PDA

View Full Version : whats the best elk hunting boot

gator7275
03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
This my first yr elk hunting I'm going in mid september for muzzleloader and I'm wondering what all you guys reccomend for a good boot , Iloking at the 400 gram danner pronghorns

Brocka
03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Danner Pronghorns are excellent! I have the uninsulated version with a good synthetic sock and a good insole. Absolutely no complaints! There was a thread on this not to long ago, Good input from the guys on here.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php/2071-Lightweight-Hunting-Boots

Ikeepitcold
03-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Lowa Tibets. Danners are a good choice for the cost.

spotnstalk1
03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Love my Cabela's Outfitter boots for the price.

Old Hunter
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I love my Meindl Perfekt boots. Made in Germany for Cabelas. This is no bull. I bought them 6 years ago. I wear them 365 days a year. I scout the mountains 250 days a year ( i'm retired), plus my hunting, and daily wear. I'm still one the original soles. Even the original shoe laces. Which freaks me out. They have zero problems and are as solid and good looking as the day I bought them.
I wear them through 2 feet of snow while hiking for hours. I never get cold, and I never get wet. I've even wading with them in low water fly fishing when I didn't think i'd need waders.

Comfort is all you can ask for in boots. I went on a 10 mile hike when I first bought them, and they felt like been wearing them for a year. They needed no break in. It's the only boot I know off that endorsed by the American Podiatric Medical Association.

Take a look, and read the reviews.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Hunting-Boots/Mens-Insulated-Hunting-Boots%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104826780/i/104841180/CabelasPerfekt8482-1034-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/748348.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootw ear-mens-footwear-mens-hunting-boots-mens-insulated-hunting-boots%2F_%2FN-1102846%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104841180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 97980%253Bcat104826780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797980%3Bcat104826780%3Bcat104 841180

dcestnik
03-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Trying UA Speed Freaks with a pair of Cabelas Meindl Ultralights for late season this year.

buckbull
03-22-2012, 08:20 PM
gator,

You are within a half days drive of Lathrop and Sons in Robinson, IL. They are suppose to have very good boots, Hanwag I believe is the brand and they specialize in custom insoles. They are expensive and they have a website you can check out. Sheel's in Springfield, IL carry Kenetreks and some other high quality boots. There is an REI store here in st. louis that is supposed to have some good boots. It all depends on what you want to pay. I personally prefer Lowa's. You can also check out Zappo's website and order a few different pairs and simply mail back the pairs you do not want; return shipping is free I believe. Danner pronghorns are definately a good boot. Whatever you do, do not skimp on boots and skimp on something else. You should try on as many pairs as you can before committing. Blisters will ruin a hunt real fast.

Stringmusic
03-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Kenetreks with out a doubt!

jenbickel
03-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I second the Kenetreks!!!! I could live in mine.

But in reality, find something that is comfortable for you. I've noticed that a lot of people like one brand and others have complaints about that brand and so on... You are going to be the one hiking in then so do some research on some of the top brands and find which one makes your feet happy.

labman
03-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Lowas Tibets for me it all comes down to your preference. It made it tough for me because there was not a local vendor that carried any of these boots.

hvfd21walker
03-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Im gonna bite the bullet and go for the Lathrop and sons this year. I have went thru two pair of Kennetreks and sent both of them back. It might just be my foot but they rubbed half dollar size blisters on my heels. Thats even after I went thru there break in regimen. But I know people that have them and love them. I struggle with boots and hope I can find some that work for me.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 07:18 AM
hvfd,

Do you have a narrow heel. Kenetreks have a lot of heel room, and i tsounds like you are getting some heel slip. The Lathrops might be a good option for you. I also have blister problems due to my heel shape. The best boot I have found (no blisters!) is the Kayland Vertigo High.

hvfd21walker
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
BB I have a narrow heel and foot. I don't mind paying for a good boot. Kennetreks customer service t ook very good care of me. Where can I find those Kaylands at. Thanks for the help.

