PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for back country?

amp713
03-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey guys Im trying to find a good lighter bag for the back country, I know you get what you pay for but im trying to not pay for one lined with gold. :p

I want a +20 bag or something close, that is low weight, durable, packs easy, and isnt to hard to care for. Just kinda fishing around for ideas!

Thanks!
AMP

Bitterroot Bulls
03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Mine isn't cheap, but it is very nice, very light, and you don't roll off your pad ...

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/zirkel20

Grantbvfd
Marmot hydrogen or helium are both great bags.

sjsmallfield
What's your price range?

Brocka
03-19-2012, 01:25 PM
I have the Kelty Cosmic 20 degree bag, It was reasonably affordable. I plan on getting a liner for as well. I am 5' 11" and I needed a Long.

http://www.kelty.com/p-457-cosmic-down-20.aspx

sjsmallfield
03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
I sell Kelty Cosmic 20* at the shop I work at. It has been probably our most popular bag in that price range. ($110)

Rob P
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Marmot helium. I got the long version brand new for $285 on ebay last year

tommyp
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I have a marmot helium.
I have a Kelty light year.
they are both great.

Graylight
03-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Be careful of budget bags... Their loft and fill power will likely cause you to suffer from cold spots and cold seams... If you are using a synthetic bag and you keep it rolled up, IT WILL crease and cause cold spots... This is not something you will want to deal with in a cold, wet, multi-day scenario... We use Western Mountaineering bags with 850 fill power down... A little pricey but worth a decade of use without a problem. Good luck in your quest...

EdD270
03-20-2012, 05:24 PM
there are so many quality sleeping bags on the market now it's hard to suggest any one over another. Down will be the lightest, but if you're going into some wet climate, a slightly heavier synthetic fill will be better.
Check out the websites for REI, CampMor, Mountain Equipment Co-op, and so on. Look at bags by REI, Kelty, Big Agnes, North Face, Marmot, and the list goes on and on. Find a bag that's in your price range, they're not cheap, and has the temp rating you want, about 10* below what you expect to encounter, and the least weight, get it and don't look back.
Yeah, common sense. But that's what it boils down to.

Ikeepitcold
03-20-2012, 05:48 PM
I like the Kelty myself. The price is good and will do the job

amp713
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Wow thanks guys i gotta go through all that now! I went to the sports expo in slc and have been catching up on everything around the house so Ill take a look and get back to you all!!!

(just didnt want to look like someone who was wasting your time)

amp713
03-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Ok so to answer a few questions and maybe give some more ideas.... 150 is probably the most i can spend, I want this for Archery season here in utah which is usually pretty warm. I'm thinkin a 20 degree bag because even if it gets a lil chilly i can layer up some in the bag versus packing a heavier bag. Im definately thinking a down bag, I use a light tent instead of a bivy so that helps with the moisture.. Thanks for the Kelty Cosmic idea it looks like a good bag might be one i keep an eye on!

Rob P
03-21-2012, 12:19 AM
for your price range you should look into a North Face Cat's Meow 20degree bag. It's a sythetic bag but still some what light weight at 2lbs 10 oz. A down bag of the higher quality power fills, I'm talking 800+, is lighter per cubic inch but those bags are all starting near $300 and up. When you start looking at down bags with 600 power fill the weight and cost becomes comparable to a synthetic bag. If I were limited in price to a 600 fill down bag I would just go synthetic. I have a North Face Snowshoe O degree bag and it's a great bag so I know the Cat's Meow is good too since they have the same features. you can probably find one on ebay for cheap

Bitterroot Bulls
03-21-2012, 08:23 AM
RobP gives good advice. If your budget is $150 and under, I would also look at quality synthetic fill bags. TNF Cat's Meow is the ... well, you know ... of synthetic bag values.

CoHiCntry
03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
You might try and find a place that sells demo bags or even lightly used? I bought a Big Agnes Pomer Hoit 0 degree from a place that sells demo stuff last year. It's a $500 bag and if I remember right I paid about half of that. The bag was in great condition and I saved a lot of money! The web site is www.wearbap.com from the home page click on deals on the left side and options to view demo stuff will come up.

Muleys 24/7
03-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Mine isn't cheap, but it is very nice, very light, and you don't roll off your pad ...

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/zirkel20

BB, do you use this bag in the winter.....or just summer and fall?

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
BB, do you use this bag in the winter.....or just summer and fall?

I use it for early season. It stays unzipped during the summer. When temps get down to under 20 I go with my 0 degree Kelty, but this year I will get a -20 synthetic BA. It is six pounds, but the horses will be carrying it. :)

I have been in the Zirkel down to around 15 without being chilled, and I am not a warm sleeper.

