PDA

View Full Version : Rust Protection for Rifles

bigshot
03-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Just curious what everyone is using to protect their rifles/guns against rust. Especially, when hunting in cold rainy weather. I've been using a product called Barricade, its a silicone spray that leaves a thin film on the metals for protection against rust and leaves the action buttery smooth. I simply spray the whole action, barrel and bolt, (Soak it) and wipe the excess with a dry cloth. I also do a light wipe down on all metal surfaces after each cleaning. I have not had any problems during extreme cold weather with firing pins freezing up. Rust has now been obsolete.

My buddy used a different product on his rifle and experienced a sticky firing pin this last year. It almost cost him a nice buck. The pin loosened enough after the fourth try and fired the primer.

I buy this stuff by the case!!

Drhorsepower
03-10-2012, 01:14 AM
I use a thin coat of remoil. That is all. I make sure to dry my weapon and case out when I get home as well. I have tried the rem dry oil stuff with Teflon, I finally threw the can away. I have not had good luck with that stuff with multiple attempts.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-10-2012, 08:09 AM
+1 on the Rem Oil.

MOHunter
03-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I use Barricade and have been very pleased with it. It also seems to remove any remaining surface rust that's hard to see.

I use RemOil in the barrel.

Muleys 24/7
03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
My old blued rifle I used a thin coat of rem oil as well, I don't have to worry about that any more ever since I bought my stainless weatherby. I've hunted in down poor thunder storms and mild snow storms and havn't had any signs of rust, I just do the average cleaning or two for the season and thats it.

Whisky
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Stainless steel.....or Krylon!!:) Not much on babying my rifles.

FrontierMuzzleloading
03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
for my stainless steel guns i use RIG + P. AMAZING stuff!