PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite hunting shows?

Ikeepitcold
03-24-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm sure it will be pretty obvious that Eastmans would be all of our first choices but what other shows do you like?

Eastmans
Into High Country with Jason Metzinger
On Your Own Adventures
Relentless Pursuit
Long Range Pursuit
Preditor Nation
Dead Dog Walking

These are my favorites. Mostly western big game hunting

Old Hunter
03-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I've never seen one still hunting in the timber.

So, i'll have to say.........none.

Stringmusic
03-24-2012, 07:47 PM
On Your Own Adventure

Meat Eater

Primos

Ikeepitcold
03-24-2012, 08:14 PM
On Your Own Adventure

Meat Eater

Primos

Oh ya I forgot Meat Eater!

sjsmallfield
03-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Eastmans
Primos
Dead Dog Walkin
Predator Nation
Fur Takers
Predator Quest
Bone Collector

Muleys 24/7
03-24-2012, 08:33 PM
I use to always watch Christansen Arms when they were on, I like Best of the West and long range pursuit to..... I'll watch pretty much anything with western big game and preditors.

RUTTIN
03-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Eastmans especially the bowhunting episodes
On Your Own Adventures
Bowhunter TV
Easton Bowhunting
Muzzy Bowhunting
Pretty much anything to do with bowhunting, I like to watch. Used to really like Arrow Affliction when Chris Bracket was the host.

buckbull
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
About the only ones I bother to watch anymore are Eastmans and Into High Country with Jason Metzinger.

Joe Hulburt
03-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Eastmans has never let me down.
On Your Own Adventures has never let me down.

Into High Country with JM is usually good.
Easton Bowhunting and Muzzy or any other with Fred Eichler always get watched. Fred is a character and I usually kill bigger stuff than him so it boosts my confidence. :p

The biggest disappointment to me lately is Bowhunter TV. I once held that group in high regard but no longer.....

Drelk
03-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Quite a few I like. Quite a few I can't stand. Dont have a lot if interest in watching tree stand whitetail hunting or calling turkeys. Like Tom Mirandas stuff. Like Fred Eichlers stuff. Like best of the west for the scenery and sheep, could care less about killing something 3/4 mile away. Actually had quite a few laughs watching Jimmy big time with my son.

jenbickel
03-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I like any show with MossBack Game Calls in it ;)
Love Jason Matzinger and of course Eastmans is by far my favorite. I also liked arrow affliction when it was Chris.
I don't like watching tree stand hunting either.
I do like Primos shows as well.. Mainly their elk hunting.
There are a lot of them I can't stand. I would much rather get out and hunt than watch them anyways!

Fink
03-25-2012, 08:23 AM
About the only shows I can stand to watch is Eastmans and Heartland Bowhunter. HB probably wouldn't be of much interest to the Western guys, but the guys on the show live near me, and hunt alot of areas close to my spots, so it's neat to see familiar territory on TV.

Drhorsepower
03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
I don't get outdoor channel so no eastmans anymore for me.

I like solo hunters
Meateater
Dropped Alaska
Extreme outer limits
Any western hunting show

I have seen the into high country and that is a great show.

No offense whitetails hunters but watching a dude with an accent from Arkansas sit in a tree stand and watch a buck get arrowed is cool to see a few times.

If I was a whitetail hunter I'd be all about it though! :)

Fink
03-25-2012, 09:05 AM
No offense whitetails hunters but watching a dude with an accent from Arkansas sit in a tree stand and watch a buck get arrowed is cool to see a few times.

If I was a whitetail hunter I'd be all about it though! :)

That's why I watch Heartland Bowhunter. In Missouri, we don't have accents!

schoff
03-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Eastmans Shockey RNTTV Fowl Life DeadDog Walkin Furtakers

Bitterroot Bulls
03-25-2012, 09:21 AM
I will watch Anything that doesn't have a box and a feeder.

I like Eastmans the most. Into High Country is a great show as well.

Jon Boy
03-25-2012, 11:10 AM
On your own adventures and meat eater are by far my favorites.
Dropped project alaksa was a good series
Eastmans has really let me down as of late but I still record there shows.

beav906
03-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Eastmans is my number one. Western extreme. Fred Eichler is entertaining. Chris bracket. The nuge. And if any body has ever seen it the Jim Shockey Hal and Len edition is classic

Jon Boy
03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
I knew I was forgetting something Hal and Len is the funniest most entertaining hunting show out there!

marcusvdk
03-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I like watching a lot of hunting shows on the outdoor network

Eastmans
Western Extreme
Primos
Jim shockey and the hal and len addition
Bone Collectors
Spirit of the Wild with Uncle Ted
Steves Outdoor Adventure
Bow Madness
Cabelas Ultimate adventure
The Choice with ralph and vicki

i just love watching hunting shows especially when out here in Michigan we aren't hunting much in the spring. the only hunting season in the spring here is Turkey. Tend to do more fishing that time of the year.

