PDA

View Full Version : Boots

twp1224
03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I have always used cheap hiking shoes (Hitec, Cabelas). Figured I could just buy a new pair every season. I'm really wondering if it's worth the money to buy a good pair of hunting boots. Does it really make a difference? I've had no problems with foot or back fatigue with my cheap boots. Will i notice the difference? I'm looking at trying a pair of Lowa Ranger GTX this year if i make the switch. Anyone using these boots? How do they hold up?

Gamehog
03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I know what you mean. I do the same thing and could have saved a lot of money if I had just gone out and bought a good pair of boots. I guess it true, you get what you pay for.

ceby7
03-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I used the Rangers last fall and I really like them. They're comfortable and they've held up great so far. They are more of an early season boot since they're uninsulated, I used mine for archery elk and antelope in Oct. If you're going to hunt in very steep and rocky terrain, you might want a little stiffer boot with more ankle support like the Tibets. As with any quality boot, if you take care of the leather, you will prolong the life of the boot significantly. I've had a pair of the Tibets for 4 years and they've never let water in.

03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I was using cheap boots as shoes for a few years and I finally made the break and bought some Kenetrek mountain boots before going on a high country hunt. At the end of the season I swore up and down I would never go back to a cheap shoe or boot. My feet were in great shape, my ankles and knees felt amazing. I didn't have to break in a new pair of boots the next year because the Kenetreks were still in great shape. Not a scratch on them. I've never had a better season as far as my feet, legs, and back were concerned than the years I have been in Kenetreks. I also have a pair of Irish Setter Elk trackers for stalking in the low country bush. I love them to. Softer souled for better sneaking.

twp1224
03-09-2011, 01:25 PM
thanks for the input guys. I bit the bullet and bought the Lowa Ranger GTX on sale at Shoebuy.com for $187. To good of a deal to pass up. They had a 20% off code and if you sign up for email updates they give you an additional 10% your first order.

Elkoholic307
03-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm on the fence whether to get Cabela's Pinnacle or something a little more legit like Cabela's Alaska Hunter or something from Lathrop & Sons. The Pinnacle is $120 and Alaska Hunter is $290.

abrowland
03-10-2011, 10:52 PM
I had to give up my trusted boots after 13 years of hunting. Two soles and several re-stitching attempts couldn't keep them together. I paid about $160 back then. That works out to about $12.50 a year. With the resole and restitch, my annual cost was around $20 per year. This year I dropped $190 on new Vasque boots. I tried a pair of Zamberlan for 2 months, but the heel cup was never right. I expect to get at least 10 years out of these boots. Again, my costs should be around $20 per year. Cheaper than cheap tennis shoes.

I generally put about 50 miles per year on the trails, plus around-town time during the winter. I feel like I get my money's worth out of a good pair of boots.

abrowland
03-10-2011, 10:58 PM
This year I bought new boots after 13 years in my old boots. Original cost back then was $160. I had a restitch and resole done two years ago for $100. Per annual cost is $20.

This winter I bought a pair of Vasque for $180. I expect to get 10 years out of them with proper care and feeding. With any luck, I should be into these boots for about the same price - $20/year. In my mind, it is better to buy a quality boot and get years out of them rather than a cheaper boot every couple of years. I think you save money in the long run. In the scree and granite of Colorado, tough soles and outers are a must.

wolftalonID
03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I tried two different boots with Cabelas lable on them, they both were horrible boots, and tore up my feet. I switched to the Danners Pronghorns with the 400 gram thinsulate. Waterproof, light, no breakin period, quiet, and allows for good stalks with shoes on. The difference was amazing to say the least!!! My first pair I have owned for three seasons and still going on them as winter boots where I live. I bought a second pair a few months ago and put aside as they changed the style and I loved the original so much. Im keeping them for this upcoming season or maybe save them for next year. Either way I now have a great pair waiting to fill the slot when my first pair are done.

Elkoholic307
03-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I was also thinking about the Danner Pronghorns but read some reviews that said they're not really water proof. But then again, others say they love them. Just about anything would be better than what I'm using right now though.

jhpam3117
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
You can't go wrong with Lowa period. They make an outstanding boot and although I have not used the Ranger I have the Tibet and Sheep Hunter. Both are exceptional boots and keep your foot secure in the boot and provide great support. Yes...a good pair of hunting boots is crucial.

wolftalonID
03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
I was also thinking about the Danner Pronghorns but read some reviews that said they're not really water proof. But then again, others say they love them. Just about anything would be better than what I'm using right now though.

