PDA

View Full Version : Colorado High Country Muley's

nvarcher
03-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Man I've been seeing all these big deer taken in beautiful country, and I am starting to get very interested in a back country Muley with my bow in Colorado. Anyone got any starting points for a fairly easy to draw (1-2 pts) archery mule deer tag with access to country above treeline?

Musket Man
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Many of the wilderness areas offer this type of hunt and decent draw odds for archery. I went last year with muzzle loader. Great hunt even though I didnt get a deer. The colorado MRS in the next EBJ would be a great place to start.

buckbull
03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
The colorado mrs is now available online on this website. I downloaded it yesterday.

Musket Man
03-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Im still waiting by my mail box. Like to do it the old fashion way! lol

Vanish
03-22-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about doing this even as a resident. I archery hunted elk last year and the seasons nearly coincide. For the time being, there's no way I would give up the elk hunting to go for mulies even though it sounds like an awesome hunt. There's also no way for me to take multiple weeks off. I don't know how some of you guys do it and maintain a job.

Throw in trying to draw tags (my elk unit is a 1 point minimum for deer, sadly) and I just get frustrated. I just want to hunt! :D

Maybe I'll just stockpile points in all the species and in the future I'll be able to go on draw hunts each year for a different animal.

hoytnut
04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Take your pick. The west slope has a lot of great units that can be drawn from 0-2 points for archery. Do a little research - look at Google Earth and you will discover some areas that hold potential. In fact, there are many unheralded areas that can and do harbor some great deer. Good luck.