PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming antelope; Zone 80 or other suggestions.

RICMIC
02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
After several years of successful deer and elk hunts in Wyoming and Colorado, I am looking at a 2012 antelope hunt in Wyoming. My hunting partner and I have 2 points each and were looking at Area 80. According to the MRS, this is a blue chip area and we should draw a tag for this unit if nothing changes. Although we are both retired, we are in good shape and aren't afraid to walk. Any comments or suggestions for a second choice. We plan to camp out and stay as long as it takes.

MWScott72
02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Call the biologist & game warden for the unit and get their take on 80. They are out of the Cody G&F office. They'll probably give you some good 2nd choice options too.

RICMIC
02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the input. I will follow your suggestion. Good Hunting.

Shooter
02-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Me, my Dad, and a buddy hunted 80 last year. I saw one good pronghorn in 6 days of hunting. He was a solid 16". But other than him we never saw anything that would go over 14". All of ours were under 14" and over 13". I wouldn't hunt this unit again. A lot of people told me it was full on 13 inchers but I thought for sure we could do better. I was wrong.

GMX
02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Shooter is right lots of 13" and some 14"

IdahoPredator
02-23-2012, 10:37 PM
I was thinking of trying for 80 also but now you guys have me wondering. Me and my son have 3.5 points this year and I sure would hate to waste them. However, just a thought but don't you guys think those 13 and 14 inch bucks from last year will be bigger this year? Not sure how much they typically grow in a year but I might be more worried if all you seen were 10-12 inchers.
What kind of hunting is it? Lots of walking or roads everywhere? Is it all public?

Thanks for your input.

RICMIC
03-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I did get ahold of the area game warden. He pretty much confirmed what I read on the forum. This is a dry desert area, and the trophy size potential is limited. So, IdahoPredator to answer your question....those 13"-14" bucks may already be at their peak. I may apply for the area anyway because we should still have a good number of goats without any combat hunting like some of the high number areas. We arern't focused on a trophy hunt... Carpe Diem.