PDA

View Full Version : Backpack hunting D7

Red 1
03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a public land hunt in D7? I don't have any vacation this year so I will only have long weekends -- 3 or 4 days at a time to hunt. This is my first year backpack hunting. I will use this year to check my preprations and physical training to see if I'm on track for longer trips in the future.

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I've backpacked in the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness and the John Muir Wilderness, mostly just to trout fish though in D7. There is some awesome and beautiful country back in there. 3-4 days at a time is awesome. If you can do some trips, 3-4 days at a time to scout prior to hunting season, I'll gather you will learn your areas well and it also helps in the conditioning for backpack hunting. The more your able to do it, the more comfortable you will be out there.

Have you called anybody in the Fish and Game to ask about general deer density counts or see what they say to pointing you to an area out in the zone? I've found the Fish and Game is pretty helpful in at least point out some general areas to start.

Best wishes and success to you on your coming D7 hunt!

Red 1
03-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks Kevin. I have not yet contacted fish and game, I will here real soon

Graylight
03-26-2012, 03:00 PM
You should have a good time... If I were you, I would get above timber and work the granite basins... The bucks do hang out in bachelor groups up there and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to hang a tag on one with a bit of effort... I have worked pretty hard to find a few areas up there that have animals in them and I can tell you, they are there 100%... I have not gone back because I keep going to Colorado...

The bucks will feed in the willows in the AM and work their way up into the granite with small bushes here and there... They'll usually bed up in those areas for the day, it is a tough hunt but can be productive with the right attitude... Be prepared to hike in at least 8 to 12 miles Good luck...

Colorado Cowboy
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I have backpacked and drop camped in D7 for over 50 years. Lots of good bucks above timberline, you just have to work for them. I have always come in from the east side of D7 from Mammoth and into whats now called "Ansel Adams Wilderness". When i first started it was not wilderness. I've always hunted between the north fork and middle fork of the San Joaquin River.

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Oh, I forgot about the Ansel Adams wilderness. It got it's name change in 1984. That is a awesome wilderness too. It backs up to Yosemite. I've always thought that would be a decent zone as it backs up to a National Park and X9a. D7 had a 7.3% estimated hunter success in 2011. That's not as good as X9a's 58% estimated hunter success being on the eastern sierras but D7 with 9,000 tags should be an easy tag draw when compared with 650 tags offered in X9a.

Red 1
03-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks a lot guys I know it won't be easy. I have been hunting D7 for years but not above timberline. This is my first year with my house on my back.

Colorado Cowboy
03-26-2012, 07:16 PM
I've got a lot of pictures of some pretty good bucks taken over the years from that area. I'll have to scan them at try to get them into an album so you can see them. The last time I was in there was in 2005 after I retired and moved to Colorado. I went with my cousins and a few friends. We hunted hard and saw quite a few bucks. I spent 3 days working on a nice buck , probably 28+ wide around 180, but he just was too smart for me (and I'm getting a little old and a lot slower!!). Guess he didn't get that big by being stupid! Tought country to hunt, all above the timber line, lots of granite cliffs and ways to see you and slip away.

My family started packing in there right after WWII from Jackass Flats on the western side. Found it easier to get to where we like to hunt from Mammoth. Been there every year since 1946! My Dad is 94 and still wants to go but obviuosly can't. When he passes, I am going to scatter his ashes on a nice crossing at timberline that was his favorite place to hunt. My grandfater is already there since 1980. If you ever get to Red's Meadows Pack Station ask Bob Tanner (the owner) about the Lawrence Party. He'll tell you some stories.

Ikeepitcold
03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I've got a lot of pictures of some pretty good bucks taken over the years from that area. I'll have to scan them at try to get them into an album so you can see them. The last time I was in there was in 2005 after I retired and moved to Colorado. I went with my cousins and a few friends. We hunted hard and saw quite a few bucks. I spent 3 days working on a nice buck , probably 28+ wide around 180, but he just was too smart for me (and I'm getting a little old and a lot slower!!). Guess he didn't get that big by being stupid! Tought country to hunt, all above the timber line, lots of granite cliffs and ways to see you and slip away.

