PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Riflescope showdown

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Here are the scopes I will be comparing side-by-side over the next few weeks.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mcashell/DSC03858.jpg

Drhorsepower
03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
I wish I had even one of those scopes bb. Let us know what is best!

Kevin Root
03-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Way cool Bitterroot Bulls. It will be interesting to hear about the showdown results between them.

packer58
03-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Hey BB,

Once you run these scopes through there paces and figure out which one you'll be using you can send me the other two. :eek:

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 06:15 PM
HA HA.

Sorry Packer, there are homes for all of them.

Muleys 24/7
03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Can't wait to see results. What will you be comparing on them? BDR and glass?

BKC
03-23-2012, 07:57 PM
I'll go with the leupold !

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM
It will be a comprehensive evaluation. I own and have been impressed with products from all of these companies so I will keep any brand loyalty prejudice to a minimum.

Tests will include:

Optical Performance:

1. Resolution.
2. Aberration control.
3. Brightness.

Mechanical performance:

1. Tracking.
2. Reticle subtension.
3. Reticle cant.
4. Maintaining zero.

Feature comparison.

03-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I want your job!!

Elkoholic307
03-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm thinking about getting a PST but with the EBR-1 MOA reticle instead. Looking forward to your comparison.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-23-2012, 09:17 PM
E307,

Any particular reason you would prefer the MOA?

Do you just find it easier to think in roughly IPHY?

I went for the MIL, because I liked the idea of the slightly coarser adjustments for drops.

Elkoholic307
03-24-2012, 01:08 AM
All of my stuff is already in MOA. It's how I prefer to hold for wind anyway.

Ikeepitcold
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Here are the scopes I will be comparing side-by-side over the next few weeks.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mcashell/DSC03858.jpg

Leupold will come out on top!

Whisky
03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I too predict the Leupold will come out on top. I'm still very interested in the results. I finally got my hands on a PST a week ago or so. Didn't get much of a feel for it because it was indoors and I was in a hurry. Someday I may have a SFP PST on a hunting rifle. Don't expect the glass to be of Mk4 quality, but overall good features for the price. Assuming it tracks, holds zero, etc...

gator7275
03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
u should also try the nikon monarch 5.5-20x42 bdc I bet its as good or better as the leupold

Bitterroot Bulls
03-28-2012, 03:43 PM
u should also try the nikon monarch 5.5-20x42 bdc I bet its as good or better as the leupold

Gator, I am not familiar with that model. Is it a discontinued model? I am familiar with the current model Monarch 5-20X44SF. While it is a serviceable scope, it really isn't a long range scope, with its simplified circle-BDC and limited (34 MOA) total internal adjustment.

So far, all of these scopes have strengths and weaknesses. I am taking careful notes.

gator7275
03-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Bitterfoot sorry my bad it is a 44mm you have the right model Im not sure what your are saying about the nikon have you visited the nikon spot on website it's quite good it allows you to plug in your bullet, caliber and velocity and wind and elevation etc and gives you a stat sheet for the bdc with my 7mm rem mag it pushed me out to 600+ yds

Edelweiss
03-30-2012, 06:55 AM
You need a CATS target from Horus Vision for the tracking test. You can build the same thing with a ruler and a marker, but the CATS makes it easier, and I think they are only $5 plus shipping for 3.

Edelweiss
03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Dialing using the turret is 1980s technology, man you should have went for a Mark 4 with a Horus.

A lot of folks cry about the Horus being too busy, but I am in love!

Bitterroot Bulls
03-30-2012, 08:41 AM
You need a CATS target from Horus Vision for the tracking test. You can build the same thing with a ruler and a marker, but the CATS makes it easier, and I think they are only $5 plus shipping for 3.

Thanks Edelweiss,

that looks like a really good option. I was going to make my own.

Dialing using the turret is 1980s technology, man you should have went for a Mark 4 with a Horus.

A lot of folks cry about the Horus being too busy, but I am in love!

Haha,

I have used Horus reticles a lot. they are certainly usefull, but I am one of those "too busy" guys.

The Swarovski BRH is a simplified Christmas Tree though, and it is in the test.

