PDA

View Full Version : DIY aoudad hunts and units?

graybird
03-17-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm thinking of applying for a DIY aoudad hunt, but I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into, if I were lucky enough to draw.

Could anyone give me some helpful information regarding these hunts and the units they are in?

Thanks in advance!

Graybird

Musket Man
03-17-2012, 10:36 PM
There is another recent thread about aoudad hunting with some good info on it.

graybird
03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Guess I missed it. I saw the thread talking about TX hunting but not NM.

Ikeepitcold
03-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Guess I missed it. I saw the thread talking about TX hunting but not NM.

Ya there was one for sure about NM. I looked for it to but couldn't find it.

graybird
03-18-2012, 08:50 PM
I did a search as well and it only pulled up 3 threads, one of which was this one.

Jeremy
04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
It's easy to draw the tag but not so easy to harvest if you haven't spent much time there. Everyone, including myself, are pretty tight lipped about the good public spots. PM me and I can narrow your search into a few good units.

Jeremy
08-23-2012, 09:01 AM
The Glass Mountains and Palo Dura Canyon both of West Texas is some of the best. There are a few other good areas, all are in West Texas. 99.9% of it is all private. I personally don't hunt sheep in Texas, it's way cheaper in NM. I have killed all of mine in NM.

Oh and that link you listed above for Texas Aoudad......that is one of those chicken sh*t high fenced operations. If you have ever done it the right way you know how much BS that is.

Vanish
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I kind of wonder if robinhudda's post above is some sort of masked advertisement for that place.

mnhunter
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Or a computer virus. "taxas"??

Jeremy
08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I kind of wonder if robinhudda's post above is some sort of masked advertisement for that place.

I believe you are correct. That place looks like a joke.

fenella_stanley
11-09-2012, 11:56 PM
I agree with jeremy that it is quite easy to draw the tag but it is not easy to harvest when one has not spent much time there. So, it will be imperative to spend some time on researching which will surely help.

aoudad hunting (http://www.star-s-ranch.com/aoudad-hunting.php)

Shane13
11-10-2012, 12:33 AM
My dad and my son and I drew an archery aoudad hunt at Devil's River in Texas. We're supposed to be there right now, but my dad had a heart attack a couple weeks ago, and my son had a football game tonight. We had to miss the hunt. (Dad is doing great, but a rugged hunt right now wouldn't be the thing for him to do.) I'd really hoped on just getting another preference point for that hunt, but it didn't work that way. Figures.

Edelweiss
11-10-2012, 11:32 AM
There is a guy named mulie mike that post on a couple different forums. He has tresspass fee private land aoudad and mule deer hunts in West Texas for fairly cheap.

Under $2000.

Doe Nob
11-12-2012, 09:12 AM
My dad and my son and I drew an archery aoudad hunt at Devil's River in Texas. We're supposed to be there right now, but my dad had a heart attack a couple weeks ago, and my son had a football game tonight. We had to miss the hunt. (Dad is doing great, but a rugged hunt right now wouldn't be the thing for him to do.) I'd really hoped on just getting another preference point for that hunt, but it didn't work that way. Figures.

I drew the rifle hunt there several years ago. Never saw a ram in my compartment, killed an old ewe. Archery hunting some of that stuff would be next to impossible unless the weather conditions were ideal, and even then difficult. I hunted hard for 2 days before even seeing anything.

Shane13
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I drew the rifle hunt there several years ago. Never saw a ram in my compartment, killed an old ewe. Archery hunting some of that stuff would be next to impossible unless the weather conditions were ideal, and even then difficult. I hunted hard for 2 days before even seeing anything.

It would be a very tough hunt for sure. I talked to one of the biologists, and he said that one guy last year killed four aoudad - including a pretty good ram. He found a trail they were using to go to the river to drink and just found a good hiding spot next to it. He kept shooting as they went by. That turned into some serious work, I imagine. :D

Doe Nob
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Yes and no, since they are exotics the managers don't really care if you recover any or all of the animals. A big ram can get over 300 lbs and auodad are near the bottom of the list of barely edible. They told me in not so many words I could shoot them and leave them lay if I wanted to.

pseshooter300
11-13-2012, 11:16 AM
I think mulie mike charges a tresspass fee to hunt check him out

Shane13
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes and no, since they are exotics the managers don't really care if you recover any or all of the animals. A big ram can get over 300 lbs and auodad are near the bottom of the list of barely edible. They told me in not so many words I could shoot them and leave them lay if I wanted to.

Wow. Every draw hunt I've been on, they always require you to bring everything you shoot back to the check station - hogs included. I grew up hunting them in the Panhandle. We ran cattle on a big ranch on the Caprock. The canyons were full of them. I've had aoudad cooked every way imaginable, and it's horrible table fare. I've eaten young ewe to old ram. It's just different degrees of tough and nasty. Heck, I've seen carcasses rot, untouched by coyotes. :D The only reason to kill one is to mount it, IMO. I don't like to let meat go to waste, but aoudad is one animal I won't eat. I hear people occasionally saying how they love it. More power to them. It's nasty. :D :D

I know TPWD would like to get rid of them since they are non-native. It would be hard to talk people into shooting them if they were required to eat all of them I guess.

fenella_stanley
11-16-2012, 03:53 AM
I know few places which are popular for aoudad hunting (http://www.star-s-ranch.com/aoudad-hunting.php) in Texas.