PDA

View Full Version : anyone using big bino's and tripod instead of spotting scope?

mcseal2
03-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Just curious if anyone was using the big binos and how they liked them. I am not sure how well it would work, but it would be less to carry using my Bogpod with the switcheroo head and a set of 15x45 zeiss or similiar binos. The obvious problem would be less magnification. I am currently set up to carry my spotting scope, tripod, and bipod for my rifle.

wolftalonID
03-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I have done this set up for three years now. However outside of camp, I dont recall using the tripod that I pack around! haha. Packing a spotting scope has just been to me redundant and extra weight and bulk. This year I am putting aside the tripod from the pack. Its a camp toy only.

shed
03-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I use one on some hunts and spotters with them at times. It depends where I am going and what I am buying. Some times they are great to have with you.

Wyoflightmedic
03-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Brunton 11x45 with tripod, it has worked good for me. Found bruntons online at great price.

squirrelduster
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I have the Vortex Kaibab 15x56 that I have used with a set of Stoney Point sticks and it works really well. I was at a friends house last year and he has a mountain about 2 or so miles away in back. We would sit there at first light looking for elk. He has a New Kowa scope with the fluorite lenses and the Vortex binos were much easier to sit behind for an hour or two in the morning.
The biggest difference is the field of view. The binoculars have twice the field. It is easier to see moving animals with a wider field. The drawback is assessing trophy quality at 15 power compared to 50 or 60 power. They have their place and to find animals the high power binocular is hard to beat.
I bought mine for Blacktail hunting and we sit and look across canyons early in the morning watching for bucks moving to bedding areas. The field of view is important for me because it is easy to miss an ear twitch or some other small movement. I watched a buck a couple years ago bedded by a manzanita bush for a couple hours and all I could see at first was an ear and one side of his rack.

coyhuntermn
07-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a set of 15 x 80 steiner senators and love them. Weight is about the same as a good spotter down side is the bulk. I had a leupold gold ring 15-40 before that and noticed that the mirage effect or low light killed the magnification the scope was useless above 25x most of the time I wanted to use it. The stieners can be held by hand this is what Secret Service uses and with both eyes open you can make up for less magnification and have a huge field of view. For my use they have been great with the increased field of view I think you spot more game and you don't get the eye fatigue. I have a pair of 8x32 Leupold rangfinder binos which I love also. Riflescope.com or SWFA.com they take trades you can get refurbished Steiners there very good service.