PDA

View Full Version : Boise Idaho. Anyone live there?

Drhorsepower
02-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Can you give me pros and cons? How do you like it. There is a slight chance I might be moving there. I have been there a few times on assignment but my exposure is limited. What do you guys think of the city?

packer58
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Is this possible move to Boise work related or are you just getting tired of looking at Nevada bucks.....:D

Drhorsepower
02-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Haha. No it would be work related. Living in elk country wouldn't be a bad thing though. Maybe I could help thin out the wolf population as well.

Drhorsepower
02-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Oh and I have read a book titled, "Idahos Greatest Mule Deer", I haven't seen a Nevada one. Lol

Howahunter
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Boise is pretty nice. I spent the first 18 years of my life there and then another year there just very recenty. Boise was once fantastic; now that the population boomed with non-residents it is different but still a nice place to live. Winters are minimal; summers usually 90's to 100's. Lots of recreation surrounding the area. Not as many animals in the general vicinity due to everyone wanting their McMansion on prime winter habitat and new subdivisions that devestated many acres of waterfowl habitat.
Most people are friendly; there is plenty to do. Cost of living is pretty good; now is the time to buy a house in Ada or Canyon Counties. We like it their but would not move back...to many people.
You should enjoy it if you choose to move there but don't get sucked into the "blorange" bandwagon....

Drhorsepower
02-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Thank you howa for responding. It sounds similar to where I live now but without alot of the bs. So what is blorange? Boise state university thing? Just a guess

packer58
02-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Wow DRH, I would have thought you would have gotten more responces...........maybe nobody wants you to move to Boise :eek:

Drhorsepower
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Wow DRH, I would have thought you would have gotten more responces...........maybe nobody wants you to move to Boise :eek:

You and me both brother. Oh well.

trkytrack2
02-25-2012, 06:33 AM
I saw a TV show about best/worst places to live. Boise got good marks in everything but air quality. It was paired with living along the front range of Colorado for air pollution. But I think I could overlook that just for the hunting opportunity. Hell, I've lived along the Colorado front range and although it does suck at times, the windy days blows it all away sooner or later. Now the massive people influx is another matter.

Howahunter
02-25-2012, 09:49 PM
haha yes blorange is a bsu thing. Boise is really a great place but if I had to move back I would look to live outside of the city. Kuna or somewhere south of Nampa. Boise does get horrible inversions in the winter due to being in a bowl. Plus if you like Salmon fishing it is very close to some great rivers.

Drhorsepower
02-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks howa, my wife was totally against it, now she is looking forward to going and checking it out in April! I myself am looking forward to it.

Ikeepitcold
02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I think you will like Boise. I lived in Meridian for about a year but it was about 13 years ago so I'm not sure about the increased population. I loved it! Great people a ton of activities to do with your young family. The lakes and rivers were awesome for some great fishing. Some of the biggest bass I've ever caught. Tubbing down the river all summer was a must. Then there is all of the over the counter deer, elk, bear, and Mt lion tags that ID has and now with the wolf available, moose, goats ect it's a real Sportsmans state. For the drawbacks there is the very over population now from what I've read, ID sucks on their conservation of the elk and deer herds, way to many tags sold for the states income and not for the quality of game the state should have, lastly which kinda depends on were you live is it seemed to take a long time to get from town to town. They are very spread out so you drive time for a commute could be a real factor for you. Things I'm sure have changed in 13 years. I really liked The towns outside of Boise myself kinda like were you are now and just take the drive to Boise when needed.

So is the Boise area the only area your considering? If I was going to move back I would take a hard look at Idaho Falls. Much smaller then Boise but still big enough to have a walmart, Sportsmans, home depot I think, about the size of Carson City, and some of the best OTC tags a hr away. Tetons are about 2 hrs as well as Jackson Hole Wy.