RUTTIN
03-23-2012, 07:50 AM
I just ordered a pair of the Danner Pronghorns from Lathrop and Sons, they are running a special on them with the synergy footbeds free. Can't wait till they get here to go look for turkeys!

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 07:56 AM
BB I have a narrow heel and foot. I don't mind paying for a good boot. Kennetreks customer service t ook very good care of me. Where can I find those Kaylands at. Thanks for the help.

Just Google them. I had to order mine online. Sometimes Sierra Trading post has them for very good prices. They fit true to size on the Euro sizes. Think of the US sizing as approximate.

bz_711
03-23-2012, 08:27 AM
It took me some time - and returning a few pairs of boots - to find the right ones. I ended up having my best luck at REI...their knowledgeable staff was best I've experienced and their 100% guarantee makes the purchase risk free. I now avoid most "hunting boots" and go right for the backpacking boots...settled on some Asolo - 2 seasons on them and still doing well.

Good Luck - and like most have said - boots are the one thing you want to get right - for mountain hunts, I feel they are more important than any other piece of gear.

03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I also have a narrow foot and heel. I have had great luck with my UA Ridge reepers so far. I put some superfit greens in them and I only got heel blisters on the first hike. Now no problems. The boots probably wont last a life time, but they are very light weight for how beefy they are, yet the boots are still nimble enough for stalking. Also without the upper laces cinched they hike fast and light. Im pretty impressed considering that they are a disposable boot.

gator7275
03-23-2012, 05:25 PM
thanks for all the help guys I mapquested lathrops it's only 2.5 hrs so I think I'm going to go their monday on my day off
Also I won a 10-20x40 leupold goldring compact spotting scope last night at our local qdma banquet cant wait to use it on my hunt

sjsmallfield
03-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Good choice going to Lathrops and nice score on the spotting scope. Congrats!

COElkFreak
04-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I like my Irish Setters, bought my first pair about years ago and now that is all I wear.

Matthoek21
04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I have tried Danner's before along with three of my buddies. They are good for hunting back east for whitetails but at least for us they are not the right boot for hiking mountains. We all had bad blisters. Bought a pair of Asolo's after that and they have been awesome. No Blisters! Have had these boots for about 8 years now. The soles are worn but they are still good boots. The guys at REI showed me different ways to lace them and I think that helped as well. May try that with whatever you buy.

Jeremy
04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Depends where you are hunting and what kind of conditions you are experiencing.

Colorado Cowboy
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
I wear Danners and Brownings. Use them all over the west. Best advice I have is get boots that FIT and break them in. When I bought my new Danners a year ago, I put my stretchers to work and then started wearing them on my daily walks of 4 to 5 miles. After a couple of weeks they are fine, and never had a blister. (my size is 9 1/2 EEE). I bought a good set of stretchers that I use on all my footwear (except workout shoes) before I wear them. Really helps.

My Brownings are about 20 years old and I have resoled them 3 times. Still comfortable, but not as waterproof as they once were.

MakinTracks
04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Just bought a pair of Kenetreks that I'm really anxious to get out for a break in hike. I also own a pair of LA Sportiva's that i absolutely love.

NorthT
07-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Have had good luck with Vasque breeze if dry. Danner 453 if looking at any wet conditions. The vasque are waterproof for like the first 10-15 miles. I have had 3 sets and all about the same, perfect boot if hot though.

Bughalli
07-26-2012, 12:00 AM
I bought a pair of the Kenetrek mountain extremes. I like the design and was surprised to see how much I like the taller tops. They make side-hill hiking easier and offer better support. On flat ground they feel great, but do some climbing and they destroy my heels. Massive blisters. They're stiff boots and I paid a lot for them, so I've been committed to breaking them in. I feel like there's no heel cup in the back. It's just flat. I've done probably 10-15 hikes with them this summer, often going double or triple layer thin socks. This last hike i covered my heel in moleskin and that helped. At first I would only last a mile or two with some steep climbing before the blisters started. Now I'm getting up to 5-6 miles, but certainly not without pain. I bought their weather sealer hoping that would soften them up, which it did a little. Still not good enough, especially if i expect to wear them for a full week of hunting. I read one review where someone said it took about 50 miles before they broke in. He wasn't kidding! I'm probably in that range so far. I'm now hoping they break in before elk hunting in Sept. Starting to consider getting a different brand as backup.