My family started packing in there right after WWII from Jackass Flats on the western side. Found it easier to get to where we like to hunt from Mammoth. Been there every year since 1946! My Dad is 94 and still wants to go but obviuosly can't. When he passes, I am going to scatter his ashes on a nice crossing at timberline that was his favorite place to hunt. My grandfater is already there since 1980. If you ever get to Red's Meadows Pack Station ask Bob Tanner (the owner) about the Lawrence Party. He'll tell you some stories.

I don't have any hunt info but just thought it was real cool CC that your family has been there for so long and that your family ashes are there. I bet there is some real good stories to hear.

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't have any hunt info but just thought it was real cool CC that your family has been there for so long and that your family ashes are there. I bet there is some real good stories to hear.

+ 1 from me as well CC. Sounds like you have some awesome heritage, history and memories there on that mountain. Just real, real cool.

Colorado Cowboy
03-26-2012, 10:15 PM
OK guys, got pictures uploaded and album done. Check my profile

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
OK guys, got pictures uploaded and album done. Check my profile

Very nice CC. The deer log tells a pretty good story in itself. Looks like a nice catch of California Golden trout from what I thought I saw too in one of the pictures. Looks like some awesome memories.

Graylight
03-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Here's a few pictures from a trip we did a couple years back... We went closing weekend, so the bucks were out of velvet and already transitioning... Biggest buck we saw was a 140's 4X3 but there are much bigger in the country... We went for 3 days and covered about 35 miles... We were pretty beat once back at the trailhead!

Kevin Root
03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Here's a few pictures from a trip we did a couple years back... We went closing weekend, so the bucks were out of velvet and already transitioning... Biggest buck we saw was a 140's 4X3 but there are much bigger in the country... We went for 3 days and covered about 35 miles... We were pretty beat once back at the trailhead!

35 miles in 3 days up and down the mountains sounds like quite the tour. Looks like some nice country and sounds like a fun adventure.

Red 1
03-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Thats awsome CC, you have a lot of cool old stories I'm sure. when I was a kid my dad use to pack in to the sallie Keys but I was never able to go with him. I was going to take a pack trip with him this year but dont have any vacation this year still trying though. I work for the state and vacation is by senority and I'm low on the totom pole. Would like to get the experiance of packing to pass on to my kids some day.

Drhorsepower
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
California is so ugly huh gray light? Cc you need to sit down and record all of your old stories so generations can pass them on.

Colorado Cowboy
03-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Let me tell you a little about the picture with the trout. Those are Piute Cutthroats, which are pretty rare. One day back in the 70's my Dad got a call from a F&G biologist and told him Bob Tanner (owner of Reds Meadows) had told him that no one knew that country better than us. They had some pure strain Piutes that they wanted to plant in a stream that could be isolated from Rainbows and Brookies and did he have any ideas. Well we knew of one that had a falls at the end where it dumped into the SJ River and originated in a meadow and was barren. My Dad told them how to get there and they packed in the fingerlings the old way, by packstring. Those trout did well and are still there today. I doubt if anyone remembers they are there and I know nobody fishes them but us when we are deer hunting. Most of them are between 8 & 12", biggest probably 16. But they are stunning and very beautiful....good eating too!

Drhorsepower
03-27-2012, 07:22 AM
That's awesome cc!!!

Kevin Root
03-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Let me tell you a little about the picture with the trout. Those are Piute Cutthroats, which are pretty rare. One day back in the 70's my Dad got a call from a F&G biologist and told him Bob Tanner (owner of Reds Meadows) had told him that no one knew that country better than us. They had some pure strain Piutes that they wanted to plant in a stream that could be isolated from Rainbows and Brookies and did he have any ideas. Well we knew of one that had a falls at the end where it dumped into the SJ River and originated in a meadow and was barren. My Dad told them how to get there and they packed in the fingerlings the old way, by packstring. Those trout did well and are still there today. I doubt if anyone remembers they are there and I know nobody fishes them but us when we are deer hunting. Most of them are between 8 & 12", biggest probably 16. But they are stunning and very beautiful....good eating too!