As with any goretex product. Dont wash them in a machine or put them in a dryer. If you feel the need to wash the boots, use goretex approved detergents or wash aids or the material will be compromised instantly.
Secondly, for those that dont understand water and gravity, they probably waded across a stream and cant understand how waist high water got into their boots ! lol.

Pronghorn73
03-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I have owned several different Danner boots over the years, last pair I bought were Pronghorn uninsulated. Just like all Danners, never hurt my feet from day one, but seem to wear out faster than some of the other Danner styles. Have been thinking of trying another brand, not sure what yet, but you do get what you pay for in boots.

Ikeepitcold
03-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I have a pair of Lowa Tibets and Lowa Sheep hunters. I love them! the most comfortable boots Ive ever worn. I also tried Rockys, Cabelas, Chipawa and Whites but none have performed as the Lowa. Ive had mine for 5 years and as long as I keep them waxed up before each late season hunt my feet never get wet from the outside weather. They also have a life time warranty, if the fail in any way all you have to do is call Lowa, send them is and they will repair or replace with no questions asked. I know for sure cause my buddy had a pair and the rubber started to pull away from the toe from being draged over a rock and they repaired at no cost but shipping.

Livesilly
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Well....I broke down yesterday and picked up a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme and I can't wait to get them on the mountain!!! This dang-ol snow and ice needs to leave!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry
03-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Schnees outfitter II, sell for $229. Good to 20 below zero. They have removable liners so you can air them out at night or swap out with a spare. They come in 10", 13" or 16" tops. Extra liners cost around $40.
I have ridden horses in these in a driving blizzard and been comfortable. Never a problem after hiking.
I have the 16" tops and love them for cold weather. They are kind of a pain to put on, but other than that nothing but good luck.

mthuntress
03-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Have you tried them yet?How do you like them?I'm thinking of getting a pair been eyeballing them for a year or two now.

iowashedhunter
03-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I have been wearing cabelas meindle's and love'em! I just got a pair with 400gr thinsulate and will be using them on my next Wyoming hunt but have no doubts I will have no problems at all.They are pricey but to me they are worth every cent.

twp1224
03-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Got the Lowa Ranger's in the mail. Fit great out of the box. I'm going to try hiking in them with a 30lb pack on this weekend, if the weather stays decent. I will post my review next week.

Livesilly
03-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Have you tried them yet?How do you like them?I'm thinking of getting a pair been eyeballing them for a year or two now.

Who? Me? lol.... If so, I have only had them on in the store for about an hour.... They feel great but can't wait to get them on the trail and see how they do!!

pat_estvold
03-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Danner Pronghorns with GORE-TEX lining waterproof, breathable protection easy to break in, durable and very comfortable, and the price is right $160. And if you need more waterproof than spray some Dry Camp silicone spray on then, and let them air out and dry down.

twp1224
03-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Went out with the Lowa Ranger GTX's this Saturday for a 3 mile hike with a 30lb pack on. The boots performed great. My feet didn't get hot or sweaty and they have really good traction. They are very comfortable and have good ankle support. I'm glad I decided to ditch the hi-tec's and get a good quality boot. thanks everyone for your feedback.

pre 64 model 70 .270
04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I started hunting again after a long layoff. So needed most all new gear. I bought a pair of Wolverines, gortex with thinsulate. Leaked first trip out. Last season i bought 2 pair of Rocky boots, gortex with thinsulate, 400/800. Wore the 400 thinslute pair on the first day of the season, they leaked. Good thing i had a back up pair. Those lasted till the 3rd day before the 800 thinsulate pair leaked. So, now i bought a pair of Danners, havent been out in them yet so I don't know if they'll hold up.

wolftalonID
04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Danners makes a great boot. I wore my first pair of 400 gram pronghorns now three seasons and going on a fourth. I bought a back up pair and put them away this spring just in case, as they changed the style on them, but I have nothing but good to say about them so far.

IL Hntr
04-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I have the Scarpa Escape GTX and Meindl Perfekt Hikers. I like both boots and haven't had any problems with the waterproofing of either boot. I did have some heel slippage in the Perfekt Hikers while mule deer hunting in SD but I think that was a problem I should've corrected sooner with how tight I had them laced. I would recommend both of these boots and plan to use the Scarpa in Colorado this year. I have been wanting to try on a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers but have no place to do that.

