PDA

View Full Version : home made cell phone to spotter

hardstalk
03-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Has any one else conjured up a way to utilize your phone to digiscope thru your spotter? Cost me 79 cents I don't think ill be winning any photo contests but its pretty handy.(old case and a inch and a half cap) dove @ 108 yards I have not yet seen the full screen quality of the pics I'm posting this off my cell.

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2012, 01:36 PM
I've used mine before IPhone and it worked ok. I didn't go as far as building a contraption as you did. The pic of the Dove is real clear I think for a phone. Better get the patent on it ASAP!

Kevin Root
03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
108 yards on a phone. It looks pretty good to me too for a phone.

BKC
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Great idea! I would guess this would cost about $ .39 in China, throw on some freight @ $ .10 apiece to get it here and you could probably sell them for $9.99. I want in !

Bitterroot Bulls
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
The guys using the iPhone 4s and the Meopta Iscoping adapter are getting some awesome pics and video.

Kevin Root
03-28-2012, 01:57 PM
The guys using the iPhone 4s and the Meopta Iscoping adapter are getting some awesome pics and video.

Great idea! I would guess this would cost about $ .39 in China, throw on some freight @ $ .10 apiece to get it here and you could probably sell them for $9.99. I want in !

B&H Photo has the Meopta MeoPix iScoping Adapter going for $59.99. If BKC's China idea works there could perhaps be a price war coming soon to the iPhone near you.

Seriously what cool ideas and innovation is out there to utilize the tools we all carry. Just very cool indeed.

hardstalk
03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
I've researched patents before there upwards of 10k I have tons of ideas but the extra 10k not so much.. trust me the thought has crossed my mind while I was building this but I decided to post anyways or its just another million dollar idea I would be hoarding for myself. If someone does take the ball and run with it keep me in mind! I'm shooting for the current 500 million dollar pot up for grabs in the cali lottery. Bit if it doesn't pan out I'm gonna need a plan b :)

Kevin Root
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I've researched patents before there upwards of 10k I have tons of ideas but the extra 10k not so much.. trust me the thought has crossed my mind while I was building this but I decided to post anyways or its just another million dollar idea I would be hoarding for myself. If someone does take the ball and run with it keep me in mind! I'm shooting for the current 500 million dollar pot up for grabs in the cali lottery. Bit if it doesn't pan out I'm gonna need a plan b :)

If you have a ton of ideas, I'll bet you have one that will pan out in better odds than the 500 million dollar lottery. I guess you can't win unless you play. Best of luck to you in the lotto draw and thanks for sharing this idea here with us.

Hang in there with your ideas too. Sounds like you probably have more strength in those ideas that's yet to be unleashed.

"Nothing is stronger than an idea whose time has come” —Victor Hugo, 1877

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2012, 07:23 PM

I hold a couple of patents for some refrigeration tools I came up with. Look in to a design patent first then move up to the full deal if it starts to take off.

Ikeepitcold
03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Oh ya and remember you posted the pic and the idea on the forum that is dated. So if someone try's to say it was theirs first you have the proof!

Muleys 24/7
03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Here's a pic I took with my old leupold compact spotter and my droid.This yote was bedded down at 350 yards
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/2012-02-16_08-39-14_24.jpg

Kevin Root
03-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Nice picture Muleys 24/7.

hardstalk
03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
That looks much clearer than mine. I was looking at the lense on my phone and its scratched 3 ways to Sunday I've been thinking about upgrading to the I phone and after reading reviews about the I phone camera being best on the market currently for cell phones I may have to upgrade and just get 2 cases for it one for scoping and one for work. I see they have a solar case which charges the phone off sunlight what else could you want in the back country equip it with the spot app and some maps along with a solid attachment for your spotting scope and your golden.

Ikeepitcold
03-29-2012, 07:41 AM
That looks much clearer than mine. I was looking at the lense on my phone and its scratched 3 ways to Sunday I've been thinking about upgrading to the I phone and after reading reviews about the I phone camera being best on the market currently for cell phones I may have to upgrade and just get 2 cases for it one for scoping and one for work. I see they have a solar case which charges the phone off sunlight what else could you want in the back country equip it with the spot app and some maps along with a solid attachment for your spotting scope and your golden.

Wow the things these people come up with. What will be next? An app that tracks collared animals from the Fish n Game?

RobinHood
03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
What a great idea. I thought about doing something similar.

Do you have a parts list? What did you use to attach the case to? Is it just a cap for the coupler with a hole drilled in it?

Muleys 24/7
03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice picture Muleys 24/7.Thanks, that was just holding my phone directly up to the spotter with no adapter

Muleys 24/7
03-29-2012, 10:21 PM

That seems cool, but would the maps and spot app work when you have no service/internet conn.?

hardstalk
03-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Robinhood- I primed the case and cap real good to give it a good sticky surface. Cut a small piece of 3/4" pvc at an angle just a sliver basicly. As a shim to keep everything square placed it between cap and case and glued it with blue glue real good and I was worried the glue would not adhere to the case but it is as strong as a pipe to pipe connection. Then I took a bandsaw and cut half the cap off so my phone lense was as close as possible to the spotter lense. Then drilled thru the cap into the case hole for the camera with a unibit to get the right size hole. And recently(pics not shown) I bought a can of spray paint for plastic and painted it all black. Totals 4.17 cents

Muleys 24/7- I don't have an I phone but what I have researched there are some good map apps that you can upload maps and take screenshots or save the area to reference when out of service. And the spot app does work out of service and does everything the spot handheld does Apple and spot teamed up to create the app.