PDA

View Full Version : Custom Rifle under $1500

Rackman1
02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
I ve shot factory rifles and factory ammo only. Any insight on a custom setup? Looking for a magnum caliber shooting less than an inch! Also would it be better to send my rifle to a gunsmith? Thanks for the help!

Jon Boy
02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Plenty of guns out there that shoot less than an inch that you can buy at a store. Tikka, savage and weatherby all come to mind. If you want more of a custom gun you can always buy a kimber. But if you really wanna go custom im sure you can get a smith to build you a mildly custom rifle for under 1500.

hvfd21walker
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Coffin Customs here in Montana builds awesome guns. He built me a 30-338 last year. If you already have an action you can deffinately do it for under $1500.

dcestnik
02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Buy the cheapest used savage 10/100 staggerfeed you can find with the bolt face and action length for your caliber. Buy a bolt on match barrel, trigger, stock, a few hand tools and save the extra money for ammo.

buckbull
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
You can get a weatherby vanguard s2 sub-moa for way under $1500, although its not "custom" they are damn fine shooters. I have two of the older vanguard sub-moa models, .30-06 and .338wm. Both bring the bacon home. Only complaint is they are a little heavier than some of my other rifles and if I have a long and/or steep hike I typically take my tikka t3.

Rackman1
02-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Plenty of guns out there that shoot less than an inch that you can buy at a store. Tikka, savage and weatherby all come to mind. If you want more of a custom gun you can always buy a kimber. But if you really wanna go custom im sure you can get a smith to build you a mildly custom rifle for under 1500.

I hunt with a tikka currently in 30-06 and a savage in a 243 win. Looking for a mildly custom rifle in a 300 win 300wsm 7 mm but most importantly try to achieve better accuracy than i currently have .

Elkoholic307
02-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Those are pretty low expectations. Just get another Savage or Tikka and save yourself a grand.

But, if you're set on spending it, there are a lot of semi-customs floating around for $1000-1500.

Ikeepitcold
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Get a savage. Easy to customize and extremely accurate out of the box. Save the money on the rifle and spend the extra money on the scope. I think most guns are moa out of the box and the scope makes all the difference in the world. Also depends on the range your wanting to shoot at. 100-200yards you shouldn't have any trouble with sub moa most guns out of the box. If you shooting 400-1000 that's a completely different story.

Rackman1
02-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Get a savage. Easy to customize and extremely accurate out of the box. Save the money on the rifle and spend the extra money on the scope. I think most guns are moa out of the box and the scope makes all the difference in the world. Also depends on the range your wanting to shoot at. 100-200yards you shouldn't have any trouble with sub moa most guns out of the box. If you shooting 400-1000 that's a completely different story.

With a lot of practice I would like to extend my long range shooting plus get into reloading! Figured custom loads custom rifle. What model savage do you recommend? Hunting Range Accuracy

Bitterroot Bulls
02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Rackman,

What kind of hunting are you doing, and for what?

Savage rifles shoot, just about every one. Tikkas are the same story. There is nothing wrong with a good custom, or semi-custom rifle either. Check out Cooper Rifles as well.

You can accurize your current rifle as well. Lots of options.

Ikeepitcold
02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I shoot factory loads 160 gr Accu Bond with my Savage model 16 7mm wsm. I have a Leupold VX111 4.5x14x50 scope, a muzzle break and sims recoil pad. It has factory stock and trigger. I can shoot 4" groups at 850 yards. You can get better groups if you want to load your own rounds. I reload for my 338 ultra mag that is full custom and can get 2" groups at 900 yards. IMO the cost of a full custom vs my Savage for about $1500 I would go with the Savage. A lot of cash for 2" difference.

