PDA

View Full Version : Non-res hunting???

Muleys 24/7
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm trying to grab points for the first time, in NV this year and it seems to be a pain in the a**. Maybe someone with exp can help me out.

I tryed online but it's not so easy, like the other states,....When applying for the first time do you have to submit the app by mail? And do you have to submit a copy of my hunters ed card from CA?

I printed out the non-res app and I noticed there is no option for deer point? Just antelope,Nelson(desert) sheep,CA bighorn,Elk and Mt. goat points, but no deer point. Can you not buy a deer point?

Do you have to enter a hunt code for points only, for each speices?

Any help would be appicated, thanks

Drhorsepower
03-27-2012, 07:46 PM
I think if you fax them your hunters safety they can put it in the computer and it takes a week or so. Then you should be able to do it online. Call them and find out. I'm fairly positive you can do deer point only. Make sure you buy a license or you will not receive points. Isn't that right ikic!!!! :)

Nevada I'm a resident in, and it is still the most expensive state to apply!

packer58
03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes you can purchace a deer point only, however to purchase a point you must buy a hunting liesence.

Give Nevada Division Of Wildlife a call tomorrow, have your hunters safety number ready. They need your number in thier system before you can apply for the first time

Musket Man
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
There is a form you have to fill out and mail of fax in for proof of hunters education and it has to be to them and in their system before you can buy a hunting license and apply for tags/points. I believe there is a code for points only for each species and each hunt has a 3 digit code as well. You have to look the codes up before filling out the app. Its not to bad once you figure it out.

Ikeepitcold
03-27-2012, 07:55 PM
That weird. I've helped my step son put in for the draw from Ca before and didn't have any problems. So you fill out the blank application, you will see it asks if your res or not. I should ask for you hunters safety card number on the next page. I'm not sure about the bonus point for deer but it would seem odd to me that you wouldn't be able to. As far as buying the points when you get through the app process you will go to a page that lists the species. Select the one you want and at the top of the next page for that animal you will see buy a bonus point only.

I opened the application page and it asked for your hunter Ed number at the top?

I hope this helps

I just confirmed you do have to fax or mail in your outta state hunters Ed card in to be entered in to the system.

Ikeepitcold
03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I think if you fax them your hunters safety they can put it in the computer and it takes a week or so. Then you should be able to do it online. Call them and find out. I'm fairly positive you can do deer point only. Make sure you buy a license or you will not receive points. Isn't that right ikic!!!! :)

Nevada I'm a resident in, and it is still the most expensive state to apply!

OUCH Dr!!!!!!! My wife just about cut me off when I told her what happen!!! Ya BUY the license NOT purchase a license only if you draw a tag. If you choose to buy if you draw a tag and don't you WILL NOT gain preference points for next year.

I screwed her outta 3 years of points :-( looser!

Musket Man
03-27-2012, 08:02 PM
This will be my 3rd year applying in NV. I remember the first year I had to send them proof of hunters ed first. Maybe they have changed it now?

Muleys 24/7
03-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok, I started reading into the hunting booklet a little....I should have done this first! I never hit a road block like this before when applying in other states. New for 2012 I think...non-res hunters that have not applyed with NV before must submit proof of hunters ed.
It also shows point only codes for all speices even deer when submitting online app. but it's weird because when I printed out a mail-in app there was no deer option? And yes everyones right about buying the licence for points only. Thanks

packer58
03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Wow....In a little over 30 minutes you got 6 responces. Most law enforcement agencies can't respond that fast :D

Muleys 24/7
03-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Wow....In a little over 30 minutes you got 6 responces. Most law enforcement agencies can't respond that fast :D
Haha, no kidding!

Ikeepitcold
03-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Hey Packer this is kind of a big deal!!!! Hahahha

hardstalk
03-28-2012, 06:22 AM
I chose buy a license only if successful in draw for the first time this year. And applied for every species as I do every year. I'm a resident and was unaware of this I did it for both my wife and myself I'm going to have to call and do some butt kissin. Where do they explain details of this rule? I thought if your unsuccessful in a draw you are still issued a b.p? (sorry to hijak the thread a bit but I'm learning quite a bit from your posts)

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2012, 08:36 AM
I chose buy a license only if successful in draw for the first time this year. And applied for every species as I do every year. I'm a resident and was unaware of this I did it for both my wife and myself I'm going to have to call and do some butt kissin. Where do they explain details of this rule? I thought if your unsuccessful in a draw you are still issued a b.p? (sorry to hijak the thread a bit but I'm learning quite a bit from your posts)

When your going through the process and your picking your 5 hunt areas it's says it at the upper part of the page just above the unit numbers.