Very cool story CC. I looked at the picture again at work this morning on a bigger screen. The parr marks stand out on what you caught and the fish had deep color and were real pretty. They are very rare. It's one of the rarest trout subspecies in North America. The Paiute cutthroat trout has the smallest historic range of any trout on North America. I've heard stories about the Fish and Game putting away some in far away isolated locations to try and keep a good strain going and away from hybridization, just in case they needed it. Sounds like that once barren water held them well. I was hoping they would open up the Silver King Creek so I could cross that form off my list on the California Heritage Trout Challenge. The Paiute is the hardest one to catch in some of it's native water on my list due to how limited that water is of the 11 forms.

packer58
03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Those are some cool old pics in your album...........gotta love the old pics...

Ikeepitcold
03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
CC in pic 7 it looks like a pump gun maybe a 270? Great pics. I really like the ones were there if 5-7 deer lined up. Those must have been the days.

Muleys 24/7
03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Graylight and ColoradoCowboy, Nice pic's and thanks for shar'in. All the older hunters I know say they wish the hunting today,was the same as those days.

Colorado Cowboy
03-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Found some more pictures The 2 colored ones were in 1953. I was 12 and my Dad was 35. The BW was in 1954 the next year. Compare to the last one from 2005. I was 64 and my dad was 87. His brother (my Uncle) is sitting next to him and is 84. All my cousins too.

The picture of the Rem pump was a 30-06. I still have it, but don't use it much.

I finally got my new printer/scanner setup and I love it. The scanner program is great!

Red 1
03-28-2012, 10:36 AM
304630473048Thats really cool, some memories that you can enjoy forever. I plan on having memories like that with my boys, have already started.

Kevin Root
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Very nice Red 1. This was a great thread. Thanks for post it. Seeing and hearing about the adventures on this thread, past, present and for the future have been awesome.

Red 1
03-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Very nice Red 1. This was a great thread. Thanks for post it. Seeing and hearing about the adventures on this thread, past, present and for the future have been awesome.
Ya it got a little off topic but I have enjoyed it all the same.

Colorado Cowboy
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Ya it got a little off topic but I have enjoyed it all the same.

Mabe...maybe not. I've backpacked/hunted all over the middle & eastern part of D7 and anyone with questions can sure ask.

Red 1
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
CC I have never done much more than day trips above timberline and I'm looking for any advice I can get on places that might hold some deer. I'm going to do a shake down run to Mt Givens and check out the basins that drain out to Mono hot springs, but kind of figure I need to go further in to the wilderness. If you could give me some advice on Piute Canyon or French Canyon drainages that might be worth looking at that would be great, or anywere else your advice is more than welcome.

Colorado Cowboy
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
My experience with scouting in the summer is that it is really food & water dependent. Depending on the winter, the deer can be at very different altitudes. I've seen winters that were really hard & had lots of snow. The deer were really late and really never got very high from their winter grounds. I've seen really dry winters and the deer were never very far from water.

Walk the ridges that lead to the high basins and look for sign, check the game trails and for sure take your spotter and spend lots of time looking, especially early and late. On warm days, look for them in the shade. Above timberline there is usually lots of scrub and some grassy areas too. Cover & food! I've seem some good bucks laying in the warm sand when it's cold.

Best advice is look, look some more and take your time. If often ask mysef..."If I was a buck where would I be?" If I can I like to get above the areas I think hold deer and look down. Just like in a tree stand, they don't look up that much.

I am not familiar with those 2 area you mentioned. I'll check some of my maps I still have.

Red 1
03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks I appreciate the advice. I'm going to try and spend as much time as I can up there.

Graylight
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
I have been up the Paiute side out of Bishop... It's a tough hike up to the border of D-7 but it is some good looking' country. You'll need to drop off to the West a ways to start finding animals. Don't go too late or you'll find out that they already shed and moved into transition zones awaiting the rut...