Both guns are moa-sub moa at 500 yards and under

ColoradoV
02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Here is a great option for you.

http://redhawkrifles.com/products/rifles/customrifles

ColoradoV
02-21-2012, 08:40 PM

ChadH
02-21-2012, 09:06 PM
With a lot of practice I would like to extend my long range shooting plus get into reloading! Figured custom loads custom rifle. What model savage do you recommend? Hunting Range Accuracy

If you are wanting to get in to the Long Range game, Savage makes the Long Range Hunter in some old standby calibers as well as some more interesting ones (like 6.5 Creedmore). I have two Savage rifles currently and like Bitterroot Bulls and others have said here, they all flat shoot. My sons .243 is .5" with factory ammo, and shot that out of the box. Same deal with my .270 "Weather Warrior". It shoots so good my wife stole that one from me. At least she was kind enough to let me get a Kimber 8400 Classic to replace the one she took over! :)

Personally I agree that there are some great options out there for less than custom money, that would probably allow you to go with a better scope. The scope alone will increase your effectivness at ALL ranges, especially longer.

Besides Savage and Kimber you might also look at a weatherby Vanguard, either the sub MOA or the RC. Both are neat guns. I kind of like the new Winchester model 70 as well, but I haven't shot one. I just like the looks and feel.

packer58
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
All good advice..........put the money saved towards good optics and reloading gear. Your groups should and probably will shrink once you get a good load worked up for your particular rifle. And like Bitter Root Bulls said: You can always have the action of your stock rifle accurized, it does make a difference.

Rackman1
02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Rackman,

What kind of hunting are you doing, and for what?

Savage rifles shoot, just about every one. Tikkas are the same story. There is nothing wrong with a good custom, or semi-custom rifle either. Check out Cooper Rifles as well.

You can accurize your current rifle as well. Lots of options.

Bitter,

I hunt Whitetails every year Im planning on hunting Elk this year and other big game animals in the years to come Mule deer, Bear, and eventually Moose.

dead river
02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
I just looked at the Cooper rifles. did not see any short mags...... would have thought they were available.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-21-2012, 10:09 PM
It might not surprise anybody here, but I like the idea of putting a great sighting optic on a gun. If your gun and load shoots tight as is, upgrade some other components with that $1500.

Leupold makes fine, durable, reliable scopes. The new VX-6 line is especially interesting, and the CDS system is really nice out to reasonable ranges.

However, don't overlook other brands as well. Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica all make scopes that are more affordable than you might assume. These more affordable lines (Conquest, Z3) are also assembled right here in the good ol' USA. Other Euro scope makers have recently followed with their own USA assembled scopes (Minox, Meopta Meopros) and their performance is really good.

Vortex makes some of the toughest scopes out there. The Viper HS and PST lines are very good. They provide a lot of features for the price. I personally really like them. I used a Vortex Viper scope this year to harvest my Mulie.

SWFA has a line of tactical scopes (the SS line) with FFP reticles that are really something. think Nightforce reliability with better than Nightforce glass for cheaper than Nightforce money.

Don't be afraid to look past the golden ring when shopping for a new scope.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I just looked at the Cooper rifles. did not see any short mags...... would have thought they were available.

I believe they are working on it. In the meantime perhaps a 6.5x284 could fit the bill?

Bitterroot Bulls
02-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Bitter,

I hunt Whitetails every year Im planning on hunting Elk this year and other big game animals in the years to come Mule deer, Bear, and eventually Moose.

Your 06 will certainly do the trick on those species, if it is a shooter. I do like the idea of a fast 30 cal or 7mm though. They are hard to beat.

Sorry about the optics tangent ... I think it has gone past obsession for me. :(

Drhorsepower
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
No one mentions Remington? I have to throw that name in the hat. You can build a rifle on a rem action for around 1500$ keep in mind most competition rifles are built around or designs based off of the rem 700. I guess the savage accuwedge on a rem 700 equals magic.

Like packer, ikic, bb said. Optics is a must and to remphasize what packed 58 said, you can turn an average shooting rifle into an accurate one by investing in reloading. That is what is going to make your rifle shoot well. Investing time and more time into load development. One of these days I need to take a picture of my reloading bench.

