PDA

View Full Version : Core4element switchback pant

bluedunn0
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Looking at picking a set of these up. Any reviews out there. Would be using them on late sept. elk hunt in the wyo backcountry. Thanks

RUTTIN
02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
The switchback are a light weight pant that work great. The only thing is that if you are going through thick brush alot, they can wear out a little quicker than the element pant, only because they are very light weight, which is great for those hot summer days. Hope this helps.

bluedunn0
02-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Thanks Rut. What does the material compare to? In terms of a pant that I can get my hands on.

Fink
02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks Rut. What does the material compare to? In terms of a pant that I can get my hands on.

The closest thing that I think you might be able to compare it to would be the Northface Paramount pant. The Switchback is a little lighter than the Paramount though. I wore the switchback pant throughout a few hiking trips around YNP and an antelope hunt, and loved them. If you aren't in a hurry, check out Camofire.com. He's been putting them on the site recently.

RUTTIN
02-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Fink has it down, Kendall at Camofire.com will take care of you on any of your Core4element garments. The best thing I could compare them to is my kids pajama pants.

bluedunn0
02-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Agree with camofire. They have been really helpful. I have the north face paramount pants and love em. Would be awesome if the switchbacks were as good!!

BigSurArcher
02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
I did a fairly in-depth review of my Core-4-Element stuff here, including the switchback pants. (see link)

http://bowhuntingetc.blogspot.com/2012/02/core4element-clothing-review.html

Fink
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Nice review BigSur. I actually prefer a lighterweight beanie or hat.. I seem to always overheat and sweat alot more if I'm wearing something heavy on my head. I usually hunt with a mesh ball cap clear into late season here..
Bottom line with the Core4 gear: If you like Sitka gear, you will like Core4... And, you will love the price.

RUTTIN
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
They have also come out with a vest built like the element jacket, more should be available in June. Keep an eye out for any core4 on camofire. The Element pant also are very nice, they have zippers with mesh in the thigh area for when it gets a little warm, built in removable knee pads when needed, and are very comfortable.

Fink
02-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Bluedunn- The Switchback is up on Camofire right now... If you were so inclined :)

bluedunn0
02-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Ordered thx all we shall see what they are like

highlife
02-28-2012, 08:42 PM
These pants are great. I used mine for 10 plus mile backpack trips last September, and for elk hunting in November. In November, the temps dipped below 20 degrees and with a pair of thermals under the Switchback pants, I was fine. If you are looking for a good durable pant, I would suggest the Switchback, especially if you can pick them up for a good price on camofire.

wapiti66
07-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Bringing an old thread back to life.. How do these pants hold up? Im in need of an early season hunting pant starting sep. elk season and then antelope and deer. These are on camofire right now but I was wondering how they would handle crawling? Being lightweight makes me think they may wear out fast?? I pretty much only archery hunt and deer/antelope seasons have me doing a low of crawling on my knees. I usually buy the $4o cabelas cotton camo pants but have been reconsidering this time around with something that dries faster and is lighter. Thanks for any input.

Fink
07-30-2013, 02:42 PM
After one season, mine are still pretty much like brand new. I have no reason to believe they wont easily last the next two seasons, as they show no signs of wear. A few friends have had issues with the belt loops breaking though.

tttoadman
07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Bringing an old thread back to life.. How do these pants hold up? Im in need of an early season hunting pant starting sep. elk season and then antelope and deer. These are on camofire right now but I was wondering how they would handle crawling? Being lightweight makes me think they may wear out fast?? I pretty much only archery hunt and deer/antelope seasons have me doing a low of crawling on my knees. I usually buy the $4o cabelas cotton camo pants but have been reconsidering this time around with something that dries faster and is lighter. Thanks for any input.

I just bought these myself. I like the material and the fit. If I would not have screwed up and waited over 10 days, i would be sending them back. The cargo pockets on the side are considerably smaller than the sitka ascent pants. I was going to live with that. the kicker for me was the metal snaps on the cargo pockets. I don't want to snap the pockets closed all the time. when the snaps are undone, you are "ticking" along when you walk. I will be forced to snap them closed all the time, or i will get pissed and cut the buttons off.

I did buy these from camofire along with 190 merino tops and bottoms and the assault zip shirt. I really like all of this stuff.

I was looking at getting the element pants for november. I have sent an inquiry to camofire to ask how I can get my hands on some element pants without buying them so i can really look them over. I try not to be overly picky about everything. its just me.

All that said. I think camofire is a pretty cool deal, and I am on their daily email list.

wapiti66
07-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I got home too late to get them bought but it sounds like they are a pretty good deal. Maybe they will come back up on camofire before season gets here. Camofire is cool, Ive grabbed some good deals from there, plus it's like opening presents as a kid. When you get on the site, you never know what they may have in store for you each day.

RUTTIN
07-31-2013, 02:10 PM
If you guys are interested in some of the other items Core4 has check out my blog @ www.gffadventures.blogspot.com I have a review of the clothes that I have on there.