PDA

View Full Version : Nevada online big game application

Ikeepitcold
03-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Online application opens March 19 for big game. Good luck to everyone!!!

Musket Man
03-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I have a question about Nevada. As a nonresident if and when I draw a tag when would I pay for the tag? Is there a set time to pay for it by like in Idaho or do they charge your card as soon as you are drawn?

Drhorsepower
03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
As soon as you are drawn.

HuskyMusky
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
don't forget the non-res hunting license is mandatory just to apply for a tag/points, $142 non-refundable.

Musket Man
03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys! I been applying/buying points for the last 2 years. I was just never clear on when you would pay for the tag. Nv is my 'dream state' and im applying for harder to draw tags and rolling the dice so it may be a while before I get to hunt there.

HuskyMusky
03-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys! I been applying/buying points for the last 2 years. I was just never clear on when you would pay for the tag. Nv is my 'dream state' and im applying for harder to draw tags and rolling the dice so it may be a while before I get to hunt there.

dream state, reminds me of the first 2 tags/states I ever applied for, MT and NV were those, MT sheep and NV elk, randy ulmer had just taken a 400" elk and was in some article I read, a gorgeous 7x7. I hear elk quality has slipped but hopefully great days will be back in a few years or so. a big NV antelope is also on the list, may happen before that NV elk hunt.

hardstalk
03-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Counting down the days. Areas are picked for all species for both my wife and I she only wants to hunt deer this year but of course ill get bonus points for her for all species. What she doesn't know won't hurt her :)

HuskyMusky
03-15-2012, 10:19 PM
maybe because I'm an out of stater, I almost always wait tilt he last minute, when financing $1000 on the ole credit card I figure why let them hang onto my CC any longer than absolutely necessary.

Ikeepitcold
03-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Well I'm here to tell you the Elk herd is strong and a 350" bull in the rite area almost will happen. The Antelope hunting through out our state is also very good. We don't have the numbers as other states like Wy. but the quality for all game is stellar. I find it strange that there is not more talk about Nv on the forums. I assume it's due to the hard to draw tags. Nv is a awesome state to live in and when we draw tags it's a big deal. If you guys draw elk or want to PM me and I'll give you some areas to try and draw.

Musket Man
03-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks Ikeepitcold! After I get the mrs and go over it Ill pm you the units im thinking about.
One thing I like about NV is even in the real hard to draw units you always have some chance to draw.

Zim
03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I drew an elk tag in 07 and got a 350 7/8" P&Y. What is the waiting period there? 5 or 10 years? Will be trying to cash my other points this year. Got 13 now so my sheep odds are up to .0002%.

HuskyMusky
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Nevada has probably the greatest tag system. Love their tag fees, most are a 10x multiple, ie a resident has to pay $120, a non-res $1200.

$60 resident antelope, $300 non-res. (5x multiple)

states take notice and mimic!

I think they understand residents are willing to pay a fair price for a once in a lifetime tag while not soaking non-res with the bill. ie a res can pay $120 for a goat/sheep, while a non-res pays $1200, neither are un-reasonable at all! vs. other states charging IMO any resident less than $100 for a once in a lifetime sheep/goat tag is absurd.

Prime example of why all states need to goto a 5x-10x multiple ratio, and simply squaring bonus points is the best for all, gives the guy with 1 pts a chance, while giving the guy with 20pts....400 pits/chances! and more than likely the tag will goto higher points holders.

Quality game, great system, fairest fees, what's not to love? I say let's keep it our lil secret....ssssshhhhhh ;) haha.

and not all states are the same, so some variation is needed of course, ie if you have 500k elk vs. 20k elk.

Drhorsepower
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Good luck everyone! I'm friggin jacked! Application season is almost as fun as finding out if you drew, finding out if you drew is almost as fun as hunting!

Ikeepitcold
03-16-2012, 04:05 PM
I think it's gonna be a good horn growth year. Very mild winter and now we are finally getting some good precipitation, good be THE year to get a NV tag. Should be some awesome groceries out there for the critters to much on.

Drhorsepower
03-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't think we will have much winterkill! Worried about moisture though.

Ikeepitcold
03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't think we will have much winterkill! Worried about moisture though.

If these storms keep up it should be ok. Remember all the Resivors are already at capacity and the few springs I've seen lately are full to. I guess it depends on how hot the summer will be but it only hit 100 one day last year

Musket Man
03-16-2012, 11:16 PM
NV seems to do a good job of managing their game and they are producing some great animals as a result. I dont mind waiting in a long line for the chance at a great hunt. 1200 is alot for an elk tag in some ways but really its not bad at all for the trophy potential they havein NV.