Shaun
02-22-2012, 07:10 AM
+1 on the optics check out sightron also killer glass and amazing warranty if your mind is set on a custom rifle check out heart custom rifles I have an action I am sendin to them to build me a 7mm short mag

Elkoholic307
02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
No one mentions Remington? I have to throw that name in the hat.

Maybe if you can find an older one or a Sendero. Their new stuff is pretty 'meh' anymore.

Savage is blowing away the competition right now.

buckbull
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe if you can find an older one or a Sendero. Their new stuff is pretty 'meh' anymore.

Savage is blowing away the competition right now.

I have the same sentiment concerning Remington. Their customer service is a total joke.

Jon Boy
02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
You can always buy an older savage and build it your self pretty easily. Buy a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench and thats all you really need. Swap the barrel with a premium one of your choice, swap the stock with one of your choice, bed the action and free float, no reason why it shouldnt shoot under MOA, especially if you plan on handloading. If thats not good enough send it off to sharpshooter supply and have the action trued and timed or any other gunsmith. That would keep you under $1500 and ull have the satisfaction of building your own rifle. Once I get some money thats what I plan on doing.

buckbull
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
I know you have to take rifle reviews with a grain of salt from gun editors but here is nice writeup from David Petzel over at field and stream on the new weatherby vanguard.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/02/rifle-review-weatherby-vanguard-series-2

Rackman1
02-22-2012, 05:33 PM
No one mentions Remington? I have to throw that name in the hat. You can build a rifle on a rem action for around 1500$ keep in mind most competition rifles are built around or designs based off of the rem 700. I guess the savage accuwedge on a rem 700 equals magic.

Like packer, ikic, bb said. Optics is a must and to remphasize what packed 58 said, you can turn an average shooting rifle into an accurate one by investing in reloading. That is what is going to make your rifle shoot well. Investing time and more time into load development. One of these days I need to take a picture of my reloading bench.

What press should i start with turret or single stage? budget job here lol kit or piece a set together?

ChadH
02-22-2012, 05:45 PM
What press should i start with turret or single stage? budget job here lol kit or piece a set together?

I really like the Hornady Loc n Load. I got the single stafge kit when they first came out. It has served me well for many years, and is very easy to use. The single stage suits the volume that I am loading.

Chad

packer58
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Rackman1,

Since your just getting into the reloading world I would suggest starting with a good single stage press, I own RCBS gear, a single stage and the ammo master turret. The single stage RCBS is what I reload all my big stuff with, and I think with less moving parts you can controll seating depths a little better IMO. Also, if your primarily loading hunting stuff you won't need the high volume of the turret press. As far as "kits" or "piece meal", there are kits available that will get you started in basic reloading for a reasonable price. Let me give you some sound advice from many years of handloading...............start out with a LARGE reloading bench/table, at first it will look a little empty and you'l have lots of space but before long you'll have more gadgets than carter has pills.

Drhorsepower
02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Rackman1,

Since your just getting into the reloading world I would suggest starting with a good single stage press, I own RCBS gear, a single stage and the ammo master turret. The single stage RCBS is what I reload all my big stuff with, and I think with less moving parts you can controll seating depths a little better IMO. Also, if your primarily loading hunting stuff you won't need the high volume of the turret press. As far as "kits" or "piece meal", there are kits available that will get you started in basic reloading for a reasonable price. Let me give you some sound advice from many years of handloading...............start out with a LARGE reloading bench/table, at first it will look a little empty and you'l have lots of space but before long you'll have more gadgets than carter has pills.

Good advice. For all hunting or accuracy loads, I use a single stage rcbs. You can pick up an rcbs reloading kit. I have seen them at Walmart even. I think it comes with the press, scale, powder measure and trickles. Most of the basics you will need. You can pick up a cheap tumbler at harbor freight along with media. You can go to a buddys house to borrow his trimmer. And a lee auto prime is fairly inexpensive.

