PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding the right gps

Russell M.
02-25-2012, 05:27 PM
I never saw the need to have a gps but the more I think about the more I am realizing that I do. I don't really know much about them. I was thinking about the Garmin Oregon but not sure. I've done a lot of research on different units and they and they all seem to have their pros and cons. Is there any specific features that i should really look for or what? Thanks

labman
02-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I am having the same dilemma as well!! I have narrowed mine down to the etrex 30. What I feel are pros to me were that the etrex can track glonass sats as well as gps (quicker and more accurate, but i assume they all will do this eventually). I can load topo maps to it and it has good battery life and small. cons its a smaller screen and if touch screen is important then the etrex is not for you. good luck on your search!!

Bitterroot Bulls
02-25-2012, 08:44 PM
I will be moving to the Oregon 450 this year. I thought about the Montana, but that thing is almost as big as an iPad!

ChadH
02-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I will be moving to the Oregon 450 this year. I thought about the Montana, but that thing is almost as big as an iPad!

+1 on teh Oregan. That is what I have.

Montana
02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
+1 on teh Oregan. That is what I have.

Make that 2... I have it and it is impressive. I literally can be standing on a fence line and my GPS will tell me I am on public and who owns the property 1 ft in front of me. I can't say I love the navigational part of it not super easy to use. But when I need to know where public and private is, it is invaluable.

Montana
02-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I never saw the need to have a gps but the more I think about the more I am realizing that I do. I don't really know much about them. I was thinking about the Garmin Oregon but not sure. I've done a lot of research on different units and they and they all seem to have their pros and cons. Is there any specific features that i should really look for or what? Thanks

To specifically answer this question... Make sure it's color and has the ability to determine private/public ground.

jenbickel
02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
I also have had some GPS units that when it gets dark, the screen doesnt light up.. so make sure if you are going to be out when it's dark that you get one that you can still read in the dark or low light. It never fails that I lose track of time chasing something one more canyon over (which turns out to be one more canyon, okay one more canyon, okay just one more... 15 miles later..) and then have to hike my butt out in the dark. I definitely also look for ones that are easy to use.. I am not always the brightest person in the world..

ChadH
02-26-2012, 09:35 AM
I also have had some GPS units that when it gets dark, the screen doesnt light up.. so make sure if you are going to be out when it's dark that you get one that you can still read in the dark or low light. It never fails that I lose track of time chasing something one more canyon over (which turns out to be one more canyon, okay one more canyon, okay just one more... 15 miles later..) and then have to hike my butt out in the dark. I definitely also look for ones that are easy to use.. I am not always the brightest person in the world..

Battery life is a BIG issue with that, especially on the touch screen models. Once you hit 50% battery life some of the units kick into battery saver mode and it is nearly impossible to read them, especially in bright sun light.

Elk Hunter
02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
This was my first year with the Oregon 450. My first upgrade from the Garmin 12XL, so big difference. With the 12XL I would mark where I parked, camped, and where my elk was , turn it off and never look at it again. Only one time did I use it to get me to where I needed to go one night (long story). I really don't need the 450 any more than the 12XL but I get a lot more use out of it. Find an address on Google maps, download the position to the Oregon 450, and it will give you turn by turn instructions on how to get there. Sync the time with your camera, save the track log, and software available on the internet will assign GPS coordinates to your pictures. With the heart rate monitor it will record your heart rate to the track log. Love the maps, which were all downloaded from the internet. You can also make your own. gpsfiledepot.com has been a big help.

Battery life is way better than the 12XL. The 12XL could go through 4 AA batteries in a day if it was on. The 450 can go for three to four days on two AA's, but all I usually do is just turn it on, lock the screen, and put it away. Change screens a lot, use the backlight a lot, and your milage will vary. The best batteries I have tried so far are the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA. Tried rechargeable. OK, but they go pretty quick.

jjenness
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I am using the GPS Map 62. It has been a great unit, color screen, back lit screen, able to load topo maps, able to overlay topo maps with land owner maps. And for the price, it was hard to justify spending a lot more $ when this unit had all the features that I felt I needed in a GPS. Decide what features are your must haves, and then see what unit fits the bill. Any additional features can then be added to whatever degree you are willing to spend the cash for. Good luck.

brooks
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Im not an expert on gps I've only owned 2 of them. 1 was the Rhino 120 with a radio and the other is a Garmin Oregon 450T and the Oregon is a lot better than the Rhino 120 ...bigger screen, sd card slot for maps, touch screen which IMHO is the only way to go. I am really happy with the Oregon 450T it was really easy to learn how to use it. As far as batterys I found if I use Lithieum batterys thay seem to last about 3 or 4 times longer...same goes for my camera, that thing would eat batterys now with the Lithieum they last for weeks at a time.

ps... From what I've been reading the Montana gps with the camera would really be nice because you can take a pic on the run and make it a waypoint....you wouldn't have to type in a name or location. Like if you were riding a horse or atv. Just take a pic and put a name on it later.....sounds good anyway.

gethuntin
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I have a Garmin 60csx i really cant complain i bought it a couple years ago when they were on sale for $200 and the reviews were good then and still are good on them and you can still find them for about 200. I will say i would really consider getting one with the option of a micro sd slot. Makes life easier getting maps uploaded. I know for that era of garmins if it had an X at the end of the model is had the micro sd slot ie. 60csX.

beav906
02-28-2012, 12:08 PM
For anyone interested in an Oregon I got a cabelas flyer yesterday. This Saturday they have them for 299 on a 4 hour door buster sale. That was for the Springfield, Oregon store but might check into the nearest one to you

dustyboots
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I have the Garmin GPS maps 62st and love it all everything you need and also waterproof and comes with topomaps of entire US preloaded on the unit

beav906
02-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Looked at the flyer when I got home and the price on the 4 hour sale is 229!

nvbrushhunter
06-19-2012, 07:10 PM
I have been using Garmin products for years. I currently use an Oregon 450 and a foretrex and I have used them without issues.

Roger L
06-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I just upgraded from a 10 year old Megellan Sport Trak Pro to their 610 series. This is my 4th upgrade over many years. they have been good so far and the trade in value of my old unit has always kept me from changing to another brand. I may be missing out on some better unit but so far the Magellan has met my needs. My number one complaint with them has been reception in heavy timber, but I suspect that is an issues with most units.