ChadH
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm glad this thread got started. i am starting to put in for Nevada Antelope and Mulies this year. So, I don't have the book in front of me, how much is the NR license? Are you charged for the tag only if you are drawn, or up front the whole amount?

packer58
03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
See link below for the current 2012 Nevada regs.

http://www.ndow.org/law/regs/huntregs/appbro/2012_BG_App.pdf

Muleys 24/7
03-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I called NV fish and game this morning and they told me I need to fax over a piece of paper with a copy of my hunter ed completion certificate, and the following info: Name,Address, Birth date, SS# and day time ph#. After they recieve your info they will input it with in 24 hrs, and then your good to go for applying online. The NV fax # to send your info to is (775)423-0799.

packer58
03-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Way to go Muleys 24/7..............There's no turn'n back now !!!!

Musket Man
03-28-2012, 07:24 PM
the non resident license is around $150 and $10 - 15 to apply for each species. you only pay for the tag if you draw but they charge your card as soon as you draw if you do.

Muleys 24/7
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Way to go Muleys 24/7..............There's no turn'n back now !!!!

ha ya, just another state and more deadlines to remeber. However, it'll be well worth it for some great journey's in the future.

nv-hunter
03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
point only code ABP

Muleys 24/7
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
point only code ABP for every speices?

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
for every speices?

If your applying online there is a DOT to select PP only at the top of each species. I took this off of the Huntnevada.com web site. When you get to the hunter choice page this will be at the top of the page. It doesn't show the Dots to select but you get the picture. For the sheep the point code is KBP.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Hunter
Choice # Hunt Description Unit Group Description
* * CLEAR CHOICE
KBP 3151 RESIDENT NELSON BIGHORN SHEEP
(BONUS POINT) BONUS POINT ONLY

ChadH
03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
the non resident license is around $150 and $10 - 15 to apply for each species. you only pay for the tag if you draw but they charge your card as soon as you draw if you do.
Thanks MM! I am home now, where I could look it up. I just have to call NV tomorrow and get the Hunter Saftey deal squared away.

Musket Man
03-29-2012, 12:14 AM
The form to fill out for hunters education is on the NV site somewhere and you can print it also.

Muleys 24/7
03-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I just finished up my online applying. I grabed the points I wanted and a couple dream tag tickets as well......whats the diffrance between dream tags and silver state?

Ikeepitcold
03-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Dream tags is a raffle were the silver state is a draw just like any other draw.

HuskyMusky
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
it may be a pain year 1, but hands down has the best system that I can think of.

call them and talk to someone first, you'll want to fax your info and probably call them after it's send and they can enter you in their system rather quickly. once you're approved applying is rather simple/straight forward, but of course you do have to buy that $142 non-res license just to apply for points!

it's funny when I read a state's online application is easy, then I logon and it's tricky/confusing, weird/poorly designed.

HuskyMusky
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Dream tags is a raffle were the silver state is a draw just like any other draw.

geez it really is a lottery!

pretty soon all tags will just be a raffle, sure you can buy 1 chance and get a tag, of course you can buy 1000 chances and get the tag!

I wonder what I'll do after I draw a few NV tags... keep applying? ie after I draw a elk and antelope tag do I keep building points or do I move on?

Musket Man
03-30-2012, 08:46 PM
The great thing about the NV system is you always have some chance to draw, even with no points in the hardest unit to draw. It atleast makes it a little more exciting to apply at the start!

Drhorsepower
03-30-2012, 08:57 PM
The great thing about the NV system is you always have some chance to draw, even with no points in the hardest unit to draw. It atleast makes it a little more exciting to apply at the start!

Yup! Sucks for the dudes with18 points to see a guy with 0 points to draw your tag. Double edged sword but all works out in the end!

Ikeepitcold
03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I've been on both sides of that sword my friend! It's very easy for me but I've been applying for a long time so I've seen the changes each year.

Musket Man
03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
That is true. Technically you could go your whole life and never draw either. But sooner or later your number is bound to come up! Its just discouraging in states like CO where you have no chance at all to draw without x amount of points.

Drhorsepower
03-30-2012, 09:29 PM
That is true. Technically you could go your whole life and never draw either. But sooner or later your number is bound to come up! Its just discouraging in states like CO where you have no chance at all to draw without x amount of points.

I feel ya on co. But oh how that tag would be cherished when you do.

Musket Man
03-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I have found some good areas in CO that its possible to draw the musket tag on 2nd choice and get to do some scouting/hunting while building points. So its not as bad as I first thought!