It is called the rock Chucker master reloading kit. Comes with essentials. Check it out. That's what I would get. I have the same press and it is great. Don't waste your money on a turret press for the reasons packer said. Too many variables.

packer58
02-22-2012, 10:53 PM

Rackman1,

Just recieved my spring 2012 Natchez shooting supply catalog (www.natchezss.com)
The Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit is on sale for $289.95, plus $50.00 rebate if you purchase $300.00 in RCBS products.

The kit includes:

1) Rock Chucker Supreme press
2) 5-0-5 powder scale
3) Uniflow powder measure
4) Speer reloading manual #13
5) Hand priming tool
6) Hex key set
7) Case loading block
8) Case lube kit
9) Powder funnel
10) Deburing tool

You will need to purchase caliber specific shell holders and dies seperatly. Add a case trimmer, powder trickler, calipers and your set.

This setup will get you well on your way........

bigshot
02-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I agree, with ColoradoV, I bought a 7MM SAUM from them couple years ago and love it. It shoots half inch groups all day, with several bullet types and weights.

Rackman1
02-22-2012, 11:17 PM
You can always buy an older savage and build it your self pretty easily. Buy a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench and thats all you really need. Swap the barrel with a premium one of your choice, swap the stock with one of your choice, bed the action and free float, no reason why it shouldnt shoot under MOA, especially if you plan on handloading. If thats not good enough send it off to sharpshooter supply and have the action trued and timed or any other gunsmith. That would keep you under $1500 and ull have the satisfaction of building your own rifle. Once I get some money thats what I plan on doing.
What model savage would be the best to start with ?

Drhorsepower
02-22-2012, 11:37 PM

The rem 700 kind. Just kidding.

Jon Boy
02-22-2012, 11:51 PM

110 or 116 depending if you want blued or stainless, I dont think the 2011 or 2012 models work but every year before that does. I think a stevens action will work too but im not positive. You can find deals at pawn shops these days for 300 bucks or so. A shilen barrel will run you in between 350-450 depending on what grade you want. They bolt right up, and you pick your caliber. Your choice of stock, bell and carlsons are good as are mcmillans. Im planning on a laminate blank because there cheap, I like there looks and my dad and I are going to do some custom work to it. Bedding and free floating are easy and cheap to do. Theres a little more to it than that but not too much. Very doable for most people.

BigSurArcher
02-23-2012, 09:16 AM
I've done a few, and I would go with a Win 70 or Rem 700. My roommate and I are in the middle of our third customizing rifle project right now. Start with a solid lightly used factory barreled action in the caliber/ length of your choice. Perhaps you already have one... even better (and cheaper). Get an aftermarket stock for it. No need to go crazy, as the B&C Medalist is sufficient with it's full length aluminum bedding block. You have plenty of options on finishes for that custom look. Glass bed the action... something you can do yourself with some patience and confidence. Install a Timney trigger, top it with a nice piece of glass, and there you have it.

Before going out and buying a premium barrel... make sure the factory barrel doesn't shoot first. Example, my completely factory M70 setup shot 2" at 100, but the same barreled action now shoots 1/4" (and many times same hole) at 100 after my improvements. AND, I didn't even buy a new stock for it. I used the factory "boat paddle" and reinforced it throughout using epoxy before bedding with Devcon 10110. A well-played paint job gave it a very custom look. With the addition of an M1 turret on my VX3, it's well within deer lung area at 700 yards.

After we pop our Rem 700 out of the stock today and put the finishing touches on the bedding job I will snap some more photos and put together an instructional write-up on how to execute a proper bedding job.

