PDA

View Full Version : CRazy Mtns no longer available to non-residents for goat!?

HuskyMusky
04-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Why on earth did MT do this to us?

MT why don't you fix your problems before you start creating more!

I'm guessing so MT residents can draw more tags more easily.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-03-2012, 04:56 PM
MT has rotated non-resident eligible units for years. The crazies are often in the rotation rather than out, due to the high numbers of tags available. This year they are out, but next year they will probably be back in.

Stringmusic
04-03-2012, 06:06 PM
There are no elk left in the crazies anyway:D Oops! I did not notice which forum this was in. There are no goat either.

Doe Nob
04-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Where do you see which ones they will have non-res tags for? All the proclamation says is "they may change when final quotas are set in June." I already turned in an app with that unit on it because it has the most tags. Son of a....

Bitterroot Bulls
04-04-2012, 06:35 AM
The open units are on the paper Non Resident MSG application. Doe Nob, you need to call MT FWP, and see what (if anything) can be done. I am not sure you can even collect a bonus point unless you put in for an open unit.

Doe Nob
04-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks, I'll check into it. I applied online for sheep last year, this is my first year to apply for goat and moose. I did get the paper book in the mail about a week after I put in online. I'll see what I can do, but seems to be to be a glitch in the system if I can pay for a tag that's not available...:(

HuskyMusky
04-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I'll probably just end up gaining a point this year and applying for the best/toughest unit making the odds even worse for those hunters out there who actually want to draw that tag.

I thought they only rotated sheep units, didn't know goat did too, what about moose?

HuskyMusky
04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I guess with my desert sheep tag coming this year I honestly don't need a goat tag as well ;)

Bitterroot Bulls
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I'll probably just end up gaining a point this year and applying for the best/toughest unit making the odds even worse for those hunters out there who actually want to draw that tag.

I thought they only rotated sheep units, didn't know goat did too, what about moose?

Not a bad idea. you never know, you could draw that Bridgers goat tag!

Moose rotates as well.

Doe Nob
04-04-2012, 04:24 PM
So glad I called!

Moose district 105-00 shows as available on the app, its actually 105-20.

Double check the latest online info

Bitterroot Bulls
04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Good info, Doe Nob!

Something to think about is that this misinformation may make that the best NR draw odd unit.

SHHHH..... (finger to lips)

HuskyMusky
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
So glad I called!

The paperwork they sent to non residents is NOT ACCURATE. The crazies IS available for goat.

Also, moose district 105-00 shows as available on the app, its actually 105-120.

Double check the latest online info at:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=55063

to see what units are available for non-residents!

Way to go MT, ppssshshhh

Doe Nob
04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
SHHHH..... (finger to lips)

Good point, radio silence initiated.....:cool:

Umpqua Hunter
04-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Why on earth did MT do this to us?

MT why don't you fix your problems before you start creating more!

I'm guessing so MT residents can draw more tags more easily.

It turns out that there was an error in the original non-resident application form. The mountain goat hunt in the Crazy Mountains IS available to non-residents this year (Hunt number 313-00). There is an updated application form now available on-line at:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=55063

I understand if you apply on-line you can apply for hunt 313-00 as well.

What is the trophy quality like in the Crazies? I took an 8" goat many years ago in Colorado. If I ever hunt mountain goat again, I would like to hunt self guided, in a unit with good access and high success on big mature goats. I have max points in Montana and have only been applying in the hardest to draw units like Bridgers and Square Butte.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
There are nine and ten inch billies in the Crazies.

If you are looking to book a goat in MT, the areas you have been applying for are the ones, UH.

Umpqua Hunter
04-23-2012, 02:51 PM
There are nine and ten inch billies in the Crazies.

If you are looking to book a goat in MT, the areas you have been applying for are the ones, UH.

Thanks for the confirmation BB...sounds like I'll just stay the course with those units.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
UH,

I just took a look at the record book, and there are a whole bunch of entries from Choteau and Gallatin, and not very many from Sweetgrass and Park, so yeah, I think you are on the right track ... just got to get lucky.

Umpqua Hunter
04-23-2012, 11:22 PM
UH,

I just took a look at the record book, and there are a whole bunch of entries from Choteau and Gallatin, and not very many from Sweetgrass and Park, so yeah, I think you are on the right track ... just got to get lucky.

Good info BB...thanks a bunch.

phutch30
05-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I cant believe the increase in Crazy Mnt goat tags. I drew a goat tag there in 2000 and there were 13 available. Its gone from 13 to 85 in 12 years. Thats Crazy no pun intended.