The drainage to the West of Desolation lake and Paiute both hold bucks but like I said... It's tough country and once you're at desolation lake, you'll find that it's a HUGE, FLAT slab of granite for a long ways! You gotta get to the West side and drop off into the drainages to find animals... The wife and I tried to day hunt it once... That was a little much as we left the trailhead at 1 AM and reached the West side by daybreak, hunted all morning to the NW and headed out that evening... 17.6 miles... Both of us were beat but she didn't complain... I think I whined the most about my knees, coming down the East side again lol... I'm getting old:D

Red 1
03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
I have been up the Paiute side out of Bishop... It's a tough hike up to the border of D-7 but it is some good looking' country. You'll need to drop off to the West a ways to start finding animals. Don't go too late or you'll find out that they already shed and moved into transition zones awaiting the rut...

The drainage to the West of Desolation lake and Paiute both hold bucks but like I said... It's tough country and once you're at desolation lake, you'll find that it's a HUGE, FLAT slab of granite for a long ways! You gotta get to the West side and drop off into the drainages to find animals... The wife and I tried to day hunt it once... That was a little much as we left the trailhead at 1 AM and reached the West side by daybreak, hunted all morning to the NW and headed out that evening... 17.6 miles... Both of us were beat but she didn't complain... I think I whined the most about my knees, coming down the East side again lol... I'm getting old:D

I thought as much I'm not sure that a hunt In that area is going to happen this year but mabe a pack trip next year. when I have the time off for it. Coming in from the east is not that feasible when I live in Paso.

Colorado Cowboy
03-29-2012, 07:27 AM
If you get over to the Mammoth area, I can give you directions for a much shorter backpack hunt. Park at Devils Postpile parking lot and go to the Postpile, keep going south along the river and you'll find a foot/pack stock bridge across the river. After you cross the river the trail takes you to a junction where the Muir Trail takes off, take the left trail to King Creek and Beck Lakes. It is about 3 or 4 miles to the creek. I've camped there and hunted. Lots of deer, but nothing is even near timberline.

Cross the creek and the trail goes up and out of the canyon, a bit of a hike...all uphill. Near the top is a trail going to the right to Beck Lakes. There is some good hunting there, right at timberline and fishing too. Continue past what is called Summit Meadows (not much of a meadow anymore) on over the ridge. Down to what is called Upper Stairway Meadow. Good camping and water. Lots of deer and access to some great high country. Total distance from the trailhead is about 8 miles and the meadow is right at 9,000. If you decide to do any of this, get the Devils Post Pile Quadrange topo map.

A side bar. Summit Meadows is where then Gov Ronald Reagan rode into to hold a press conference to kill the Trans Sierra Highway.

Kevin Root
03-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the write up on information Colorado Cowboy, Graylight and Red 1. Seeing all these pictures and stories has me wanting to explore D7 some more. I typically try for X12 or some different zones more up north when not getting drawn for X12 but D7 is calling me now this season and preseason too. The history and pioneer type spirit I've heard on the thread has me wanting to explore it some more. Thanks again!

Red 1
03-29-2012, 11:30 AM
If you get over to the Mammoth area, I can give you directions for a much shorter backpack hunt. Park at Devils Postpile parking lot and go to the Postpile, keep going south along the river and you'll find a foot/pack stock bridge across the river. After you cross the river the trail takes you to a junction where the Muir Trail takes off, take the left trail to King Creek and Beck Lakes. It is about 3 or 4 miles to the creek. I've camped there and hunted. Lots of deer, but nothing is even near timberline.

Cross the creek and the trail goes up and out of the canyon, a bit of a hike...all uphill. Near the top is a trail going to the right to Beck Lakes. There is some good hunting there, right at timberline and fishing too. Continue past what is called Summit Meadows (not much of a meadow anymore) on over the ridge. Down to what is called Upper Stairway Meadow. Good camping and water. Lots of deer and access to some great high country. Total distance from the trailhead is about 8 miles and the meadow is right at 9,000. If you decide to do any of this, get the Devils Post Pile Quadrange topo map.