Now I know why when someone finds a brand that works for their feet they stick with it.

xtreme
07-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Cabelas Danner ELk Hunter non GTX are very well made but pretty heavy, 5lbs , Cabelas claims 4lbs.They have removable Airthotic in soles. Pronghorns weigh about 4lbs. Elk Ridge boots have Air-bob soles and lace all the way to the toe. They look good with jeans while grocery shopping in Chama

Huntinguy0120
07-27-2012, 11:14 AM
I have Danner Pronghorns and the Cabela Outfitters, the pronghorns are the better of the two IMO.. If you want to stay under the 150 range they are comfortable, durable, and keep my feet dry. I also have the Danner Hood Winter Lights ($199 range) and I feel the pronghorns are the best boot I own..

HuntPrep365
08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
My opinions on boots are a little different from what you'll hear from most hunting folks, but I hate Goretex in an early season-type boot (you don't wear your raingear all day, why wear it on your feet all day?). I think it makes your feet sweat more, and then keeps your boots from ever drying out. Skin is waterproof, after all.

My other tip is to at least consider the weight of your boots. A few more ounces on your boots add up fast - and can increase your fatigue factor and reduce your efficiency. My chosen boots this year (Ahnu Moraga Mesh Mid) weigh 18 ounces apiece, which I feel like is enough for stability/support yet still fairly light.

mnhunter
08-09-2012, 12:23 PM
For the most part I concur with HuntPrep365. In AFG, I wore a pair of ASOLO mid hiking boots on patrol with a much heavier load and on rougher terrain that most places I have hunted elk. The only thing to watch out for is a flimsy shank in the sole, it seams like this can lead to much quicker foot fatigue.

I am a pretty novice elk hunter, but on one trip to Colorado the first few days got close to 80 at 9500ft. Then one morning we woke up to 65 degree temps, by 5pm it was clouding up and by the next morning we had 24 inches of snow. I had uninsulated goretex Danner Pronghorns. I was able to keep hunting, had I been wearing my Asolos I would have been walking out 5 miles to get other boots.

Later in the season I like my Meindl Denalis.

jenbickel
08-09-2012, 02:02 PM
I bought a pair of the Kenetrek mountain extremes. I like the design and was surprised to see how much I like the taller tops. They make side-hill hiking easier and offer better support. On flat ground they feel great, but do some climbing and they destroy my heels. Massive blisters. They're stiff boots and I paid a lot for them, so I've been committed to breaking them in. I feel like there's no heel cup in the back. It's just flat. I've done probably 10-15 hikes with them this summer, often going double or triple layer thin socks. This last hike i covered my heel in moleskin and that helped. At first I would only last a mile or two with some steep climbing before the blisters started. Now I'm getting up to 5-6 miles, but certainly not without pain. I bought their weather sealer hoping that would soften them up, which it did a little. Still not good enough, especially if i expect to wear them for a full week of hunting. I read one review where someone said it took about 50 miles before they broke in. He wasn't kidding! I'm probably in that range so far. I'm now hoping they break in before elk hunting in Sept. Starting to consider getting a different brand as backup.

Now I know why when someone finds a brand that works for their feet they stick with it.

It took me a long time to break my Kenetreks in as well. They make an insole that you put in the microwave and then stuff in your boot and walk around for awhile and it conforms to your foot. It helps tremendously! Mine fit like a glove and I love them.

hoshour
08-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Love my Danner Pronghorns.

gator7275
08-14-2012, 12:38 PM
well thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it , Iended up buying a pair of hanwag moutain gtx boots from lathrops those guys are great to deal with and a lot of help after telling him i had some falling arch issues he recommended the hanwags due to the stiff sole and shank than the pronghorns so far i love them . Ive been wearing to the gym in the mornings for my 2 miles of cardio on the tread mill and weight training trying to get them broke in .