PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Plans?

Edelweiss
04-06-2012, 03:35 AM
What is your plans for hunting in 2012?

Broke my tail bone and had surgery or I would be chasing fallow deer and red stags right now during the rut.

I have the 2nd two week of July booked into a top Sambar area in Victoria, but am not sure of weather or not my body will be ready.

I'll be in Hawaii for school for the 3rd week in September and then Wyoming for the next 3 weeks. I didn't know this until now so I am hoping to get a left over cow elk tag, and some pronghorn antelope doe tags. I might buy a full price whitetail tag.

My father has 12 moose points so I think this will be his year to draw a moose.

Then again he has hip replacement surgery and I am not sure he will be ripe by October. So we am kind of hoping he doesn't draw.

He just took a point for sheep.

I am just taking points for non-res sheep and moose in Wyo, points in Utah and Arizona for everything and Nevada.

I'll get Montana and Colorado sorted out next year. But I need to get with the program.

Matthoek21
04-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Archery mule deer CO. Unit 21 if I get drawn and my annual N.W. Missouri whitetail if the wife doesn't throw a fit. Oh and leaving right now to chase them GA Thunder Chickens. Need some luck this morning. Taking my 10 yr old with me.

HuskyMusky
04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
NM Desert Sheep
MT Elk (may turn back in when I draw that desert sheep tag!)

IA Deer
IL Deer

DoubleTrouble
04-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Iowa turkeys
Canada Bear
Wyoming antelope
Iowa deer (home state)
Texas hogs and exotics
New Zeland next Spring

Vanish
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Something like this...

April - Rainbow Trout
May - Colorado Spring Merriam Turkey
June - Walleye
July - Big Brookies
August - Native Greenbacks
September - ColoradoArchery Elk and Grouse
October - Colorado Rifle Pronghorn and Mule Deer
November - Nebraska Whitetails and Kokanee Salmon

Musket Man
04-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Im expecting to draw my 2nd choices in CO and WY. Muzzleloader mule deer in CO and antelope in WY. Wolves in ID and maybe WY too!

Joe Hulburt
04-06-2012, 08:17 PM
We did this one already so you might not get as many responses as you would expect. :) Here are a bunch.....

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php/1686-2012-Hunting-Goals

Ikeepitcold
04-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Wyoming antelope, Nv Mule deer, Nv Antelope, Nv Elk, Ca Black Tail, Ca Bear, Missouri White tails, Texas Fallow and Axis that's my plans I hope they turn from plans to hunts.

bigmoose
04-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Should get a California X deer tag and then a D3-5 local tag., then off to Colorado to hunt big bucks! (I hope)

CoHiCntry
04-07-2012, 12:18 PM
I'll let you now once more draw results start coming out. :D

sjsmallfield
04-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Here's my list:
Mar.-May CA turkey (1 down 2 to go)
Aug. CA archery blacktail
Sept. Hopefully WY antelope
End Sept. CA rifle blacktail (I hop I'm out of tags though!)

fortgeorgetaxidermy
04-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Colorado backcountry wilderness above timberline along divide with stick and string....if draw goes as planned.
Deer
Elk
Bear
Ewe Sheep
Cameraman Brian Hawes From SmokinBulls

Then...
Oct. Utah Archery Bear (Maybe)
Oct. Late CA Rifle Blacktail
Nov Ft. Sill Archery Whitetail
Jan. Ft. Huachuca Archery Coues

+Wife
Ft. Carson Archery Deer
Ft. Carson Archery Elk
Just ordered her Hoyt Rampage Vixen 50lb

brooks
04-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Wyoming elk for sure, already got the tag. Kansas whitetail for sure. I'd really like to chase a mt. lion on horse back with hounds somewhere.

BOHNTR
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Looks like I'll be bowhunting mule deer above timberline in August and chasing bugling bull elk in Arizona in September. If I don't draw any coveted tags in CA (archery Tule Elk, sheep) I'll be chasing blacktails with my bow in the Golden State.

bigmoose
04-08-2012, 12:58 PM
fortgeorgetaxidermy...welcome to Eastmans! Sounds like you will be busy this fall! Good Luck!