A side bar. Summit Meadows is where then Gov Ronald Reagan rode into to hold a press conference to kill the Trans Sierra Highway.

Thanks I look forward to trying this area out. I'm going to check this out on my maps right now.

Red 1
04-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Just a quick update I talked to the biologist he had a lot of info and was very friendly and willing to answer any Questions I had.

Drhorsepower
04-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Just a quick update I talked to the biologist he had a lot of info and was very friendly and willing to answer any Questions I had.

So what did he say?:)

Kevin Root
04-19-2012, 10:18 PM

I've gotten some awesome information from the wildlife biologists in the past for both fishing and for hunting. It helps for a good start at least narrowing down some places a bit at least. There is so much land to sift through and it helps a bit to narrow down some options. Best wishes to you Red 1 on your upcoming scouting trips you talked about and hunt ahead.

Red 1
04-23-2012, 12:25 AM
The biologist that I talked to deals with the southern part of D7. There are three herds that he monitors. The Wishon-Courtright area holds the highest density of deer. He suggested that I try and get as far away from high pressure areas, but didn't have any specific area he would suggest. When I told him about how many years I have been skunked up there, he was not surprised, and just said that the kill percentage is very low in D7 - which I already knew. He told me that if I wanted to see what a forest is supposed to be, that I should see inside the forested areas that Edison owns. He said if I had a friend that worked for Edison, or could get permission to hunt Edison lands that I might have better luck. Forestry practices in National Forest are either that they don't manage it at all, or they go in and plant a tree every foot, which does not create the optimum deer habitat. I am trying to sum up a lot of information, but he really knew his stuff. Don't take it from me, you should call yourself. I know I will be calling again.

NoMoreOldNo7
04-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Took my first archery buck in that part of D7 back in '96. Got him hanging on the wall as I type this. It used to hold quite a few good deer, but not so much lately and thats why I changed units a few years back. Good luck there this year and let us know how you do.

Red 1
04-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Took my first archery buck in that part of D7 back in '96. Got him hanging on the wall as I type this. It used to hold quite a few good deer, but not so much lately and thats why I changed units a few years back. Good luck there this year and let us know how you do.

Thanks will do.

Red 1
09-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Update! My first trip was 3 days of bliss. I found out somethings about my gear that I will be upgrading and somethings that worked great, and I found this!4098

Muleys 24/7
09-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Red, is that a lion kill? or did you get that buck?

Kevin Root
09-04-2012, 08:30 PM
I could be wrong but with the hoof in the picture I'm gathering that is not a kill from your arrow. Good news perhaps is you found an area that holds some bucks :).

Muleys 24/7
09-04-2012, 08:33 PM
I could be wrong but with the hoof in the picture I'm gathering that is not a kill from your arrow. Good news perhaps is you found an area that holds some bucks :).

That's what I thought about the hoof... but then I seen the bow?:confused:

Kevin Root
09-04-2012, 08:38 PM
That's what I thought about the hoof... but then I seen the bow?:confused:

I had to look at the picture a couple times myself. Makes me want to go up this weekend to D7 though.

Red 1
09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey guys Im not sure how he died. The bow in the picture is for refrence. He is a 5X5 with a 28" main frame and 32" over all outside spread.

HuntWYODon
09-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Wicked big buck for D7 ! Great find. Maybe you'll find his bro :)

sjsmallfield
09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Wow! That is stupid big for D7. Nice find, kinda.

bigshot
09-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Man alive!!

Red 1
09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
that was my thoughts exactly I would have never gussed there were monsters in the woods of D7. Now I just have to spend more time there.

Colorado Cowboy
09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Just got back to Colorado from California and saw my hunting buddy who will be going to Wyoming with me in a few of weeks. He told me that Reds Meadows Pack Station had called him and the trail to our old hunting area west of there was closed because of too many downed trees fro a really high wind. He also said the Devils Postpile area is closed too...same reason. Looks like no deer hunt this year! The damn USFS in that area looks for any reason to close down the entry at this time of the year. They are not really very hunter friendly. Several years they wouldn't even validate our deer tags!