Edelweiss
04-07-2012, 02:09 AM
I heard Jackson was about a 19 hour drive. :)

Ikeepitcold
04-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I heard Jackson was about a 19 hour drive. :)

Not from Idaho Falls

Drhorsepower
04-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm in Boise right now. It's pretty awesome. People here are actually nice. Good food. Good weather. My wife was even reluctant to come on this trip, now she wants to stay longer and definitely move

Ikeepitcold
04-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm in Boise right now. It's pretty awesome. People here are actually nice. Good food. Good weather. My wife was even reluctant to come on this trip, now she wants to stay longer and definitely move

If you get the chance check out the river walk down town Boise. Great fishing. Usually you will see some Bald Eagles fishing as well.

Drhorsepower
04-07-2012, 06:45 PM
If you get the chance check out the river walk down town Boise. Great fishing. Usually you will see some Bald Eagles fishing as well.

My hotel is almost on the river! It's super close to eberlestock as well. I was going to walk there today with my daughter but ran our of time. I really like this town.

Edelweiss
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Not from Idaho Falls

Just joking.

GameSlayer
04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Idaho gets better when you leave Boise and head north..

Drhorsepower
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Idaho rocks. I want 5 wolf tags!

GameSlayer
04-11-2012, 11:31 AM
You get 10 if you take the trappin class!

Drhorsepower
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
You get 10 if you take the trappin class!

Nice!!!! I'd love to do my part in predator control. I was on a fire out of Idaho city a few years ago and we heard wolves every night.

Ikeepitcold
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Nice!!!! I'd love to do my part in predator control. I was on a fire out of Idaho city a few years ago and we heard wolves every night.

Hey now if you get that many I want the invite to help!

Drhorsepower
04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Hey now if you get that many I want the invite to help!

Oh fo shizzle my nizzle. You best be coming up no matter what to do sum huntin'

Ikeepitcold
04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Oh fo shizzle my nizzle. You best be coming up no matter what to do sum huntin'

Done deal! Pull my arm

wolftalonID
04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Well welcome to Boise!!! I lived there as a kid, as a teen, and moved on my own back to Boise in 99. I currently live in McCall.....but just found that will be changing. I am going to go to flight school starting like.....well now really. Will be moving down to the Nampa Caldwell area first of June to manage my time and be able to work part time and do school. Really sucks to be so close to the elk now and moving farther away. I will still be bow hunting up here this September though.
Its been about almost three years up here. I really enjoy the peace and quiet. Now back to the mad rush of city life.

Ikeepitcold
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Well welcome to Boise!!! I lived there as a kid, as a teen, and moved on my own back to Boise in 99. I currently live in McCall.....but just found that will be changing. I am going to go to flight school starting like.....well now really. Will be moving down to the Nampa Caldwell area first of June to manage my time and be able to work part time and do school. Really sucks to be so close to the elk now and moving farther away. I will still be bow hunting up here this September though.
Its been about almost three years up here. I really enjoy the peace and quiet. Now back to the mad rush of city life.

I've lived in Nampa for about 6 months. There used to be some good fishing just outside of Caldwell. We Elk hunt down by Palasades Res. it seems there is more and more hunters there each year and less Elk. How is the hunting by McCall?

wolftalonID
04-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Well....its not a cake walk. You know how it goes. They are here, just have to find them....then hunt them. I like to go for a week. That way the weekend rush goes away and you tend to have the area to yourself more or less during the week.
Last year I went to a spot I had not hunted yet but looked very promising. I had two guys from the forums come and hunt with me from out of state. We spent four disappointing days chasing elk sign, hearing them at night, and getting very bummed out. Then on the fourth day one guy tagged out, and me and the other guy both got to put a chase on some nice bulls but were not able to get clean shots and only watched them walk away. Was a hard long hunt, lots of fun, and this year will be the same!!!!
With the exception of knowing the hidy holes to look in better!!! Maybe I could say the elk educated us a little last season.

Ikeepitcold
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Sounds like our spot too. Took 3 years to find the hidy hole with no Elk taken. Then the last 2 years we went we filled. Was very discouraging for sure. The last year we went only one Elk and a crap load of pumpkin heads running around. Still a good solid week of hunting and some awesome country. But to eat $1k for three years in a row kinda sucked. I'll probably try it again in a few years and see how the elk are doing.