PDA

View Full Version : colorado units 69/84

gator7275
03-13-2012, 06:33 AM
muzzleload hunting these units this year has anyone got any info that could be usefull I sure would appreciate it

gator7275
03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
wow guys im not asking for your honey holes just some general info

Old Hunter
03-17-2012, 11:30 AM
What info are you looking for that can't be found on the DOW web site?

gator7275
03-18-2012, 06:56 AM
just wondering how the hunting is their what is terrain like is a lot of elk their has is the hunting pressure real bad etc.

Old Hunter
03-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Ok, I was trying to get you to ask more specific questions. I haven't hunted those units, and i'm sure those who have will help you. However, I can help some. About 80% of what you're asking can be found on the DOW site. They really do want to help you. You can see how many hunter hunted the unit, and what was killed. That will give you a general idea how crowded it is. You can see how many tags were offered, and how many applied and got what tags. There's a general description of the area in print, and then that have maps of every unit with the summer, winter range, and even the corridors when they move. Plus much much more info to help you. They even have an Elk Hunting University.

There is one more thing you can do that very few even thinking about doing. Call up the DOW and ask them for the phone number of the warden for the units you want to hunt. Call them up and they'll give you more info about the unit than any hunter will. They'll tell you the good and bad areas to hunt. I've become good friends with my local warden, and he's always willing to help out.

Part of hunting is research. Now, get at it!

gator7275
03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
thank you very much old hunter I'm on it .

buckbull
03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the forums gator. I'm from Illinois also, just east of St. Louis. How are you guys coping with the tornado damage?

gator7275
03-19-2012, 07:07 AM
the town is getting cleaned up quit quickly and the housing sales have picked up for obvios reasons but we have all pulled together and pushed on thank the lord he has a strong presence here and helps us thru
thanks for asking

sjsmallfield
03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Also try getting ahold of the biologist for the area. We contacted the biologist for the area we hunted in WY and he was a huge help on narrowing down the areas we hunted. He also gave us the best idea of the time of season to hunt when there were less hunters in the field. I would also recomend having a good map in hand when you talk to both the warden and the biologist. I purchased a hunt area map from mytopo.com and marked areas while I was on the phone with him. Good luck!