PDA

View Full Version : GPS Questions

IL Hntr
03-05-2011, 07:41 PM
A friend and I are getting ready to head to Colorado for our first elk hunt this year. I don't own a GPS and I'm looking for a little help. I would like one with a color screen so I can load 1:24,000 maps with land ownership overlays. I have found good reviews on the Garmin 60Csx and they have come down a lot in price. I have also been looking at the new Oregon 550t but it is pricey.

Is the screen big enough on the 60Csx to work well with the 1:24,000 maps? Do any of you have any recommendations on where to buy these detailed maps (huntinggpsmaps.com, huntersmaps.com, kmlers.com)? I'm new to the GPS world so any advice is greatly appreciated.

robsev
03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
I own a Garmin 76 and I really like it. I have owned 3 Garmins and haven't had a problem with any. I carried one for a year in Iraq and never once got lost. I'm not familiar with the 60 but I'm sure it would work great. There is a Public Land Boundary Topo Map GPS card that has really good reviews. I'm going to purchase one this spring. I found it on longrangehunting.com

shed
03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I was at sportsman wharehouse 6-7 weeks ago and they had the oregons discounted because of a new model coming out.

Roboz
03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Take a look at the Magellan explorist 610 or 710, they have built in topo maps and land ownership in the summit series maps. I am waiting on mine to get here, i will let you know how it works.

jhpam3117
03-12-2011, 12:50 PM
I have the Garmin etrex vista (color screen) and it has never let me down after several years of use.

307Wapiti
03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I bought the Garmin 60CSX last year (before the price redux) with a set of maps from huntingGPSmaps. I am quite pleased. I considered buying the Oregon as well and I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have the Oregon. All the reviews I read talked about how difficult the screen was to read on the Oregon in the sunlight. I also wasn't sure how keen I was having a touchscreen on a GPS. That and the fact that the 60CSX has a superior chipset led me to purchase the 60CSX.
That being said, the sunlight thing isn't that big a deal to the people that I personally know that own one, the touchscreen works quite well, and I don't know if the chipset difference is that big a deal either. I could certainly recommend the 60CSX, I really like mine, but I think the Oregon might be the way to go.

IL Hntr
03-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I couldn't pass up the 60Csx for $199. Talked to a guy at huntinggpsmaps.com and he actually recommended it as it is the unit he carries. Sounds like I would've been fine going either way.

rezavoirdog
03-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I have the Garmin Dakota 20! Used it for 2 seasons, Awesome!

shed
03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Do not buy the Garmin vista "color" !!! I have one, it was nice. Called Garmin to get some parts. They stopped making all parts for it. The funny thing is they have parts for the older version, Garmin vista.

Livesilly
03-14-2011, 08:31 PM
I have used the Garmin Map60CSX for about four years now and I am 100% pleased with it!!

Elkoholic307
03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I also have the 60CSX with the public land boundary map. It is my first GPS so I have nothing to compare it to but I love the thing.

BuckeyeDIY
03-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I didnt know about this public land boundary card, do they really work

pat_estvold
03-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a Oregon 400t and love it. I also use NDTRAX chip very good info for the price.
http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/html/ndtrax.html

kcaves
06-04-2011, 11:54 PM
I didnt know about this public land boundary card, do they really work
yes they work, the game and fish in wyoming won't even argue with the program anymore, u show em where u were and if its any color other than white than they say have a nice day

SDbowhunter
06-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I just picked up the Garmin Oregon 450t and so far its a great little piece, it went on sale and was cheaper than the lesser gps'. touchscreen works great! bought the northern rockys topo chip for it as well.

NDHunter
06-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I recently bought a Garmin Dakota 20. Have played around with a bit and it seems really cool. Just got a cabelas flyer and it has a Dakota 20 and topography card for $230. Looks to be a really good deal.

spotnstalk1
06-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I am looking at the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60 GPS. Has anyone used or know anything about them?

MOHunter
07-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista and absolutely love it. I became sold on GPS units on an elk hunt in OR. I got turned around late and night and I know it would have been a very long evening without it. I owned an older Magellan and it worked fine, but the Garmin has performed flawlessly and picks up up a signal better (may be due to newer technology though).

You've got to have the electronic compass. For a hunter I don't think anything less is even worth considering. Also, you need expandable memory via the SD cards. Internal memory is just too limited.

Garmin has come out with the BirdsEye satellite imagery mapping. This allows you to download actual satellite images to your unit, which I have not used but it sounds fantastic. The best part is you can overlay your topo maps on it. My next one will have this capability. You must be sure it is compatible with the software. I was sold on their new one, the 62S, but I just noticed they came out with a new eTrex that is compatible. It is a little cheaper.

Don't be afraid of Garmin as I'm thrilled so far.

Leveller
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
We got ourselves a pair of Garmin Hcx530. Yeah pricey, but they have all the features you are wanting, plus when you split up you can still see the location of the other person(s) who also have one. Built in radios, weather radio channels, and many other features. We love ours - rugged and waterproof too.

307Wapiti
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
yes they work, the game and fish in wyoming won't even argue with the program anymore, u show em where u were and if its any color other than white than they say have a nice day

I 2nd that they absolutely work. Not only do they work but when the State of Wyoming sent my paper elk tag there was a flyer in the envelope for the maps from gpshuntingmaps.com. If that isnt an endorsement from the G&F, I don't know what is.

coyhuntermn
07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
I carry both a Garmin Rhino 530 and my Iphone. I have an app on the Iphone called topo maps its only $10 you can download any topo quad in the US and its unlimited. They are shaded relief and store on your phone so they work anywhere you don't have to be in service. It would be the bomb if I had the ability to only turn on the GPS and not wireless currently its all or nothing. When the phone is out of service it will scan constantly for signal which kills your battery. I think the Android phones can independently control that. I would recommend a smart phone over a stand alone GPS more bang for your buck and safety assuming you can get around the battery issue.

coyhuntermn
07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I noticed garmin has Birdseye "satelite photos" now for its newer handhelds and there is a new rhino that falls into this category. There is a $30 per year subscription for a combo Birdseye, topo 24k and city streets that would be very powerful and cheaper than buying the datasets.

Leveller
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I carry both a Garmin Rhino 530 and my Iphone. I have an app on the Iphone called topo maps its only $10 you can download any topo quad in the US and its unlimited. They are shaded relief and store on your phone so they work anywhere you don't have to be in service. It would be the bomb if I had the ability to only turn on the GPS and not wireless currently its all or nothing. When the phone is out of service it will scan constantly for signal which kills your battery. I think the Android phones can independently control that. I would recommend a smart phone over a stand alone GPS more bang for your buck and safety assuming you can get around the battery issue.

Thanks for the heads up on the iPhone app. I also have the 530 but carry my iPhone so this will be a sweet combo :)

Drhorsepower
07-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I have that same app. I love it. I also have it on the iPad and very nice to view them on a bigger screen

307Wapiti
07-20-2011, 08:32 PM

I can't be sure without having bought the app myself but I would think you could go into your settings and turn on the airplane mode. I usually do that to be able to use my phone as an alarm clock without draining the battery while it was constantly searching for service. Now it might disable the GPS functionality too, but it would be worth a try.

Leveller
07-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Who is the author of that app guys? TrailBehind? If so, it says in the preamble that, since V2.0, Offline Topo Maps is no longer free. Do they just mean the $10 initial download?