Moose

Jeremy
04-09-2012, 07:46 AM
I put in for the NM draw for Elk, Oryx & Ibex. If all of those are a bust I will buy a cow elk permit. Already have NM land owner tags for mule deer and aoudad/barbary sheep. Will be hunting whitetails & hogs in Texas from October - December.

rsess32
04-09-2012, 10:13 AM
put in for moose in utah and a limited entry tag for the henrys!! hoping for the moose this year but will probably be archery hunting down in southern utah....

Brocka
04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Washington Wilderness for Mule Deer & Bear. Idaho for Mule Deer. Flying into the Frank Church.

MakinTracks
04-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Mule Deer in the Eagle Caps, and Sheep too if I could just find a little luck and a prayer.

NoMoreOldNo7
04-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Mulies in a pretty decent area in the Eastern Sierra's (have always drawn in the past with the number of points I have).
Antelope in Central Wyoming (100% chance based on last years numbers and my # of points)
Bull Elk in the Big Horns (unit 38) I have the tag in my hands

I'm hoping the biggest problem I have this fall is running out of freezer space

bern0134
04-11-2012, 07:37 AM
This is basically my wish list based one if I draw:
Sept: NM Bighorn Sheep and Archery Elk
Nov: NM Mule Deer

If I don't get an elk tag might head to Colorado for an over the counter elk tag or left over license. My dad and I hunted Wyoming Mule deer last year w/ no luck. Probably just buy points for us. As much hunting I wish I could do I have still wrap up my master's degree this fall as well.

quicknick
04-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Was going to try to get drawn for nevada deer with my pops this year but I'm getting married in October so It's on hold. Picked up points for utah deer and elk, nevada deer, elk, and antelope. Also putting in CA for G3(deer), Elk, Sheep, and antelope.

BKC
04-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Was going to try to get drawn for nevada deer with my pops this year but I'm getting married in October so It's on hold.

I have a hard time going hunting in Sept. because my wifes birthday is in the middle of the month. That is her birthday, not our anniversary! You might want to lay down the law right now, this would be like a prenuptial agreement with a hunting clause. :D

Vanish
04-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Was going to try to get drawn for nevada deer with my pops this year but I'm getting married in October so It's on hold.

Oh that's a major failure right there!

Thank goodness my wife hunts and we both agreed that a fall wedding / anniversary was a bad idea. :D

Timberstalker
04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Im getting married this year too! IN JULY!!! Fall wedding would be suicide for me. Congrats Quicknick

Drhorsepower
04-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Im getting married this year too! IN JULY!!! Fall wedding would be suicide for me. Congrats Quicknick

Why would do such a foolish thing? I love my wife but dang! I loved her as a girlfriend too and I was able to go hunting more! Same with you quiknip, kiss putting in for nv goodbye.

Drhorsepower
04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Alright

Nv deer
Nv elk crossing fingers
Nv sheep, goat etc.. Crossing fingers and toes and legs

If no elk tag in nv, I will go to Oregon OTC archery

Also put in for bison In Wyoming so all previous plans may go out the window but my hopes are not extremely high

packer58
04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
This is for all you young hunters.....................Two things you DON'T want to do in the fall.

#1 Get married and have an anniversary every year during hunt'n season.
#2 Have kids, you don't want birthday parties in Oct / Nov.

Trying to plan hunts around Thanksgiving is hard enough :D

Elkoholic307
04-13-2012, 07:42 PM
My plan is to draw a bull tag and shoot a lot of deer and antelope from really far away.

BKC
04-13-2012, 07:47 PM
My plan is to draw a bull tag and shoot a lot of deer and antelope from really far away.

Elkoholic, I think your tring to get under someone's skin !

In God We Trust
04-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow Elkoholic, you were one of the people stating that the thread was beat to death and then you post that.

Muleys 24/7
04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
This is for all you young hunters.....................Two things you DON'T want to do in the fall.

Ha, ya those are the rules I live by. Great advice for the ones who couldn't figure it out on their own.

Muleys 24/7
04-13-2012, 08:31 PM
As for 2012 plans-

Get drawn for utah general buck deer(I have 3 points so hopefully it'll happen)

Go to WY for a weekend and knock down a couple antelope doe for meat. Maybe draw a antelope buck tag.

Grab local tags in home state for deer and bear, and when those seasons are done hit the duck blinds to finish off the hunting season.

Forgot to mention, maybe get lucky and hit a NV dream tag for either bighorn sheep or elk:)

quicknick
04-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I feel icicles starting to grow out of my feet. Luckily she's getting into hunting herself and we already had this conversation and we don't want to put it off till spring.