Muleys 24/7
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I use it for early season. It stays unzipped during the summer. When temps get down to under 20 I go with my 0 degree Kelty, but this year I will get a -20 synthetic BA. It is six pounds, but the horses will be carrying it. :)

I have been in the Zirkel down to around 15 without being chilled, and I am not a warm sleeper.

I was thinking of getting the BA Blackburn SL 0 degree.What do you think about this bag unzipped for the early season with no insulating pad?I'm trying to get away with only buying one bag for early and late?? It weighs 3# for the long..... Do you have to buy the pad to stay warm on the underside? If so which of their pads are best?

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 10:02 PM
BA bags require a pad. There is no insulation on the underside of the entire bag (rectangle bags) or torso (mummy bags). The Blackburn is a great bag, and ridiculously light for a 0 deg., but it would be too warm for me most of the time. I would think the Zirkel w/ a liner and/or cover would be more versatile. But that would be for me. If you are a really cold sleeper the Blackburn might be perfect.

Muleys 24/7
03-24-2012, 04:23 PM
BA bags require a pad. There is no insulation on the underside of the entire bag (rectangle bags) or torso (mummy bags). The Blackburn is a great bag, and ridiculously light for a 0 deg., but it would be too warm for me most of the time. I would think the Zirkel w/ a liner and/or cover would be more versatile. But that would be for me. If you are a really cold sleeper the Blackburn might be perfect.
What liner/cover are you talking about?

Bitterroot Bulls
03-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Lots of companies make liners and covers. I would think a Pertex or eVent (you would need one that breathes) bivy would add about 10 degrees of comfort, and a good liner would do that or more.

Here are some liner options:

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500057&search=Sleeping+Bag+Liners

Red 1
03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
I just bought a Stoic Vamp 15F Down bag, from Backcountry.com, pack weight is 2.9 pounds the reveiws were good and It was on sale for $143. It is still there if your interested. If you dont like it send it back money back - the shipping.

amp713
03-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Def still interested Red, Its still pretty chilly and until it gets warm Ill just be doing day trips or longdistance scouting and hiking back and staying in my camper/truck No need to get right on top of them and scare them off. Let me know how you like that one.... Also thanks for the info on the Cats meow bag!

Red 1
04-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Def still interested Red, Its still pretty chilly and until it gets warm Ill just be doing day trips or longdistance scouting and hiking back and staying in my camper/truck No need to get right on top of them and scare them off. Let me know how you like that one.... Also thanks for the info on the Cats meow bag!

Will do my scouting trips start here soon we have early seasons here in Cali.

Kevin Root
04-04-2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4iVjl6TBkcI

Seeing this today reminded me about this thread on the question of liners and sleeping bags. Boosting temperature ratings, sleeping bag options and it also adds as an emergency bivy. At 8.5 ounces this looks like a possible solution for some of these mentioned on the thread. Heat reflective, waterproof and breathable.

http://www.rei.com/product/832336/sol-escape-bivy

Brocka
04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Seeing this today reminded me about this thread on the question of liners and sleeping bags. Boosting temperature ratings, sleeping bag options and it also adds as an emergency bivy. At 8.5 ounces this looks like a possible solution for some of these mentioned on the thread. Heat reflective, waterproof and breathable.

Thanks! I just might have to invest in one of these, my biggest concern I have is keeping my down bag dry...This sounds like the perfect solution.

BKC
04-05-2012, 01:36 PM
amp713 check out the bags at Sierra trading post. I just got a flyer on an Alps 20 degree echo lake mummy bag. $49.95 or 57.95 depending on how long you need it.

twp1224
04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
I use a Big Agnes Horsethief (35 degree) bag in California archery season and if it gets cold i use a sleeping bag liner to increase the temp rating 15 degrees. I have not been cold. I found mine used at www.bwear.com for $89.00. Just keep watching their site and they have some great deals.

Jon Boy
04-20-2012, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4iVjl6TBkcI

I wonder if that would work well enough for the early season as your only shelter.

Kevin Root
04-20-2012, 04:39 PM
I wonder if that would work well enough for the early season as your only shelter.

I have not checked the product out yet in person. So, I'm not sure how durable it really is. They describe it as a lightweight emergency bivy, but if you protected it from the ground abrasion it should be ok I'd gather from the clip and what I read. Some of the SOL products are really meant for emergency and kind of delicate like the space blanket but this should be a lot more durable than that.

Doe Nob
07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Really good info on this thread, thanks guys. Just picked up a North Face Cat's Meow. If I need colder, I'll go thick down, but probably good to have a synthetic and a down bag around.