Colorado Cowboy
03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Don't watch a lot of them. All seem so staged, at least in my view. I know they take 1000's of feet of film and only take a small amount for the shows, but it just doesn't give me the prospective I'm looking for.

Matthoek21
03-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Fink maybe up ur way they don't have accents but one of my best friends is from Rolla and he talks like I do. I-70 is the line that separates the Yankees from the rednecks. I can say this because I am a redneck from GA. and I lived in St. Peters, MO to. Love MO. Still hunt just north of you Fink(Gilman City), hunting them sorry Whitetails every year.
I like all the hunting shows except the ones like Expedition Safari and those SCI shows where you pay for your 150"-160" deer. You know the ones with corn in the middle of the Sendero and eight 150" or better deer standing in the road. I much rather see a do it yourself hunt than anything but I still like my southern brothers Waddell, Primos, and Jordan.

Jerry
03-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Don't watch many of them anymore! Can't stand tree stand hunting, don't care much for hunting behind a fence, $20,000 to $50,000 hunts piss me off; Governors or auction tags are strictly saying take a look at how rich and I am, seeing how far away you can shoot something isn't hunting to me, so, this just about cuts out most shows for me. If I do watch it is Eastmans or Shockey.

Vanish
03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I used to really like Tred Barta. I like half of the Eastman's stuff (the longer DIY shows). Not a lot of experience with other shows as I don't have cable TV, or even an antenna.

For me, the problem with most hunting shows, is the focus on the kill. I'd rather watch a full hour focused on one hunt than five 10 minute clips where half of it is them admiring and talking about the kill. If I want to see a big animal, I can drive to RMNP, and see them alive! :D Show me the scenery, the pack in, the camp, the let downs, the small animals, the other wildlife. Make me feel like I am there!

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I have not seen all the hunting shows mentioned on the thread above but I'd like any hunting show that captures more than just killing the animal. I want one that shows more of the adventure and quest for the hunter, hunting on public land.

Private land hunts are ok. I've hunted my fair share of them and I've had some awesome experiences. It's great seeing big record book mature animals killed on TV but it means much more to me seeing someone not only film and kill beautiful mature animals but seeing their quest when they get one on public land. I'd much rather see a show on someone going after animals on public land more than seeing animals killed on a private land food plots or on someones private multi thousand acre ranch.

I'd like to see TV hunting shows move away from the European system of game management or wildlife owned by who owns the land. There is way to much private land hunting on TV these days both in the USA and abroad. Give me a show that helps foster that American, "Pioneer Spirit", of hunting and hunting some of that 194,000,000 acres of National Forest public land that was championed by the likes of Theodore Roosevelt. Now that's a TV show I'd enjoy watching.

BobT
03-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Give me a show that helps foster that American, "Pioneer Spirit", of hunting and hunting some of that 194,000,000 acres of National Forest public land that was championed by the likes of Theodore Roosevelt. Now that's a TV show I'd enjoy watching.

That would be On Your Own Adventures or Meat Eater, I like both of those in addition to Eastmans. I also watch the Duck Commander although it's usually more of a comedy show than a hunting show.

Bob

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks BobT. Guess I need to look into getting the Sportsman's Channel in addition to the Outdoor Channel. Sounds like I'm missing out on some good programing.

Bitterroot Bulls
03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
I like Meat Eater a lot too. I was a little disappointed when I saw him in one of my spots though...

:eek:

Ikeepitcold
03-26-2012, 01:29 PM
I like Meat Eater a lot too. I was a little disappointed when I saw him in one of my spots though...

:eek:

Your secrets out BB! Hahahha JK

Bitterroot Bulls
03-26-2012, 01:47 PM
When I saw that episode I was like ... "You gotta be kiddin' me, no, don't pull out a map and point!"

"Oh, for cryin' out loud."
:rolleyes:

Ikeepitcold
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM
When I saw that episode I was like ... "You gotta be kiddin' me, no, don't pull out a map and point!"

