PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Hybrids... Anyone hunt them?

Graylight
03-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Anyone else here hunt our little Southern Californian, Blacktail cousins, the pacific hybrid? They aren't much antler wise but fun to hunt while you're waiting for the fall hunts... Here's one from a while back...3014

Muleys 24/7
03-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I hunt socal,How do you know whats a pacific hybrid? I've never heard that

Graylight
03-25-2012, 10:58 PM
I am not intimately familiar with specific lines, however, it is basically from around Monterey to the South, along the coast to San Diego. The Southern portion of A zone, D-19, parts of D-11, D-15 and D-16... If you hunt San Diego, you're most likely hunting hybrids... Like I said, I am not the authority on the actual lines, however, there is no book category for these little deer... Either way, I find them just as smart and challenging to hunt as any other species or sub-species!

Muleys 24/7
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Maybe I've gotten a couple then.....out of D-16, I was always told they were blacktails?? Either way that's a nice 3x3 you got there.Was that one taken on public land?

Graylight
03-25-2012, 11:37 PM
True Blacktails are further to the North of us... I have been thinking about putting a high country Trinity alps hunt together for them in August someday, too much to do, so little time...

Jon Boy
03-25-2012, 11:49 PM
We call em bench legs in Oregon and Washington.

Jerry
03-26-2012, 12:29 AM
We call em bench legs in Oregon and Washington.
That's what I always called them! Have heard both ways that there is an actual mixed species, but don't have a clue whats true!

bigshot
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Here are the deer boundaries set by the California Bowmen Hunters Big Game Club Record book.

bigshot
03-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Hey Grey light, that is a nice buck, did you ever get him scored. Looks like he would make the Cali archery book.

Ikeepitcold
03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Big Shot I was thinking the same thing. Nice buck!

Graylight
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I rough scored him, he's about 134 gross, 130 net... He's one of my better local bucks... Just thought I'd ask if any of you boy's on this forum chase hybrids around? I wouldn't think there's too many of us on here but you never know...

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Here are the deer boundaries set by the California Bowmen Hunters Big Game Club Record book.

The Pacific Hybrid according to the deer boundaries map set by the California Bowmen Hunters Big Game Club Record book falls where I live. Most of the hunting I'm able to do close to me in that zone is with a camera only unless I pay for a hunting lease on some pretty nice private lands. I've seen some nice Pacific Hybrid bucks hiking on the public no hunt zones though. It's mostly private land or county and state parks where I live. Most if all of the land by me is private land other than some BLM, military bases and a bit of National forest further down south. I've hunted some of the public but mostly just for quail.

That is a nice buck Graylight. Well done!

Colorado Cowboy
04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Lived in the LA area most of my life (58 years until I retired 12 years ago) and never heard the southern cal coastal deer call hybrids. I have hunted the Ventura/Ojai area for years (Sespe, Frazier Park and Apache Canyon) and have taken some pretty good bucks out of there. Never scored any, but based on what I know now, several would score 160. I have also found sheds that were as big (mass, ht & width) as any we get here in the Colo. Hunting the early season used to be a really tough proposition. Season opened in August and usually it was hot as hell. Lots of steep brushy country, you had to be a dedicated deer hunter!!

During WWII my Dad bought 10 acres in Malibu (right above Paradise Cove) and we lived there for a couple of years. Lots of deer there. I have a mount of a buck my Dad shot in 1945 the is a 5x5, heavy beamed nice buck. Weighed 169# of meat at the butcher as I remember. This deer had hair over 1" long. Dad told me a large ranch between us and Santa Monica brought in a bunch of muleys from Utah and turned them loose. Unfortunately in 1948 Dad sold the property because we couldn't get any water, even after drilling 2 or 3 wells. I'll see if I can get a picture or 2 and post them .

Colorado Cowboy
04-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Not great pictures. Width is right at 24", ht is about 13.