Red 1
09-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Ya Cali is ran by to many libs. Its a shame.

Shaun
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Just got back to Colorado from California and saw my hunting buddy who will be going to Wyoming with me in a few of weeks. He told me that Reds Meadows Pack Station had called him and the trail to our old hunting area west of there was closed because of too many downed trees fro a really high wind. He also said the Devils Postpile area is closed too...same reason. Looks like no deer hunt this year! The damn USFS in that area looks for any reason to close down the entry at this time of the year. They are not really very hunter friendly. Several years they wouldn't even validate our deer tags!

Just pack in there from edison and over " GO BIG OR GO HOME" HAHA. After huntin Colorado this year I think I am officially done with the liberals and CA besides it being a filler to atleast get up into the hills

Neal78
09-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Red, how high were you when you found that rack?

Red 1
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I was 9500' in some prety rugged country.

Colorado Cowboy
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Looks like I'll make one last D7 wilderness hunt in 2013. My Dad passed away last Friday and I want to spread some of his ashes in his favorite hunting area in the backcountry. I figured if I was going back I might as well hunt deer again. If you have seen some of my previous posts you know my family has hunted the same area since about 1940. Dad was 94 and made his last trip there on 2005 when he was 87. Pretty good that he could do the 6 to 7 hour horseback ride into camp at his age!

sjsmallfield
10-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad CC. I wish your family the best!

Colorado Cowboy
10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks sj. He had Alzheimers and recently it was pretty bad...he isn't suffering anymore and is definately in a better place.

Muleys 24/7
10-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Sorry to hear that, but like you said, he's in a better place.

Kevin Root
10-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing CC. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Red 1
10-16-2012, 02:03 AM
CC sorry to here about your father my familys prayers go out to you and your family, and there couldnt be a better place to spread his ashes.

Colorado Cowboy
10-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Thanks to everyone. My Dad also owned several duck clubs near Wister at the Salton Sea, part of his ashes will go there too.

HuntWYODon
10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
CC,
Haven't been on Forum for awhile. Very sorry to hear about you dad passing on. Pretty neat that he still did all those things at that age. He lived a good, long live and is in a better place now.
I'm still waiting for you Calif. Adventure book. from 1940 to present.
Take care

Colorado Cowboy
10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
One of my best memories is when he was 90 we hunted elk here in Colorado together, about 30 miles from my home. We had seen some fresh tracks in a new overnight snow and decided to sit the afternoon out on a real nice park. Just before dark, the elk started to come out and feed. Dad shot a really nice cow...one shot at 300 yards with his sporterized Springfield 30-06. He jumped up and down yelling like it was the first elk he had ever shot. That was his last big game hunt. Hope I can shoot an elk when I'm 90!!!

Colorado Cowboy
11-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Just got home to Colorado from California from my Dad's memorial service. There were over 200 people there, including a number of Ca. F & G people from Imperial Valley. One of them was in charge of the Hunter Safety program and said my Dad had taught over 5000 people during his 50 years as an instructor.

My cousins and several friends have a trip back to the back country in D7 for next year in the works. I'll be there too. Really looking forward to it, just to go again. If I don't get a buck that will be OK too!!

HuntWYODon
11-20-2012, 12:56 PM
That would be the real deal CC. I hope it all works out. Sounds like a blast !

Colorado Cowboy
03-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Was just looking on the Ca F & G (sorry can't used to the new name!) website and getting the lisc & deer tag system in my mind. Wow more expensive than I remember for a NR. $155+ for a lisc & 263+ for a tag. Thats almost as much as a Colorado NR elk tag. At least D7 is not a draw unit.

Muleys 24/7
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
That's funny you say that about the name, I will always call them fish and game too. It just seems weird to say fish and wildlife after calling them fish game for so many years.

HuntWYODon
03-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Moonbeam Brown's idea most likely....

