PDA

View Full Version : 21 colorado resident elk pref. points

BKC
02-15-2012, 07:11 PM
I need other hunters opinions. I know where I am hunting but maybe someone out there knows something I don't. This is my big year. Any public tag in this state is mine for the taking! What are your thoughts?

Colorado Cowboy
02-15-2012, 08:05 PM
If I had that many points I'd apply for 2 or 10. Both took 16 for residents and 21/22 for NRs. If you are a Colorado Res, my only question is why did you wait so long. You could have goteither of these several years ago. Easy terrain, lots of bulls and plenty of public land.

BKC
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I scouted those units and I liked another better and thought I was going to rifle hunt it till I saw what shape the bulls were in at that time. I scouted it during the rifle season when I had 19 points thinking that 20 should get me drawn. I decided to check out earlier seasons to see what shape they were in. They looked much better so I waited 1 more year. When you have waited 19 or 20 years what is just 1 or 2 more.

BKC
02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
umpquahunter, clear some of your stored messages so I can respond to your pm

Umpqua Hunter
03-02-2012, 12:18 AM
BKC....It's clear...send me a PM

BKC
09-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I dug up this old thread because it was the first post I made here on the forum. I finally drew and hunted unit 201 Colorado muzzleloader bull elk. This was the results of my hunt.652965306531 I am glad my son was there to share my hunt with me. His motivation and young eyes behind quality glass made it much easier on me. This bull will probably score in the mid 340's. I shot him on the 8th day of a 9 day hunt. I had turned bulls of this size down on the 2nd and 3rd days.

We found a bull 360+, watched him bed, sat for about 3 hours and waited for him to get up, which he did, and promptly got a bullet in him. He tumbled backwards, feet in the air kicked and thrashed for about a minute, got on his feet ran about 10 steps, layed down for about 5 secs., rolled back upright and ran straight away never to be seen again. We tracked for the rest of the day and more the next day but not an ounce of blood was ever seen. I have no clue what happened.

The next day we found a bull that we thought would go closer to 380 and saw where he was at last light. Went back to camp and ate a good meal and got a great night sleep only to bump him on the edge a road getting to him in the dark the next morning. We saw where he went and I had him at 354 yards but could never get closer. He was a legit 380 !

The next day was the 8th day so we went to where we thought elk would be. We got into them right away but screwed it up for a couple of reason but heard one last bugle in the trees and managed to find him and kill him at about 80 yards.

I am relieved that I now have my best bull and I won't have to stress over burning 21 points on a hunt. I feel I have a big weight lifted off my chest. I am looking forward to hunting bulls every two years with the muzzleloader but I can tell you that unit 201 Colorado is worth the wait and you won't be disapointed if you take all the days and don't shoot the first thing you see.

Fink
09-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Wow, I can't imagine waiting 21 years to hunt a unit! Great story, bummer about the bull that you shot that got away, that's a strange deal.

Congrats on a great hunt!

sjsmallfield
09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Congrats on a great bull BKC. Glad you got to put all your points to good use.

Musket Man
09-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Great bull and story! I would guess the bull you hit that got away was hit in the horn.

wapiti66
09-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Nice work BKC, that's a great bull.

Muleys 24/7
09-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice bull, congrats!

Umpqua Hunter
09-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Nice job BKC! I'm on the verge of a non-resident tag with 22 points and have been considering burning the points on 61 muzzleloader. I have not heard a lot of great reports on 201 in the last few year so its good to hear you got into some great bulls.

BKC
09-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice job BKC! I'm on the verge of a non-resident tag with 22 points and have been considering burning the points on 61 muzzleloader. I have not heard a lot of great reports on 201 in the last few year so its good to hear you got into some great bulls.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. UH for what it is worth, I met a guy from Montrose, while I was hunting in 201, who grew up there and has hunted unit 61 alot. He was in 201 helping a freind with a bow tag. He hunted 201 in 2007+/- for elk and killed a good bull. He says 61 is not as good as everyone thinks and if he had the points he would concentrate on the n/w corner units. I know you probably screwed up turning in your tag a few years ago and you might be behind the curve ball but maybe a couple more years before you give up on that corner would be better.

BKC
01-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Met up with an outfitter at the sportsmen show in Denver. We started talking about different bulls we had seen and what days and where they were. As it turns out he got pictures of this bull.76127613
This is the bull with the busted main beam, that my son and I sat 100 yards away from waiting for another bull to get up,that was in the story that I wrote for the contest. I thought this bull was a 380 if he had matching sides. After seeing these pictures, he might be in the high 360's or low 370's. He has smaller fronts, at least compared to his backs. What does everyone think? What I notice about the picture is that he looks like a young bull. Next year he will be an absolute PIG !!!!

Musket Man
01-22-2014, 09:09 PM
I agree he doesnt look real old and give him time and not busted up and he would will be a monster!

MuleyHunter
01-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Congrats on a great bull !

PointsHunter
01-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Great to hear the years of building points paid off. Terrific story.

30Hart
01-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Congrats great bull, nice to see when the long wait pays off...that's not always the case.