PDA

View Full Version : Otc ?

Timberstalker
03-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I think its time for me to start thinking about other states for a good mule deer. I'm not too big on waiting 5 to 10 years to go hunting, but if thats what i need to do I need to start. So what optoins are out there? I would like an area that has the potential for a good buck (170) or better. I would prefer a rifle hunt, but bow or smoke pole will work too. I'm not afraid of getting too far from the truck/camp either. My forecast is first hunt in 2014, is there anything out there for a DIY guy like me? Or do I need to start the points game? Not looking for honey holes, just suggestions.

BossBrott
03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Sounds kinda crazy when I say it, but CA has quite a few zones just south of you about 300 miles, where you can harvest 2 deer. You can buy A,B., and just about all D zones otc. Premium tags(x zones) apps are due by 6/2, 5pm. OTC tags can be purchased at any sporting store in the state, not bad.
Primarily blacktails on the western slope and muleys on the eastern slope, which are a pp draw. Some nice backtails in the b zones, all otc. Long seasons, liberal limits. Not many look at CA for hunting, but let me tell you, its worth a look.

Jon Boy
03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Idaho, some units in colorado require few points and offer great trophy potential, MT is just about an OTC general tag these days and offers good hunting.

Drhorsepower
03-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Sounds kinda crazy when I say it, but CA has quite a few zones just south of you about 300 miles, where you can harvest 2 deer. You can buy A,B., and just about all D zones otc. Premium tags(x zones) apps are due by 6/2, 5pm. OTC tags can be purchased at any sporting store in the state, not bad.
Primarily blacktails on the western slope and muleys on the eastern slope, which are a pp draw. Some nice backtails in the b zones, all otc. Long seasons, liberal limits. Not many look at CA for hunting, but let me tell you, its worth a look.

Boss!!! Your giving away secrets!!!! There isn't ANY deer in California people! Move on, nothing to see here!

beav906
03-09-2012, 12:31 AM
B zone used to be good. Way over hunted. Didn't help when the media found out about the marbles and trinity alps and printed them as the top blacktail areas. you dont see a tenth of the deer you did ten years ago and it was low then. Trophy quality is non existent. Lots and lots of predators. Washington seems to have good opportunity

BOHNTR
03-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Trophy quality is non existent.

Oooookay. :)

Timberstalker
03-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Dont worry, I'm not going to Cali. I can hunt blacktail within 2 hrs from home OTC. I've been hunting Blacktail for 30 years, I'm a little burned out hunting those ghosts. I've never killed a really nice Mule Deer and the oportunities in Oregon are few and far between.

Wyohunter
03-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I think its time for me to start thinking about other states for a good mule deer. I'm not too big on waiting 5 to 10 years to go hunting, but if thats what i need to do I need to start. So what optoins are out there? I would like an area that has the potential for a good buck (170) or better. I would prefer a rifle hunt, but bow or smoke pole will work too. I'm not afraid of getting too far from the truck/camp either. My forecast is first hunt in 2014, is there anything out there for a DIY guy like me? Or do I need to start the points game? Not looking for honey holes, just suggestions.

Personally I think building up preference points and then drawing a tag in a hard to draw area is going to be the best option if you were wanting to take a trophy class deer. The OTC areas tend to have a lower number of trophy deer and theses areas seem to be a little over hunted. The trophy deer are in the OTC counter areas but they seem to be feww and far between. Limited draw areas have more good bucks and you could probably pass over quite a few bucks and find a really good one.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I've brought it up before, Timberstalker, but some of the best deer killed in MT are killed in general areas.

Something to think about.

Wyohunter
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I've brought it up before, Timberstalker, but some of the best deer killed in MT are killed in general areas.

Something to think about.

I agree that some of the best deer killed are in general areas, I have seen some really big deer come out of the area I hunt. Most of the big ones that I have seen have been taken on or at least near private land. The opportunity to kill a really good buck in general areas is there but you either have to pay a pretty significant trespass fee or an outfitter to get the best oppotunities to get them. I guess it all depends on the area a person would choose to hunt in.