I am kinda surprised how many guys on the shows do that. If you really listen and pay attention to the maps they are looking ant and pointing to, the signs up on the roads, a the conversation a guy could really get close to the spot they are hunting in.

sjsmallfield
03-26-2012, 02:05 PM

I guess that is one plus to living in CA. You never see hunting shows on CA unless they are on a private ranch. Okay the only plus. Lol

Elkoholic307
03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Long Range Pursuit, Extreme Outer Limits, Buck Commander

GameSlayer
03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I like it all, but there are the better ones.. I have pet peeves with shot setup and bad shots.
I enjoy what the guys at Rusted Rooster do with Dropped, Backcountry quest, etc. I'll be headed to a video school with them in a few weeks!

Muleys 24/7
03-26-2012, 11:20 PM
I guess that is one plus to living in CA. You never see hunting shows on CA unless they are on a private ranch. Okay the only plus. Lol
HA, aint that the truth

Edelweiss
03-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Eastmans is good, especially Mike and anything non-bowhunting. I miss Gordy though. We watch High Wild and Free about once a month.

I can't wait to catch up on all the new shows when we get back to the states, does anyone know of a way to watch them online?

I like Craig Boddington, but even though I have hunted in Africa and lived there I have zero interest in watching AFrican hunting on TV.

I also like Larry Weishuhn and Greg Ritz, but am not interested in whitetails.

John Porter is good on B of the W, not into the Davidson's show, it would be so bad if Aaron didn't spend so much strutting and beyong a snob. I could take 3 chimps from the bush and put them in front of a CNC machine and build a rifle. Not impressed.

I'd like to see Todd Hodnett get a show, but I am sure he's way to busy cashing checks from the Military for sniper training. And honestly if I knew half of what he knows I would do the same thing.

Doe Nob
03-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Eastmans, Bone Collector, Expedition Safari, Nosler's magnum TV are all interesting, but the only one my DVR records regularly is Eastmans.

norcalhunter
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I like Eastmans, Bone Collector, OYOA, Meateater, and Buck Commander. Used to watch a lot of others but I got tired of the treestand, food plot, game cam thing. I'm pretty sure most of us could kill some nice whitetails if we had a thousand acres in Iowa with food plots, 50 different stands, and game cameras everywhere. I know I would "crush'em". I have not watched Nugent in awhile. The last show I saw him kill some monster non-typical whitetail. looked up where he was hunting and it was some "preserve" and I think that deer would have cost him $50,000-100,000. Before that I watched him kill an elk out of a treestand, in Texas over bait. He must make the feed stores in Texas very happy. If he ever did a DIY public land hunt I would crap myself.

cali_hornhunter
03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
As long with everyone else Eastmans TV lol Meateater ,bone collector arrow affliction and the new show Dropped project alaska, western extreme, into the high country and territories wild as with many other people on this forum not the biggest fan of all the white tail shows where its 30 mins of sitting in a tree stand and arrowing a buck it would be awesome to see a show like survivor man with les stroud but in the hunting world in a backcountry setting which is kinda like meateater or dropped project alaska

JNDEER
03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
I used to really like Tred Barta. I like half of the Eastman's stuff (the longer DIY shows). Not a lot of experience with other shows as I don't have cable TV, or even an antenna.

For me, the problem with most hunting shows, is the focus on the kill. I'd rather watch a full hour focused on one hunt than five 10 minute clips where half of it is them admiring and talking about the kill. If I want to see a big animal, I can drive to RMNP, and see them alive! :D Show me the scenery, the pack in, the camp, the let downs, the small animals, the other wildlife. Make me feel like I am there!

x2.

If you have not purchased Pure Elevations 90%...I highly recommend you do.....wish they would stop going to the archery shows and get that second DVD out!!!!!! (j/k)

BKC
03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
I watch a lot of them, but the treestand hunting gets old pretty quick. I don't know what it is with so called reality shows, but everything has to come down to the last day, the last hour, the last minute, the last blah blah, blah. I think some of deer we see are killed whenever and they edit it to make it seem that it is the last day to keep you watching.

dcestnik
03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
In addition to the mentioned shows Hunt forever west is good stuff too. http://www.huntforeverwest.com/ They're regular guys who probably have non-hunting day jobs, limited vacation and money. They just load up and hunt with friends/family as their camera man just like anyone here can. More interested in the act of hunting instead some tv personality who just has to write a check, show up and make the shot on a managed property followed by pimping some new gadget or scent that made it all possible.

Ikeepitcold
03-27-2012, 09:41 PM
In addition to the mentioned shows Hunt forever west is good stuff too. http://www.huntforeverwest.com/ They're regular guys who probably have non-hunting day jobs, limited vacation and money. They just load up and hunt with friends/family as their camera man just like anyone here can. More interested in the act of hunting instead some tv personality who just has to write a check, show up and make the shot on a managed property followed by pimping some new gadget or scent that made it all possible.