Jon Boy
02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
^^ agreed. Rarely do you need to get a new barrel. But if I had 1500 bucks laying around and wanted a custom gun id probably slap a new barrel on for shits and gigs haha

Bitterroot Bulls
02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
BSA,

I would like to see the bedding pic. Do you just fill the voids with a lot of epoxy? As far as the instructions on bedding, I referenced a good series of YouTube videos on bedding in the Savage 110 project thread. Those videos pretty much lay out the technique I use. Is yours different?

It is amazing how a so-so rifle turns into a new beast after a good bedding job. Devcon 10110 is the way to go.

Jon Boy
02-24-2012, 09:23 PM
I would also like to know BSA. Im planning on doing the same to my original stock.

trkytrack2
02-25-2012, 05:43 AM
I hunt with a tikka currently in 30-06 and a savage in a 243 win. Looking for a mildly custom rifle in a 300 win 300wsm 7 mm but most importantly try to achieve better accuracy than i currently have .

With just a bit of tweeking and some good handloads with good bullets that 30-06 will shoot as good as any custom rifle and kill just as dead as any magnum made and it won't cost anything near what a "custom rifle" will.

BigSurArcher
02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I'll get some pics up later on when it's done fellas.

Rackman1
02-25-2012, 10:01 PM
With just a bit of tweeking and some good handloads with good bullets that 30-06 will shoot as good as any custom rifle and kill just as dead as any magnum made and it won't cost anything near what a "custom rifle" will.

Just got my reloader and im ready to go !!! Any suggestions on recipes , Im looking to load a 180 grain bullet?

packer58
02-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Just got my reloader and im ready to go !!! Any suggestions on recipes , Im looking to load a 180 grain bullet?

Rackman1,

If I may make a suggestion, buy yourself a couple reloading manuals (latest edition) if possible. Become familiar with the various burn rates of different propelents. Use EXTREME caution adopting someones "pet load data". All loads should be "worked up" incrementaly watching for presure signs along the way.

Rackman1
02-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Rackman1,

If I may make a suggestion, buy yourself a couple reloading manuals (latest edition) if possible. Become familiar with the various burn rates of different propelents. Use EXTREME caution adopting someones "pet load data". All loads should be "worked up" incrementaly watching for presure signs along the way.
Yes thanks for the advice I should have suggested if any one can point me in the correct direction of any manual based recipes or information thanks!!

packer58
02-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Your welcome....

Rackman1
02-25-2012, 10:58 PM
I also might add that ive done quite a bit of research but am more interested in hearing expirienced hunters and reloaders thoughts!

ChadH
02-25-2012, 11:02 PM
I know my Winchester Model 70 LOVES 165 grain Nosler Partitons and the IMR 4350 loads in the Nosler manuel. I always look in that manuel first when working up a load, don't know why, it just seems to always get me started right.

Drhorsepower
02-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Start low and work up. Everybody wants to skip this it seems like, they want speed. Remember I will take a more accurate load over a faster load. ACCURACY IS FINAL! Btw, reloading is addicting, it is a great hobby and your wife will usually get mad at you for spending too much time in the garage, when she asks you how much longer, always double your estimate, you will usually be closer. Welcome to the wonderful, addicting world of reloading!

Ps. Like packer said, don't follow someone else's recipe, especially if it over max in your manual, two reasons, it's not safe and every gun likes a different load find what is best for your weapon and plus that takes all the fun put of reloading!

Bitterroot Bulls
02-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Get the most recent manuals from the bullet manufacturer you plan on using. Nosler is a great place to start, although their velocities are a little optomistic.

Due to construction and material differences, data for 180 Noslers won't be good for 180s froma different manufacturer. Get good data, and don't push past the listed max.

hvfd21walker
02-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep welcome to the world of reloading. Heck I even have my wife hooked on it. For my 30-06 IMR 4831 has always been a good powder for me. But the best bet is to get an updated manual of the bullet that you are going to shoot. Like everyone else has said, start light and work your way up.

Big Sky
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
One more fro IMR 4831 we to go through quite a bit of it.

trkytrack2
03-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Rackman1,

X-2 Packman