SDBirdman
04-14-2011, 10:01 PM
My Ranger GTXs are in their 3rd season and harldy show any abuse. The one drawback is the fact that there is no protection on the toe area. I also have a pair of Tibet GTX boots. Between the 2 of them I can cover just about any situation. I would highly recommend any boots by LOWA!! BTW my Tibet's are in their 6th season. Sole is showing some wear, but upper is in great shape.

Elkcaller
06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
This thread's a bit old, but I noticed a new brand (to me anyway) advertised in the latest EHJ 125, Crispi (page 47). I have an old pair of Cabela's Meindl boots and have loved them for a lot of years but I'm looking for a new pair. Thinking about another pair of Meindl's, Kennetrek and considering Crispi. Has anyone tried a pair of their boots yet?

Bitterroot Bulls
06-17-2011, 11:30 PM
I haven't tried Crispi, but I have a pair of Kayland Vertigo High hiking boots. They are awesome. I am one of those guys that spends half the year in blisters, but the Kaylands have been blister-free. They lace right down to the toe, so you can get the fit just right. They also have an eVent liner, so they breathe noticeably better than GTex. I did upgrade the insoles to Superfeet Green.

SDbowhunter
06-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I have a pair of Asolo powermatice 200's for early season and they fit me so well I almost want to sleep in them, for the later season I use Lowa tibet pro's since they are a little higher, I'm gonna have my brother in law get some Kennetrek's this fall and see how he likes them.

Graylight
06-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Danner Pronghorns...

dustyboots
06-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Love my pronghorns on my 3rd pair but thinking about trying some Kennetreks as well

wolftalonID
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
This last weekend I retired My first pair of pronghorns. I tried hiking in to scout a new area and limped out. The boots are in great shape, but I guess you can ground pound the foot beds out of them!! lol My first pair I have had for four years now.
First thing I did was pull out my new pair I had setting aside when I got home. Time to start putting the miles on the new ones now.

xtreme
07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I had a pair of Russell moccasins built. They are very comfortable but too heavy. My Danner Pronghorns GTX insulated are good boots for me.

08-07-2011, 06:06 PM
This thread's a bit old, but I noticed a new brand (to me anyway) advertised in the latest EHJ 125, Crispi (page 47). I have an old pair of Cabela's Meindl boots and have loved them for a lot of years but I'm looking for a new pair. Thinking about another pair of Meindl's, Kennetrek and considering Crispi. Has anyone tried a pair of their boots yet?

I have had several pair of ski boots made by Crispi and they are top notch. Superior design and superior construction. If their hiking boots are anything like their ski boots I will get a pair myself.

SDBirdman
08-13-2011, 11:30 PM
I use the LOWA Ranger GTX, Tibet GTX, Uplander and Zephyr. I love LOWA boots and yes you will feel the difference. I like that they are now offering the Ranger in a 9". I have been thinking about the Baffin or Banff because of the extra soft and smooth glove-leather lining. I haven't used them, but have heard that the leather lining is nice. I like the toe rand that is on the tibet and the baffin. I haven't experienced a problem without it on my Rangers, but I have read reviews where they have. Other good boot companies to consider in your search to find the perfect boot for your foor include LaSportiva, Hanwag (Lathrop and Sons), Kayland (I have a pair of Contact Revs and like them a lot), Meindl and Zamberlan.

Drhorsepower
08-14-2011, 12:45 AM
I sport la sportiva glaciers. Great ankle support. I love em. I am partial to them because that is what I used when I was paid to hike. There are alot of great boots out on the market now adays.

coyhuntermn
06-21-2012, 08:37 PM
dont go with the pinicals if waterproofness is important to you I have two pairs thought they were great till last fall they got soaked just walking thru wet grass. They are very comfortable but they are not normal gortex it is their scent control version not sure if it was that or stitching but we had wet feet every day.

BobT
06-23-2012, 12:45 AM
I just got a pair of Danner RAT boots, so far they are working out okay. I needed something a little more resistant to prickly pear thorns than my cordura Lacross boots.

meathunter
06-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I used to buy cheap boots and after 1 day of hunting, my feet were sore and made the other days unbearable.

Then tried Danner boots, they fit the best for me right out of the box, not much break in needed, 1st pair were Danner Pronghorns, now Danner GTX 400 grain thinsulate. Waterproof 8" boots. Can't go wrong with these worth every bit.