Kevin Root
04-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Lived in the LA area most of my life (58 years until I retired 12 years ago) and never heard the southern cal coastal deer call hybrids. I have hunted the Ventura/Ojai area for years (Sespe, Frazier Park and Apache Canyon) and have taken some pretty good bucks out of there. Never scored any, but based on what I know now, several would score 160. I have also found sheds that were as big (mass, ht & width) as any we get here in the Colo. Hunting the early season used to be a really tough proposition. Season opened in August and usually it was hot as hell. Lots of steep brushy country, you had to be a dedicated deer hunter!!

During WWII my Dad bought 10 acres in Malibu (right above Paradise Cove) and we lived there for a couple of years. Lots of deer there. I have a mount of a buck my Dad shot in 1945 the is a 5x5, heavy beamed nice buck. Weighed 169# of meat at the butcher as I remember. This deer had hair over 1" long. Dad told me a large ranch between us and Santa Monica brought in a bunch of muleys from Utah and turned them loose. Unfortunately in 1948 Dad sold the property because we couldn't get any water, even after drilling 2 or 3 wells. I'll see if I can get a picture or 2 and post them .

The below map is what I've seen as well and read on deer distribution in California. I got it off the CA fish and game site below. I'm not a biologist but I've heard one can tell the six recognized subspecies by the tail patterns as well. I'd imagine where "hybrid" term is coming from is the interbreeding diversity that goes on between the deer.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/keepmewild/deer.html

Pretty cool history and nice buck Colorado Cowboy. 10 acres in Malibu from 1945-1948. I'm sure the scenery has changed a bit since your family had the place. I'd hate to imagine what that same 10 acres goes for in todays market, even with the resent downturn in the market. :)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t387/Kevin_Root/Posting%20Pictures/deer_map.gif

Colorado Cowboy
04-06-2012, 04:46 PM
It was a great piece of land. Don't even want to think about living there now....probably couldn't even afford to pay the taxes on it!!

Kevin Root
04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
It was a great piece of land. Don't even want to think about living there now....probably couldn't even afford to pay the taxes on it!!

I can only imagine what it looked like back then. It surely was a whole lot more pristine and rural in those days. Hearing the history about it for me is sure cool though.

breacher
05-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Anyone else here hunt our little Southern Californian, Blacktail cousins, the pacific hybrid? They aren't much antler wise but fun to hunt while you're waiting for the fall hunts... Here's one from a while back...3014

Thats a beautiful hybrid Graylight. Here are a couple from the past two years. Both taken in San Diego County using a bow.

bigshot
05-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I used to hunt Malibu quit a bit, but stopped when they divided the archery (Zone A31-A32) Zones. A31 is much closer and there is some great hunting there too. When I did hunt Malibu we hunted around Puerco Canyon and behind Pepperdine University. Its been over ten years since I've hunted that area. I heard a Movie directer bought the access road and property where we used to hunt and its now heavily posted. I saw bucks in the 28 inch wide class!!

HuntWYODon
07-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I am not intimately familiar with specific lines, however, it is basically from around Monterey to the South, along the coast to San Diego. The Southern portion of A zone, D-19, parts of D-11, D-15 and D-16... If you hunt San Diego, you're most likely hunting hybrids... Like I said, I am not the authority on the actual lines, however, there is no book category for these little deer... Either way, I find them just as smart and challenging to hunt as any other species or sub-species!

The zones you mentioned are Calfornia Mule deer and Southern Mule deer. Further south in D12 and D17 they are called Burro Mule deer. Blacktails usually start from nortern L.A. county coastal all the way into Or. and Wa.. Where you get the cross over hybrids is east of the mtns. along hwy 5 going north. It's splittin hairs but Calif. defines 7 different types of deer. All are based on the black pattern on their tail. Muleys 24/7 and bigshot, your D14,D116,D19 and D15 are all specified as Southern Mule deer. No blacktails anywhere in those zones or D11 which if I remember correcty are specified as California Mule deer . No, Im not a game biologist. Just studied when I was a youngin.

I just noticed there was another page with the species map posted. What a dork ! Should go past 1st page huh ? Give me a brake, I just turned senior citizen on the 13th.:rolleyes::confused:

HuntWYODon
07-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Thats a beautiful hybrid Graylight. Here are a couple from the past two years. Both taken in San Diego County using a bow.