BossBrott
03-09-2012, 05:02 PM
What units would be considered "general" in Colorado? Meaning a tag that requires little or no points, but a decent chance at having some luck.

tommyp
03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
get you a point this year in colorado, wyoming, and montana. look at Arizona for OTC archery mule deer you can hunt January, August, and December.

bigshot
03-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Utah is also a decent state to hunt and obtain a general tag. I have seen and missed some dandies in the central and southern units.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-10-2012, 07:12 AM
I agree that some of the best deer killed are in general areas, I have seen some really big deer come out of the area I hunt. Most of the big ones that I have seen have been taken on or at least near private land. The opportunity to kill a really good buck in general areas is there but you either have to pay a pretty significant trespass fee or an outfitter to get the best oppotunities to get them. I guess it all depends on the area a person would choose to hunt in.

All of my biggest deer came from general area, public land units in MT. There are also some good deer on 100% draw areas on public land.

Colorado Cowboy
03-10-2012, 08:34 AM
What units would be considered "general" in Colorado? Meaning a tag that requires little or no points, but a decent chance at having some luck.

Generally Colorado has 5 or 6 deer seasons....Archery, ML and 3 or 4 rifle seasons. Obviously the best units will require points. Check out the Colorado Parks & Wildlife web site for details of units and points necessary. I'll quote the 2012 Hunting booklet.."All deer licenses are limited and available ONLY through the draw ..." So there you have it.

Timberstalker
03-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. Its good the hear that theres still some opportunities out there for a guy like me. I have a couple years before I will get to go out of state, so I will start researching this year. Let me know if any of you want to travel west to hunt a Blacktail, theres still some nice bucks to be had. They are getting harder to find though, lack of logging has changed things alot where I have always hunted. But I still have a few sweet spots!

Wyohunter
03-10-2012, 02:58 PM
All of my biggest deer came from general area, public land units in MT. There are also some good deer on 100% draw areas on public land.

Bitteroot I do not doubt what you say and congradulations on your success. I have taken some decent deer on public land general areas myself. I just think that a hunter would have better opportunities to shoot a BC quality mule deer (or a least close to) in a limited quota area. This is just an opinion that may be shared by quite a few more people.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to come across like I was arguing with you, Wyohunter, I wasn't.

My point was that even though MT has some great tough-to-draw units, there are places in both states where the DIY hunter of more modest means can get it done. In fact the majority of B&C heads to come out of MT in the last 20 years came out of general areas and public land.

Wyoming is different, I think, because most of the public backcountry outside of regions G and H is wilderness, and non-resident DIY hunters are out of luck in there.

TImberstalkers stated goal of a 170 plus deer is more than doable on Public Land and General Areas in MT.

Wyohunter
03-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to come across like I was arguing with you, Wyohunter, I wasn't.

My point was that even though MT has some great tough-to-draw units, there are places in both states where the DIY hunter of more modest means can get it done. In fact the majority of B&C heads to come out of MT in the last 20 years came out of general areas and public land.

Wyoming is different, I think, because most of the public backcountry outside of regions G and H is wilderness, and non-resident DIY hunters are out of luck in there.

TImberstalkers stated goal of a 170 plus deer is more than doable on Public Land and General Areas in MT.

Sorry bitteroot, I did not believe that any argument was taking place nor did I take any offense to the comments. It was just a slight differnece of opininion between two people who obviously love hunting and the outdoors. If given the choice I would try to obtain a limited quota tag, if that were not possible I would then most likely get a general tag. Again I took no offense and was just stating what I felt would be the best opportunity to take a good mule deer.

Conrad8899
03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
MT or Wy general tags. And build sum preferece for Wy or Co. Or both. Just a sugestion...

In God We Trust
04-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Timberstalker, considering you are looking at 2014 for a hunt you can obtain 2 points for both Colorado and Wyoming before you draw a tag. Colorado is a little pricey because you have to send in the price of the tag just to get a point each year. You do get all but 45 dollars of it back. Wyoming sells points starting in June for $35.00. If you have 2 points you should be able to draw a good unit for a DIY hunt in either of these states.

Ikeepitcold
04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I know there are some good areas in Id that are OTC. I used to have some good spots for them but the last time I went they seem to have vanished along with the Elk too. I would really consider Mt. Also Co can be drawn with low points and holds some great bucks.