PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Angle Photo's

Montana
03-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Does anyone have tips how to take quality pictures of animals (harvested) when you are at an extreme angle/very steep mountain? I have struggled with this forever, and I take pictures to almost an annoying level for those hunting with me. But I absolutely LOVE field photo's.

Any help is appreciated... Examples of some pics would be nice too...

Ikeepitcold
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
You can See Guy holding the rope that goes passed his thigh to my buddy behind him with the rope wraped around his waist

the other pic you can see the rope under my right elbow. We were able to get him turned alittle better and used his leggs to keep him from rolling.

I will post a couple pics of my Elk that was at such a steep angle we had to tie a rope onto one of the horns and have a guy hold him while we took pics and quartered him. I think the best results are to angle the animal with it's head facing uphill 1/4 away from the camera. this will help keeping the animal from rolling down the hill more. Also we had to put rocks under his belly and chest to keep his legs under himself. I think that the camera should be positioned a bit further away and below center slightly or above center slightly to get a better shot of yourself with the animal. Just my opinion that has worked for me.

Montana
03-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Pretty good... I like the rope idea and it does serve a lot of purpose too while cleaning. Be sure to post the other pics, I'll watch out for them. Thanks....

Bitterroot Bulls
03-06-2012, 05:30 AM
I had to make a shelf out of scree rock to hold this guy on the mountain for the pic:

Grizz
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm with Bitterroot on this one. On Kodiak it was difficult to keep those early season high country bucks from tumbling and equally difficult to find a place to take a pic. I used a short legged tripod... there are lots of options for this now. And as Bitterroot did in his photo, I went as far as building ledges. The best one was a buck that died just above an old brown bear den and so I just propped him up on the lip of earth the brownie had excavated in the hillside. All these are old pics and none taken with a digital so I can't upload them without a scanner and I'm not that techy! Sorry.

Montana
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone... All very good tips. I just watch a Swaro hunting show and they shot a stag on a steep hill. Looks like I'm not the only person that has a hard time with this :)

25contender
05-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I had to make a shelf out of scree rock to hold this guy on the mountain for the pic:

That's a great photo!!

Fink
05-24-2013, 07:54 AM

That picture is awesome.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks!

The Eastmans were kind enough to give me a backpack for that pic.

Umpqua Hunter
05-24-2013, 10:03 AM
That is a great pic BB! My recommendation in steep terrain is to do exactly what BB did in his pic, and that is to stay at the same elevation as the animal, or just very SLIGHTLY uphill or down hill from it and shoot your photo from that angle.

Muleys 24/7
05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Yea , awesome pic! and beautiful county

buckbull
05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
I wish i had this problem more often.

tommyp
05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I wish i had this problem more often.

we all need to have that issue each fall!

Omarion33
09-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Hi friends very excellent i like the string concept and it does provide a lot of objective too while washing. Be sure to publish the other photos, I'll observe out for them. Thanks....