PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MT Speedgoat.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-18-2012, 07:57 AM
He's not quite a monster, but I had some of my kids with me, so it was a great hunt anyway. My 7 year-old boy made the stalk with me (over one mile on our bellies - no I'm not exaggerating), and my 5 year old girl met up with us after the shot, so it made it that much better:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mcashell/002.jpg

bluedunn0
02-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Very nice work!!

Timberstalker
02-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Love to see the youngins involved! Good looking speed goat.

jenbickel
02-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Nice speed goat!! Even better looking family! :)

Ikeepitcold
02-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Very cool to have the kidos with you. Great buck too!

ElkTrout
02-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Nice goat BB! Awesome to see the kids out enjoying it with you!

packer58
02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Very cool BB, I took my son on my first Antelope hunt back in 1990, it was a great experience for both of us. Antelope hunt'n can truly be a family affair.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
The boy has been going with since he was 4, but this was his first "real" stalk, and he was into it! As you can see, he couldn't even take his eyes off the goat for the picture. He also found a muley shed while we were making the recovery. My wife saw I posted this pic, and she reminded me how she was concerned my daughter would be scared or grossed out. She was not, to say the least.

packer58
02-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Yep, your doing it right IMO, plant the seed early on and your not only raising a family........your grooming life long hunt'n partners.

Drhorsepower
02-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Good job bb. How long ago was this? I can't wait for my kids to get old enough to take em out and get them hooked on the disease of hunting. It looks like your kids are going to have the disease early?

Kevin Root
02-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Awesome picture and surely a wonderful memory for you all. Nice picture Bitterroot Bulls! Wow, a mile stalk with a seven year old. That sounds so cool.

I did a bellie stalk in Southeastern Montana around Alzada for one of your MT spedgoats a couple years back. Lots of soapweed yucca and plains prickly-pear out that way on the plains that make it quite interesting on those belly crawls :). There is some great and awesome country out there on the plains of Montana.

Jon Boy
02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Those first hunts with dad are ones that all of us never seem to forget. Congrats

Bitterroot Bulls
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Awesome picture and surely a wonderful memory for you all. Nice picture Bitterroot Bulls! Wow, a mile stalk with a seven year old. That sounds so cool.

I did a bellie stalk in Southeastern Montana around Alzada for one of your MT spedgoats a couple years back. Lots of soapweed yucca and plains prickly-pear out that way on the plains that make it quite interesting on those belly crawls :). There is some great and awesome country out there on the plains of Montana.

I showed my boy your post, Kevin. He was picking prickly pear needles out of his knees without so much as a whimper. I'm a proud dad.

I've gutted a few goats over by Alzada myself.

Joe Hulburt
02-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Nice picture! That reminds me of my first pronghorn hunt with my two oldest boys tagging along out across the desert. We didn't kill the biggest goat but the memories are great!

A 7 year old that can pull off a 1 mile belly crawl will certainly make a dent in the game populations down the road....:cool:

Kevin Root
02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I showed my boy your post, Kevin. He was picking prickly pear needles out of his knees without so much as a whimper. I'm a proud dad.

I've gutted a few goats over by Alzada myself.

Yep, those prickly pear needles are mighty sharp. Sounds like you all had your share of them too on your belly crawl.

Sounds like you have been out by Alzada a time or two as well. The Alzada area is a real awesome and beautiful area. It's almost like your in an old John Wayne movie with the Buttes and Great Plains.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t387/Kevin_Root/Posting%20Pictures/100_2524.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t387/Kevin_Root/Posting%20Pictures/100_2442-Version4.jpg

Bitterroot Bulls
02-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah Alzada is awesome. I have seen a few bomber mulies, and a truly giant whitetail as well. There are some really good spots if you are willing to walk...

outdoors4life
02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
I grew up in Alzada. My parents have a ranch there. I thought it was interesting how many of you have hunted there. Most people have never even heard of Alzada before.

Kevin Root
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I grew up in Alzada. My parents have a ranch there. I thought it was interesting how many of you have hunted there. Most people have never even heard of Alzada before.

Lots of ranches out in Alzada. It is awesome area outdoors4life. Like Bitterroot Bulls mentions some bomber mulies and giant whitetail as well. I've seen lots of them as well out there. There is a reason the ranchers have those heavy duty brush guards on their trucks. It's not to protect them from brush but from running the gauntlet to protect their trucks from hitting animals out that way a night and early morning :eek:. It's crazy running those roads at dark.

I have some friends from Iowa that know Thane Thomas. We were privileged to hunt their family ranch for years to take out some of the antelope population on their ranch. I have some wonderful memories hunting outside of Alzada. A few years back they sold all the hunting rights to an outfitter so I have not been back there in few years. I was spoiled hunting that ranch. It was like bird hunting with lots of action, only with big game animals.

The top picture I posted that looks over the plains is one of those smoke signal pits the indians used to use to send signals to each other, wagon train, army coming, etc..... Thane told us the boy scouts recreated this one in the picture but there was one there in history on that very spot.

outdoors4life
02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Kevin, yes the Thomas place is a great place. There are only a few ranches around now that are not locked up by the outfitters. The numbers have gone down probably since you have been there. My folks place got hit hard with blue tongue 7 or 8 years ago then have had nasty winters since then. Crazy how small of a world it is.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I knew ol' Rusty in Ekalaka... and he knew everybody else.

Kevin Root
02-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Kevin, yes the Thomas place is a great place. There are only a few ranches around now that are not locked up by the outfitters. The numbers have gone down probably since you have been there. My folks place got hit hard with blue tongue 7 or 8 years ago then have had nasty winters since then. Crazy how small of a world it is.

The Thomas place got hit with the blue tongue when we were there. I almost walked on top of this little guy before he staggered up and I took the picture. It's sad when they get that blue tongue. One of my friends talked to Thane's mom several months back. She said the winter took a toll last winter on the antelope and dropped the numbers down like you mention. The banner years are awesome. Hopefully they rebound ok.

It is crazy at times how small the world is. Seems like it's big with all the bizillions of people but now and then you find how small it can be.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t387/Kevin_Root/Posting%20Pictures/100_2556_2.jpg