PDA

View Full Version : Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with BRX reticle

Montana
02-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Alright I just dropped the big bones on a scope I have been watching for years. The review were incredible but the price just makes me sick.

Anybody out there have this? Did I screw up or is it that good? Should be here in a week.

I am especially interested in the reticle, that was the one area of some dissatisfaction.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Montana,

If you can trade it in on the BRH reticle, I think you will likely be much happier. The BRX and BRH are the same reticle, the BRH is just slightly thicker, and works much better in low light. The BRH is not really thick, it is just the BRX is really thin.

I have the Z3 4-12X50 w/ BRH and it is a fine, fine scope.

You can use the Swarovski calculator for your drops, or you can use your own program and use the scope on Max power, the dots and lines are subtended in 0.5 mils.

I really like my scope.

One other thing, the BRX/BRH models all have the parallax set at 200m so there is a little parallax at 100 yards you need to take into account during load development. The 200m parallax setting greatly aids in lowering parallax levels at greater distances (eliminating the need for a parallax adjustment knob on the scope), even out to 1000 yards.

Montana
02-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks BB... I'm not sure if they still make the BRH. I just double checked thinking I may have missed something but I don't see it on their website. I guess we will see soon enough:)

Montana
02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
You Tube... Christian Arms and Swarovski's BRX reticle... It didn't hurt any that is my caliber too...

Bitterroot Bulls
02-24-2012, 06:30 AM
The BRH is still fully available, and in fact, is now available in the top-of-the-line z6 series.

Here it is listed on the Swarovski Optik website:

http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/reticle-overview

Where did you order it from? I am sure they would let you exchange. Swarovski actually made the BRH at the request of hunters (That is what the H is for in BRH). They only list the BRX on the online Calculator, because the subtensions are the same with the BRX and BRH, so you can use the same drops for both.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Here is my BRH Z3:

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php/2072-Savage-7mm-Rem-Mag-Project

Montana
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Alright BB you might be right.... I received the scope today and I too am concerned about the thin reticles. I am upgrading from the Leupold B&C reticle, the B&C reticle itself might be the best reticle out there but don't think the glass is the same. My concern with the BRH is just the opposite, too thick at long distance in low light. Ohhh the decisions in life.

Does anyone out there shoot the BRX?

Bitterroot Bulls
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Montana,

The B&C sucks. I'm sorry to those that like it, but it does. I had one. Those tapered bars are distracting, and make finding the perfect spot on the bar for windage tough. Also, the generic magnification positions for drops might fit some trajectories, but not the loads I used, at least not past 400.

I also had a Zeiss Rapid Z-600. Now that was what the B&C wished it was. I was able to get the reticle tuned to my load with ease. the windage bars were usefull.

I also like Vortex's Dead Hold BDC. The subtensions are in MOA, and it is easy to dope your drops to it.

But, BY FAR, the best ballistic reticle I have used is the BRH. It is not TOO thick, just thick enough. It is baby bear's porridge: just right. The BRH is actually a little thinner than the Rapid Z. The drop bars and dots are calibrated in even 1/2 mils (at max power), so getting your drops are cake, with just about any trajectory program. Then, you can also use Swarovski's program and get drops fro any magnification. It is extremely versatile.

Montana, the BRH is awesome.

Montana
02-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Undecided on what to do but we will see.... I can't agree with you on the B&C reticle. And maybe I am not as into the technical shooting as some. But the B&C has flat laid down some animals for me, and at good distances. If there is a strong cross wind then that simply means the animals can't hear when I move in for a closer shot.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Undecided on what to do but we will see.... I can't agree with you on the B&C reticle. And maybe I am not as into the technical shooting as some. But the B&C has flat laid down some animals for me, and at good distances. If there is a strong cross wind then that simply means the animals can't hear when I move in for a closer shot.

Hey Montana,

We are practically neighbors. PM me, and you can check out my Z3 BRH in person, and see if it is right for you.

I kind of let the B&C have it there, didn't I? If the reticle works with your drops, it should be good to go. It sounds like it works for you, and that is what counts. It is definitely better than Kentucky windage! I couldn't get it to line up with any of my loads, and it isn't all that customizable. No worries, disagreement is OK on this forum, I think.

Montana
02-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah you're good... No worries :) I think I may have to just let it go... It was a great price but it just isn't going to work. The BRH is another $200 and with NZ in 5 weeks the wife might use that scope on me if I keep dropping the big coinage.

Thanks for the offer and all the input!!

tdub24
10-28-2013, 10:03 AM
So I see Cabela's has the Swarovski Z3 on sale plus if you are a Cabela's Visa card holder you can get 0% interest for 12 months if you put it on the card. They now have the adjustable turrets, so splitting hairs over the reticle is not that important.

BB, overall are you happy with the scope over the past year and a half?

Anybody else in this hunting forum world have any experience using this scope?

I am considering upgrading. I put a Leupold Rifleman I had on my Remington .270WSM and was very pleased with it. Shot less than a 1" group last year at the range. The gun proceeding to sit in the gun safe all year. Then I take it out early this year to make sure where I left it is where it is. I my surprise, the scope was way off, taking me a whole box of shells to get back on. Just couldn't understand it, for 2 years using manufactured ammunition (Remington Premier 150gr AccuTip Boattails) the group was money. Then all of a sudden its off. I normally run Leupold VX-2s but had this Rifleman laying around so I figured what the hell when I bought the rifle.

Anyways...............got side tracked there for a second. Again, for basically $90 a month, I can get the Z3............good buy or not? Why?

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

Thomas

Just looked at the promotion again...............only have till October 31st to make the decision. S***, I normally take weeks to do proper research. Oh well, hopefully I get something here. Thanks

Bitterroot Bulls
10-28-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't buy stuff on credit whenever I can avoid it, even when it is 0% for 12 months.

I love the Swarovski Z3. It has been a tough, durable scope for me with top notch optical performance. I like the BRH reticle a lot as well.

tdub24
10-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Thank you sir, I'm curious to why you do not like taking advantage of monthly payments over a lump sum payment though.

Bitterroot Bulls
10-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Thank you sir, I'm curious to why you do not like taking advantage of monthly payments over a lump sum payment though.

I just don't like owing money, and there is always the chance you end up paying interest if for whatever reason you don't get it paid off in time.

tdub24
10-28-2013, 12:59 PM
That makes sense, thank you for replying.