I don't mind dialing at all ... call me nostalgic.

Edelweiss
03-30-2012, 08:53 AM
You need to adapt and overcome.

Shoot, watch the target and adjust your hold to the point of impact, shoot again kill it.

3 step program!

hardstalk
04-22-2012, 11:57 AM
How's the showdown coming bb?

Bitterroot Bulls
04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Still working on it. I have taken a ton of notes, but I haven't done the tracking tests. I did get the Horus Vision calibration targets edelweiss suggested, and although they were way more expensive than I thought they would be, they are awesome!

mcseal2
04-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Very curious to see the results, I'm in the market for a scope in this range.

Edelweiss
04-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Horus makes good stuff. The new Leupold 35mm M8 Tactical scope also comes in a Horus reticle now. I haven't seen a price on one, or held one in my hands. I am betting $3500 plus.

Hard to swallow a Leupold for $3500. Especially when a Schmidt Bender is the same money.

Colorado Cowboy
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Don't know anything about a $3500.00 Leupold, but I do know that all I shoot is Leupold VXIII scopes. Have used only the VXIII since they came out and I have 3ea 3 1/2 x10's, 4ea 4 x14's and a 6 1/2 x 20. Never had a problem with any of them. I also only use the Leupold Target Dot reticle, it is in every one of them. I also have an older 6x Leupold Golden Ring.

My credo when I was working (as an aerospace production research engineering director) was..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". None of my Leupolds are "broke", so thats what I'll keep using!!

Whisky
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
I got a Mk4 and VX3 I'm happy with. From the non biased people I've talked to I think the glass will be better in the Leupy's than the PST. I've even read many reviews (and I believe Vortex has even admitted this) that the glass in the 6-24 PST is better than the 4-16. Why, I have no idea. I really like the lighter weight of the Leupy's for a hunting rifle.

I got components ordered up for a lighter-mid weight hunting rifle. I'm really struggling with the scope, although I got lots of time to ponder it. I need something somewhat light weight, but set up for LR. 30mm tube, exposed turrets and 17+ power are necessities. I've considered going with a PST, or a 40mm Obj VX3 LR with M1s and a TMR. If I was a rich man I'd order up a 2.5-25x42 March Tactical, with MOA reticle and knobs. That's a dream scope for a LR hunting rifle right there.

Anyways, anxiously awaiting for the review.....:)

Muleys 24/7
06-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Did we ever get results for the showdown?

Bitterroot Bulls
06-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Still have to put it all together, 24/7. I have been diverted to some other tasks, but here are the cliff's notes:

These are three quality scopes.

The Swaro is the optical winner, and not by a little. The image is spotting-scope quality. The reticle is a quick and effective way to make elevation corrections, but not as precised as dialing.

The Leupold is a very nice scope overall, and edges out the Vortex optically at max magnification, but has some real drawbacks in a few areas, but none more so than the variable eye relief. I had to move my head more than 1/2" between low magnification and high magnification!!

The Vortex is a crazy good value and beats out the Mark4 in every category except contrast at max magnification. It had the longest eye relief and was dead nuts constant throughout the magnifiation range, which was also the widest.

I like the Swaro on a trim hunting rifle, and the Vortex for a dedicated LR setup.

The Leupy is very good, but I would not purchase it over either the Z3 or the PST, especially in light of it's significantly more expensive street price.

SDbowhunter
06-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Hey Bitterroot, its been about a month since I've been on here, i'm excited to here the results on your test! I am still waiting on my order for a Vortex pst 6-24 mil, I was also going to get a CATs target and read the manual for them, seems that they are designed to be used one after the other to make sure the scope is calibrated correctly, did you use all of them or just the first group? i'm kinda curious. I'm really excited to get my scope dialed in on my .308

Bitterroot Bulls
06-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I just used one CATs target. I don't see the advantage of using more than one target. The most important part is making sure the target is EXACTLY 100 yards away from the scope objective and that the target is perfectly flat. I stretched and stapled one on a sheet of plywood.

All three scopes tracked dead on, but the Swaro is actually calibrated in 1/4" and not 1/4 MOA. They are not exactly the same thing. You are going to love having the adjustments match the reticle.