What network are they on?

bigshot
03-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Eastmans
Dropped Project Alaska
Best of the West
On Your Own Adventures

dcestnik
03-27-2012, 10:05 PM
What network are they on?
None, its just a youtube series.

HuntinFool
03-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Just watched the end of Dropped: Project Alaska and I really enjoyed that.

Jon Boy
03-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Just watched the end of Dropped: Project Alaska and I really enjoyed that.

Yah it was good. Im excited to see what "project x" is all about

xtreme
03-28-2012, 07:45 AM
I dont watch shooting over corn or much of the blind and treestand shows.
Eastmans
On Your Own Adventures
Fred Eichler
Predator Quest
Best Of The West

Elkoholic307
03-28-2012, 08:41 AM
I've never seen one still hunting in the timber.

So, i'll have to say.........none.

I'd say you're being pretty picky!

Old Hunter
03-28-2012, 09:24 AM
I'd say you're being pretty picky!

I actually watch all of them, but i'd love to see one show with my style of hunting. I'd really enjoy it. The rest are just ok.

I want to puke watching tree stands, baiting, and long shots. I guess hunters like them, because there's enough shows like that.

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2012, 09:33 AM
None, its just a youtube series.

Ok cool I will check them out. I looked at the web site and they look very interesting.

Vanish
03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
x2.

If you have not purchased Pure Elevations 90%...I highly recommend you do.....wish they would stop going to the archery shows and get that second DVD out!!!!!! (j/k)

I checked out the trailer. Looks pretty good. Thanks!

Ranchhand02
03-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I like eastmans, best of the west, and long range pursuit. I also really like dropped project alaska on the sportsman channel

RUTTIN
03-28-2012, 07:19 PM
In addition to the mentioned shows Hunt forever west is good stuff too. http://www.huntforeverwest.com/ They're regular guys who probably have non-hunting day jobs, limited vacation and money. They just load up and hunt with friends/family as their camera man just like anyone here can. More interested in the act of hunting instead some tv personality who just has to write a check, show up and make the shot on a managed property followed by pimping some new gadget or scent that made it all possible.Hey thanks for heads up on these guys, that's a great website with great shows. Another great website to view hunting shows of all kinds(even the old Eastman shows with Gordon) is Xbandits.com Thanks again dcestnik.

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Hey thanks for heads up on these guys, that's a great website with great shows. Another great website to view hunting shows of all kinds(even the old Eastman shows with Gordon) is Xbandits.com Thanks again dcestnik.

I watched a few of the shows today and I'm hooked. I really like the attitude and the narration. It's a good show. I subscribed to get info on when the new shows come out to watch.

Vanish
03-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Another great website to view hunting shows of all kinds(even the old Eastman shows with Gordon) is Xbandits.com Thanks again dcestnik.

I think xbandits was taken down a couple months ago.

cacklercrazy
03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
bowhunter tv, easton bowhunting, meateater. don't get eastmans, but love the dvds.

Joe Hulburt
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I wonder if those that mention Extreme Outer Limits will still watch now that the host is banned from 36 states for killing a deer in Idaho without a tag? He tried to squirm around on a few message boards and lie his way out of it but in the end he can't deny he knew he had poached a deer and tried to get away with it.

http://www.northwesternoutdoors.com/Blog/page1/2012/04/03/d51ae8c1-780e-4e02-b5bb-df3ac2a28cbc.aspx

I would rather see hunting shows banned than have them continue to give the general public the American sportsman is a selfish greedy slob which is what they seem to be doing all too often....

Edelweiss
04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I wonder if those that mention Extreme Outer Limits will still watch now that the host is banned from 36 states for killing a deer in Idaho without a tag? He tried to squirm around on a few message boards and lie his way out of it but in the end he can't deny he knew he had poached a deer and tried to get away with it.

http://www.northwesternoutdoors.com/Blog/page1/2012/04/03/d51ae8c1-780e-4e02-b5bb-df3ac2a28cbc.aspx

I would rather see hunting shows banned than have them continue to give the general public the American sportsman is a selfish greedy slob which is what they seem to be doing all too often....

I just read that, what an idiot. He's not a professional hunter, no one on TV is. A professional hunter is a African Hunting Guide. Craig Boddington wrote an article concerning that very topic recently.

On another forum, I brought up a poll to see what these idiots should be called. TV Hunting Idiots seems to be the consensus.

hoytnut
04-05-2012, 02:44 PM
OYOA
Meat Eater
Nock On
Eastmans
Pure Hunting (new)
Live2Hunt (Canadian show coming to OC soon)