....I can see what you mean about alot of work makeing those videos. thanks

Bitterroot Bulls
02-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Sorry, no video, but here are the results:

I was pretty happy when I got the perfect mirror image of the proof marks on the receiver:

Ready for ammo ...

Drhorsepower
02-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Came out good bb. I remember my first bedding job! It was functional but not pretty! What's your fpreferred compound?

Bitterroot Bulls
02-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Came out good bb. I remember my first bedding job! It was functional but not pretty! What's your fpreferred compound?

Well this isn't my first job, but it was my first on a Savage. They are quirky with the barrel nut, recoil lug tab and voids, etc. I only use Devcon Steel Epoxy Putty (10110). It is the bees knees. JB Weld steel and Marine Tex work too, but I think Devcon is the best. Acraglas acra-sucks, IMO.

Drhorsepower
02-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Well this isn't my first job, but it was my first on a Savage. They are quirky with the barrel nut, recoil lug tab and voids, etc. I only use Devcon Steel Epoxy Putty (10110). It is the bees knees. JB Weld steel and Marine Tex work too, but I think Devcon is the best. Acraglas acra-sucks, IMO.

I will have to try that devcon. I have used 3-4 different compounds now and I have found acraglass to be the best so far so interesting you don't like it. That must devcon must be the cats meow. P.s. after reading my post, I think it sounded like I insinuated this is your first bedding job, I did not mean it that way! Looking at your post made think back is all. Sorry about that.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-18-2012, 08:12 AM
DrH,

Have you used any steel epoxy compounds like those I listed? What filler do you use with Acraglas? I have never seen Acraglas set up like iron. It always seems to have some flex after curing. Devcon is much closer to steel. It can be drilled, tapped, and milled. It is good stuff. The putty version also goes in at just the right consistency, like warm peanut butter, so it isn't dripping everywhere, and it is easier to get the voids out. The squeeze-out is easier to remove, as well. Try it, you can find it by googling Devcon 10110, that is the stock number for the putty version. They also make a liquid version, but I don't like it.

Drhorsepower
02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I use brownells floc. I agree it could be a little harder, I have set this topic to my favorites list so next time I can remember to buy some devcon because I am going to give that stuff a whirl. Thanks.

ChadH
02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Bitterroot Bulls, I want to get a replacement stock for my son's Savage .243 Youth. I got it for him when he was 9, now he is 14 and almost 6', the stock is a little short for him. Anyway, thanks for the plug for Stocky's Stocks. I assume you recommend the medalist for that gun as well? I don't think anything but the stock was different on the "Youth" model. It was one of, if not THE first year they had the Accu Trigger on the "Youth Combo".

beav906
02-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Sweet rifle. Bet it will shoot as good as it looks!

Bitterroot Bulls
02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Bitterroot Bulls, I want to get a replacement stock for my son's Savage .243 Youth. I got it for him when he was 9, now he is 14 and almost 6', the stock is a little short for him. Anyway, thanks for the plug for Stocky's Stocks. I assume you recommend the medalist for that gun as well? I don't think anything but the stock was different on the "Youth" model. It was one of, if not THE first year they had the Accu Trigger on the "Youth Combo".

Is it a short action? It probably is, but I know some Savages had short action cartridges chambered in the long action. It also has to be a stagger feed magazine, and not centerfeed. You can tell by removing the action from the stock. If the magazine is attached to the action, it is a staggerfeed. If the magazine is attached to the stock, centerfeed.

If it is a short action staggerfeed, you can get a Bell and Carlson Medialist, and it should bolt up. The accutrigger may require some minor fitting by sanding a little stock material at the back of the trigger.

ChadH
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks BB. I will check it out. I have also been thinking about usig the action and building him a new rifle, kind of a project together. We'll see.

brooks
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Nice looking rig !! you did a fine job on it!