That's awesome breacher ! Hard to get a D16 buck with a bow let alone find a buck. During A22 or D16 archery ?
I put a tree stand up for the first time in Ca. last year. A22.

HuntWYODon
07-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Not great pictures. Width is right at 24", ht is about 13.

Dang CC ! Those pics scared the heck out of me wen I clicked on them ! Awesome rack for a Ca. coastal deer !
Can you please write a book of all your adventures back in the day ? I'd buy one for me and some for my friends. Ever time I read one of you stories I want more !

Colorado Cowboy
07-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Pretty ugly huh! My Dad had this mount stored in a wharehouse when I lived at the Salton Sea, the rats/mice got after it.

Funny you should mention writing a book, I have kept a journal on almost all of my Wyoming hunts and a lot other High Sierra ones too.

HuntWYODon
07-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Pretty ugly huh! My Dad had this mount stored in a wharehouse when I lived at the Salton Sea, the rats/mice got after it.

Funny you should mention writing a book, I have kept a journal on almost all of my Wyoming hunts and a lot other High Sierra ones too.

Dang CC !
I hope you write a book. I love to hear your stories about hunting in Ca. back in the day. Some of the areas you mention I have hunted and it's fasinating to think what it was like before I ever hunted it. When did you live in Salton Sea area ? When I was a kid I lived in Palm Desert and Palm Spring for 5 yrs. We used to go to Salton Sea often to catch covina, sargo and croker. In the late 80's to about 1998 I had a friend I hunted with who was a State Game Warden who worked there and lived in Indio. The mount looks like bowievel's/moths ate the hair. I see that when I don't take the hide off the scull caps on antlers I cut off and hang on the garage rafters. A mess of hair falling. Your Wyoming and Sierra hunts interest me the most. This will be my 30th yr. in a row hunting Wy. and the X zones in the Sierra's are my favorite zones. I have always said if I ever move and if it is going to be in this f'ed up state, it's going to be to Bishop. Mammoth would be nice but higher prices and tourist. I spend time at a cabin at Convict Lake every year Memorial Weeked. If not, I'm either moving to Cody or my property near Alcova, Wy. Keep the stories coming, I know a lot of other's here love them too !

Colorado Cowboy
07-22-2012, 12:39 PM
I didn't live at the Salton Sea, my Dad did. When he retired in 1973 he moved there (near Niland)from Downey. Him and my Mom lived there until 2005 when he just got too old to take care of his duck club. My Dad owned a duck club since 1956, so I spent a lot of time hunting ducks, geese and doves there. Caught lots of fish out of the Sea too. Too bad the fish have mostly disappeared.

Probably will get back to the Sierras next fall to hunt with the family. Looks like Dad won't make it that long, so I am planning to take part of his ashes to his favorite place to hunt up there and scatter them next to where his Dad's (my Grandfather)are.

sjsmallfield
07-22-2012, 04:10 PM
I didn't live at the Salton Sea, my Dad did. When he retired in 1973 he moved there (near Niland)from Downey. Him and my Mom lived there until 2005 when he just got too old to take care of his duck club. My Dad owned a duck club since 1956, so I spent a lot of time hunting ducks, geese and doves there. Caught lots of fish out of the Sea too. Too bad the fish have mostly disappeared.

Probably will get back to the Sierras next fall to hunt with the family. Looks like Dad won't make it that long, so I am planning to take part of his ashes to his favorite place to hunt up there and scatter them next to where his Dad's (my Grandfather)are.

Sorry to here about your dad's health CC. My family has been going through a run of that also lately(two of my grandparents). My thoughts are with you and your family.

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Sorry to here about both of your families health problems. I've hunted ducks and geese on the south/east side of the sea before many years ago. The salt content there is so high now that I don't think the fish can handle it. What X zone are you going to hunt in Sierra's Are you talking about next fall/next year ? I showed my son where/what mtn. I wan't my ashes "Burried" in Wy.. I have a friend that burried his dad's ashes "Urn" ? in the mountains where I shot my bighorn in Ca.. He want's his there also.