Kevin Root
03-10-2013, 08:12 PM
In 1909, the name of the Board of Fish Commissioners was changed to the Fish and Game Commission. Then in 1927 the Division of Fish and Game is established, set up within the Department of Natural Resources. In 1951 the Reorganization Act elevated the Division of Fish and Game to Department of Fish and Game (DFG).

Sometimes change makes sense, other times....... not. Changing a departmental name that has held up for almost a hundred years? What was the benifit to taking the word "Game" out of the description?

Colorado Cowboy
03-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Sometimes change makes sense, other times....... not. Changing a departmental name that has held up for almost a hundred years? What was the benifit to taking the word "Game" out of the description?

To appeal (and appease) to non hunter, tree hugger, enviornmantalists. Who by the way do not fund the department, hunters & fisherman do that!!

Kevin Root
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
To appeal (and appease) to non hunter, tree hugger, enviornmantalists. Who by the way do not fund the department, hunters & fisherman do that!!

Agreed, CC the name change removing the word "Game" seems more about appeasing anti hunters to me too. Their web site notes, "Over the 143 years since our inception, the responsibilities of our department have evolved, and as of January 1,our name has changed to reflect it. Our mission has not changed."

While there has been lot of positive departmental action since it's inception in helping to conserve wildlife. Some of that departmental evolution, well not so good. Some of their mission has been changed, IMO. Politicicly being forced by the anti hunter who in not really paying their bills. It has and does keep them from being able to be effective wildlife managers as is noted in their mission statement.

Sawfish
04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Maybe it just means they are playing games with our license and tag money, since they were not doing much to improve hunting.

Colorado Cowboy
08-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Back on the subject of D7 backcountry. 3 weeks from Saturday boys......! Leaving 2 weeks from Tuesday (9-17), pack in on Thursday with 11 in camp. Only 8 hunters, the other 3 are just going to fish. (remember the pix of the Piute Cutthroat I posted!). staying a week. Taking my Dad's ashes to scatter at his favorite "honey hole".

Can't wait!!

Kevin Root
08-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Have a good time CC. Create some more awesome, great memories and I hope you will have a successful hunt and adventure.

mattdeere
08-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Good Luck CC! Looking forward to pictures and a great story upon you're return. How far are you packing in?

Colorado Cowboy
08-29-2013, 02:52 PM
It takes us between 5 1/2 & 6 hours from the pack station.

Colorado Cowboy
09-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Pulling out this am....backing in a couple of weeks.:cool:

mgriffith80
06-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Pulling out this am....backing in a couple of weeks.:cool:

CC, How was your D7 trip this last year? Your first response to this post is how I found Eastmans and have been loving this forum ever since. Hope you had a successful trip. Would love to hear about it whether you tagged out or not.

Colorado Cowboy
06-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Guess I just forgot to update....sorry.

Hunt was below par. I did not tag out. Saw several small bucks, but opted not to pull the trigger. We did see several nice bucks that were definitely shooters, but neither of my cousins connected even if the bucks were the size of moose. They aren't great shots! They just made a lot of noise and wasted ammunition.

We did have a lot of fun and got my dad's ashes scattered in his favorite place, which was I really went for.

mgriffith80
06-16-2014, 12:50 PM
We did have a lot of fun and got my dad's ashes scattered in his favorite place, which was I really went for.

Well, minus bringing home a D7 buck, sounds like it was a successful trip. Did you hunt that same area West of Devils Post pile?

Last year I back packed in about 14 miles from Edison and saw only a couple does and fawns. I am hell bent of getting out early and often this year and bringing home a hard earned California buck.

Colorado Cowboy
06-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Yes, same area we have hunted for 60+ years. I really didn't get to hunt as hard as I would have liked to. I pulled a muscle in my thigh stepping over a log. The really big wind storm they had several years back really raised hell with the timber. It looks like a war zone, huge downed trees everywhere. makes it really hard to hunt. They said there was winds up to 175 mph, really devastated the forest.
Deer are still there, just have to work hard for them.