Drhorsepower
03-17-2012, 12:18 AM
NV seems to do a good job of managing their game and they are producing some great animals as a result. I dont mind waiting in a long line for the chance at a great hunt. 1200 is alot for an elk tag in some ways but really its not bad at all for the trophy potential they havein NV.

IMO they are managing for elk numbers and letting mule deer numbers hurt. What they tried to do last year is a good example. That is my opinion. Elk hunting is great though:) can wait to draw that tag!

Musket Man
03-17-2012, 12:38 AM
IMO they are managing for elk numbers and letting mule deer numbers hurt. What they tried to do last year is a good example. That is my opinion. Elk hunting is great though:) can wait to draw that tag!

I was mostly referring to the elk. But I have seen some nice deer and antelope from NV as well! Just seems like they manage more for quality then quanity then alot of states do from what I have read but I have never hunted there yet.

hardstalk
03-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Imo its not the states job to manage for quality as much as it is the hunters responsibility. If the state focuses on quantity its the sportsmans job to focus on quality. Forkys don't get to be smart brutes if there taken by a part time road hunter Just their to fill a tag. I personally feel nv has been a bit rough on the deer herds the past several years by upping the numbers but I'm hoping their new tags (silver state) and raffle tags they have implemented make up for the reason behind the tag number jump.

HuskyMusky
03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_west.htm

every time I check it's a drought... perhaps moisture will change things, mild winter+moisture would be awesome, but if drought continues, would be a bad year I think.

Ikeepitcold
03-17-2012, 03:51 PM
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_west.htm

every time I check it's a drought... perhaps moisture will change things, mild winter+moisture would be awesome, but if drought continues, would be a bad year I think.

We were officially out if the drought last year. But I agree if we don't get good snow pack it won't take long to be rite back in one again

Musket Man
03-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Imo its not the states job to manage for quality as much as it is the hunters responsibility. If the state focuses on quantity its the sportsmans job to focus on quality. Forkys don't get to be smart brutes if there taken by a part time road hunter Just their to fill a tag. I personally feel nv has been a bit rough on the deer herds the past several years by upping the numbers but I'm hoping their new tags (silver state) and raffle tags they have implemented make up for the reason behind the tag number jump.

Not saying i disagree with you but there are tomany hunters that just want to shoot the first legal deer they see. I wish more states would put in more 3 and 4 point minimums in more areas.

graybird
03-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I guess I don't see a problem with a hunter wanting to fill his/her tag with a freezer filler. Everyone has a different approach to their hunting objectives just the same as we may hunt differently. It's their tag, who am I to say how they are to fill it.

hardstalk
03-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Not saying i disagree with you but there are tomany hunters that just want to shoot the first legal deer they see. I wish more states would put in more 3 and 4 point minimums in more areas.

I would love to see that happen it wouldn't have to happen state wide but every state could have their own "strip" if this were implemented. Just a couple of units managed by state and sportsman alike with an age goal in mind for harvest.

HuskyMusky
03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
it would be interesting to see a checker board of management with say white squares being trophy squares and black squares being for quantity.

I recently read that 4 units in CO for elk are managed for trophy elk, no surprise those are the toughest to draw!

as to point restrictions, I'd rather see a guy shoot a spike bull than a 3x3 or 4x4, a 3 or 4yo bull is much closer to being a big bull than a 1yo is.

Also when a guy can't shoot a management bull, ie an older bull with only a 3x3 or 4x4 frame then you're encouraging inferior genetics.

oh well this mystery will probably never be solved/fixed in my lifetime, so all a trophy hunter can do is hunt quality areas/units, wait for tags and hunt hard when they have that chance, or pass inferior bulls in their opinion.

I hate the term "if i don't shoot it my neighbor will, or someone else will" well if you shoot a small bull then certainly it won't make it til next year. and why would any hunter let another hunter influence their decision whether or not a bull is big enough.

If I want a 6x6, and I see a 5x5 I know another hunter would gladly shoot, that doesn't make me want to shoot a 5x5 any more. I'd rather pass on that 5x5 and let anther hunter who would love a 5x5 take him, than to take a 5x5 because someone else would and be disappointed it was a 5x5 and not a 6x6.

Never settle.