PDA

View Full Version : NM archery elk application in!!!

spotnstalk1
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
I just finished applying for the NM archery elk hunt. I applied myself and my old man. Hopefully one of us can draw something. Who else is applying to hunt archery elk in NM??

dustyboots
03-11-2012, 12:40 AM
I'll be putting in again this year

Fink
03-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Put mine in a few weeks back! I figured I'd let them borrow my money for a little while longer...

HuskyMusky
03-11-2012, 07:51 PM
not this year.

NoMoreOldNo7
03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
If any of you draw unit 45 send me a PM, I hunted there last year in the last rifle hunt and was there the second week of archery for scouting. Next time I try for a NM Elk hunt and I list unit 45 as a third choice I think I would go for either a muzzleloader hunt or a archery tag. One thing I didn't realize last year was opening day of our elk hunt was opening day of deer season also. That added quite a few more hunters out in the woods, plus the weather didn't cooporate until the last day. Oh well thats elk hunting. Hopefully I'll fair better in Wyoming this year.

Zim
03-11-2012, 10:31 PM
No7 so you're not applying this year? I still haven't decided. I was going to do archery unit 45 3rd choice again but my buddy couldn't go due to family stuff.

NoMoreOldNo7
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Hey Zim, I already drew an elk tag in the Big Horns in Wyoming. Should draw an antelope tag just before that hunt, so NM will have to wait til 2013

Fink
03-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I selected unit 45 1st season archery as my 3rd choice.. Did 52 and 51 as my first and second choice, all first season archery. We were limited in what times we could go, and these seemed to offer the best odds. If we draw, I'd love to pick somebodies brain, as that is going to be a monster drive for a 3-4 day scouting trip.

Doe Nob
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I got some of them done this weekend - ORX, IBX, BHS and DER.

We want in the guided pool for the rifle elk draw, still trying to decide who to go with there...

I'll tell you one thing, with all these changes landowner tag inflation is home to roost for sure. Some of the 16's are going for $7500 for a landowner tag! (Insert puking smiley.)

Zim
03-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Hey Zim, I already drew an elk tag in the Big Horns in Wyoming. Should draw an antelope tag just before that hunt, so NM will have to wait til 2013

Ok that's nice. Good to know early to plan these other apps. Never happened to me yet. Did you have max points? I think some of those Big Horn units are getting drawn with less than max now. We applied for 38 a couple times, then switched to the southern units, where the draw odds all sucked the year's we applied, including this year. I believe we can draw 38 now any time if we want it. I think it might be a more fun hunt anyway. Those southern deserty units don't look appealing.

Where are you going lope hunting? I've been undecisive this year on WY, NM & CO. And the WY deadline is in 2 days. Gotta do sumthin.

NoMoreOldNo7
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey Zim, I drew my unit 38 elk tag with 4 points and a regular tag. According to MRS I had a 62% chance of drawing looking at last years numbers, so either I got lucky or there are fewer people applying this year. Looking forward to the hunt, my first time in the Big Horns.

As for Antelope, I have 4 points there as well but purchased a special tag and applied in unit 67. According to last years numbers (from that handy MRS section I should be locked into a tag). Let me know where you apply for, I would be gald to pass along any info I have, after all you helped me out last year.

dhershberger
03-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Crossing my fingers and hoping to draw a 16D rifle tag.

jay
03-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I'll be trying for black powder again this season...got my deer and elk in, still have a couple more to get in before the 28th. Good luck guys!

Zim
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey Zim, I drew my unit 38 elk tag with 4 points and a regular tag. According to MRS I had a 62% chance of drawing looking at last years numbers, so either I got lucky or there are fewer people applying this year. Looking forward to the hunt, my first time in the Big Horns.

As for Antelope, I have 4 points there as well but purchased a special tag and applied in unit 67. According to last years numbers (from that handy MRS section I should be locked into a tag). Let me know where you apply for, I would be gald to pass along any info I have, after all you helped me out last year.

That's nice. I'd really like to bowhunt those Bighorns. So your tag is for rifle? I forgot how 38 works. I think you will have a slammer trip. I had a mule deer hunt near there Custer Nat'l Forest Montana and that habitat is really awesome. Not too rough, but good enough to get away from some less fit. Seen some very nice bulls come out of there. I wish we'd burned our points there earlier. Now we are chasing other units with bad odds and likely not much better bulls. Good value for 4 points.

brooks
03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I put in for NM. I have hunted NM alot over the years but this year I needed to call the G&F dept to ask a question and got to talking with the guy a little...I didn't realize that all the non res and res apps. that want to hunt with an outfitter come out of the same 10% outfitter draw pool. Going to be pretty diffacult to draw a tag and hunt with an outfitter in NM. Going to be hard to draw any nonres tag in NM .

Zim
03-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Waited til the last day but I'm in. The NM website was surprisingly smooth for last day app. Hell it used to crash & burn under pressure. Not a flinch today. Still debating pronghorn. Picked 3 poor archery elk units but still not likely to draw.

NM_Archer
03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Applied for unit 15 Archery again, Hopefully get lucky this yr and finallly draw a good tag! haha