PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a GPS

ElkTrout
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Hey everyone! I have hunted the same areas for many years and know the terrain well. But now I am starting to hunt new areas which means I am in the market for a GPS! I am looking to spend $300-$400 and wanted your thoughts on a good unit. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

hvfd21walker
02-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Gamin Rhino 530hcx. Great Gps and radio. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. Great battery life.

Kevin Root
02-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I have a Garmin Oregon. It has worked well for me. As with most electronics the technology gets a bit better or advances each year. Having a map and compass for backup is good to have just in case it fails though.

dustyboots
02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I have the garmin GPSmaps 62st and love it everything you could ask for in a gps with nothing you don't need

Muleys 24/7
02-15-2012, 11:39 PM
I and a few buddys have the rhino 530hcx, I have to say it has it's pro's and con's.

I'll start with the con's- I have had to make an exchange for a new one three times do to the speaker on the radio going out over the 4 years I've had it, one of my buddy's also had the same problem.This happened again but this time I couldn't return it because it's now discontinued,but you can still find them online. However I found away around the speaker problem by going to the push-to-talk ear peice.The topo map mini sd cards you buy pre-loaded are expensive, and graphics are ok.

The pro's- you have a radio and gps in one unit, you can poll your buddy's location and see where each other are at (great for working the area) that is one of the option's that sets this gps apart from all the others,IMO.It has the national weather channel on the radio.Batt. life is ok as well. All the other options are about the same as other gps's, like way points, electronic compass, tracking your trail, alarm clock, moon phases games, etc. etc.

Over all it's great to use for hunting with buddy's that have the same unit.IMO

ElkTrout
02-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the info! This all helps and I will take it into consideration when I finally make a decision!

Big Sky
02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I have the garmin GPSmaps 62st and love it everything you could ask for in a gps with nothing you don't need
One more vote for the 62s! I saved a $100 bucks and bought it without the maps so that way I could get the Hunting Gps Maps also. http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

BobT
02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
I have the Rhino, never had any problems with it. Last year I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx as a dedicated unit for the hunting gps maps. I also use the Etrex when I'm hunting alone or don't need the radio feature. I would recommend either unit without reservation.

Bob

MOHunter
02-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm a Garmin loyal. I had an older eTrex and have since upgraded to an Oregon 450t. This past fall I lost it in the woods for a week. It rained on it hard for 3 days. I was extremely lucky to find it, wiped it off, turned it on and it was like it never left my pocket!

I have the huntinggpsmaps program, which is great for hunting smaller parcels of public property.

Also, I really like the Birdseye satellite imagery from Garmin. It allows me to see an image like google earth, which is a huge benefit when scouting. There was a recent post on here about using Apple products like an iPhone and downloading apps for the same functionality. However, I like being able to use AA batteries and I'm sure the Garmin is more rugged.

You want an electronic compass, memory card expandability, and the ability to add satellite images.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-17-2012, 10:24 PM
MOHunter, I think I am going to go the Oregon 450 route this year. How is the touch-screen? Does the T version just come with a preloaded topo? If so, I think I will save the money and get the non-T, since I will be getting Huntingtopo anyway.

Kevin Root
02-17-2012, 11:23 PM
The touch screen on my Garmin Oregon works well. Kind of similar to my iPhone only more of a matte screen finish that can be difficult to see though with screen glare on my older eyes. The 3D feature is cool although I don't use it all that much. GPS units have come a long way over the years. Lots of great options on the Garmin Oregon.

I give a thumbs up un the huntinggpsmaps.com as well. The micro sd card is an easy install. Seeing private and public land boarders is very helpful. A couple of my friends have had issues with the download installing over the internet. I don't have the computer planning feature which I want to dive into for planning though. As Big Sky mentions, information on it is at, http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ There are video tutorials and a quick overview on their product there.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks Kevin,

That was what I was looking for. I guess if the Apple guy says it is like an iPhone, it is good enough for me...

MOHunter
02-18-2012, 05:41 AM
MOHunter, I think I am going to go the Oregon 450 route this year. How is the touch-screen? Does the T version just come with a preloaded topo? If so, I think I will save the money and get the non-T, since I will be getting Huntingtopo anyway.

It took me a little time to get used to the screen. It's not quite as responsive as my iPhone. I don't scroll that much, but instead use the command buttons on the screen. What I love most is that you can use it with gloves on. As long as there's a little pressure on it then it responds. The drawback to this is that you need a case where the screen won't get touched or else it won't go into sleep mode. Batteries don't last too long when this happens.

The only reason I got the 450t was because it was on sale and actually cheaper than the 450. For me it's nice to have the roads for areas I don't hunt. I hunt several states but don't have huntinggpsmaps for all of them. Also, since the topo is loaded to the hard drive it saves memory card space for me to load other maps/satellite images. One thing to think about is that the different models accept different sizes of memory cards. Garmin told me everything from a 4g to a 32g. I have an 8g in there now with no problems.

Also, if you are a Mac user you'll need to do a little work to get huntinggpsmaps loaded. There's a download, I can't remember the name, before you install the maps. I think instructions were on the site. The map company was pleasantly surprised to hear that I had downloaded them successfully to a Mac. I think many older hunters just aren't computer savvy enough for all of the steps. I'm no pro, but it did take some effort.

I know Cabela's runs sales on them every so often. They put the 450t up for $250 before Christmas last year.

labman
02-18-2012, 03:24 PM
New etrex 30 it grabs GPS and Glonass sat which are russian so you get much quicker response with the capability of grabbing both sat systems.

BobcatJerry
03-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Garmin 530chx has been great for my buddy and me. The polling in of locations is an awesome feature. There are so many features and free maps for Garmin too. I'll post it in a separate thread, some things I have found.

Muleys 24/7
03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Garmin 530chx has been great for my buddy and me. The polling in of locations is an awesome feature. There are so many features and free maps for Garmin too. I'll post it in a separate thread, some things I have found.I would like to hear about the free maps and how to do it.

BobcatJerry
03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
I just posted it under Garmin Maps and Google Earth Layers in a new thread.

300Weatherby
03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey just to give you guys a heads up Cabelas has the Garmin Oregon 450 on sale right now for 240$. i just ordered me one!

Bitterroot Bulls
03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks!

Order In!

Dan
03-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Hey just to give you guys a heads up Cabelas has the Garmin Oregon 450 on sale right now for 240$. i just ordered me one!

Great price. I love my Oregon 550T with the huntin maps for Colorado and Wyoming.

EdD270
03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I really like my Garmin GPS72. I got it some years ago because I like the bigger and better marked buttons and bigger screen. My old eyes and fat fingers need extra room on electronic stuff.
Just some hard-won experience and advice. Wherever you go, always take a good topo map of the area you're in and a compass, and know how to use them. GPS are very nice, but don't count on them completely. Anything that will disrupt the signal for satellite TV will also disrupt the signal for a GPS receiver.

MOHunter
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
I think they've been steadily improving the satellite reception. I had a Magellan several years ago that lost signal pretty easily. My Garmin eTrex Vista was better, and now my Garmin Oregon 450 hardly ever loses a signal. I believe the new eTrex may even have a newer satellite fix.

EdD270 still makes a good point, though. There's always room for something to go wrong with electronics. You could simply run out of batteries!

brooks
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't know alot about gps units but the 2 I have owned are the Rhino 120 and the Oregon 450T and hands down the 450T is by far the better gps unit. They will both do the job, it's just the 450T does it easier.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
An update on this thread. I received the Oregon 450. I really like it. Very nice product.