I told her october is right in the middle of hunting seasons and she said she understood. I know I know things change right. We'll see what happens. She is the least high maintenance person I know and she loves when I bring meat home so I can only hope it won't be a problem in the future.

Any one have an anniversary in the fall that can give me some pointers?

sjsmallfield
04-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Any one have an anniversary in the fall that can give me some pointers?

Yeah. My anniversary is Sept. 16. Just keep doing what you do. She won't stay mad for too long or if she does oh well. Lol

Zim
04-14-2012, 07:39 PM

You made a major error in your advice. This is how it should go:

#1 Don't get married...........or at MINIMUM make sure she has a college degree and is dedicated to a solid career path. Even then you have zero guarantee.
#2 Get married and have an anniversary every year during hunt'n season.
#3 Have kids, you don't want birthday parties in Oct / Nov.

You get yourself hooked up with an entitlement queen and you are screwed for life. Take my word for it. Your dreams will be destroyed no matter how hard you work. The state will see to that, because they are only good at giving away free money, not generating it. Thus their laws will attach the parasite to you, because they want nothing to do with them! They don't want another mouth to feed on their welfare. Anyone who tells you otherwise is spreading touchy feely crapolla, has no clue, or BOTH. Get a parasite attached to you and you can forget your hunting dreams.

Zim
04-14-2012, 07:52 PM
As to my 2012 hunting plans...........I have reached the point levels (15+) in many states to draw the better tags. And with my job situation, this is my year to capitalize on some of those points. I picked many hunts I will have good chances to draw, and expect to get maybe 3 or 4 total. I only wish I knew some results before applying for others. The only one I am guaranteed for is Iowa archery whitetail. I have a slammer public land scouted out for that. Horribly NR overcrowded public land hunts here in Illinois my last 3 years forced me to Iowa. 75% of the hunters were nonresidents. What a joke. They can go climb over themselves all they like this year, fighting over the nocturnal public land bucks! They won't have me to climb over.

BKC
04-14-2012, 07:57 PM
You get yourself hooked up with an entitlement queen and you are screwed for life. Take my word for it. Your dreams will be destroyed no matter how hard you work. The state will see to that, because they are only good at giving away free money, not generating it. Thus their laws will attach the parasite to you, because they want nothing to do with them! They don't want another mouth to feed on their welfare. Anyone who tells you otherwise is spreading touchy feely crapolla, has no clue, or BOTH. Get a parasite attached to you and you can forget your hunting dreams.

Zim, For a second there I thought I accidently logged into Dr Laura's forum. Then I read your next post. I thought we had lost another one.;)

Zim
04-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Zim, For a second there I thought I accidently logged into Dr Laura's forum. Then I read your next post. I thought we had lost another one.;)

Sadly, my first post is most definitely related to hunting. An entitlement queen will cost you a world of hunting opportunities, as well as hunting experiences with your sons. The state is great at giving away hard working people's money. Advice the young guys here need to hear the truth about.

Elkoholic307
04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Elkoholic, I think your tring to get under someone's skin !

No, not at all. Those are my plans. Is this thread not titled "2012 Plans"?

AZbwhuntr
04-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Didn't draw in AZ for elk or speed goat, neither did my boys. May head to CO. for a OTC cow tag for my boys and put in for archery mule deer in Kiabab.

NorthT
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Wyoming elk and speed goat.
Iowa deer
Missouri deer, if i have time to make it.
Mississppi deer, turkery

Colorado Cowboy
07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
My pard and I drew our Wy es Antelope + 2 does each, Colorado Antelope (after 12 pts!) and a M/L cow tag here in Co. Going to Texas in the spring for turkey & hogs. Plus lots of waterfowl & upland birds this fall too here at home, Nevada & Az.

fortgeorgetaxidermy
07-24-2012, 05:56 PM
CO- Aug 15 Archery buck antelope 581, backpack timberline archery deer (as non hunter), Archery elk, Sep 16th Bighorn ewe rifle (hopefully archery), early rifle bear same unit as sheep. Oct 14-21 SD Archery deer, Jan AZ Coues....still have some slots open!

DIY or DIE

meathunter
07-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Daughter
Cow moose Draw
Deer - OTC
Elk - OTC
Wife
Cow elk
Myself
Elk - draw
Deer -OTC
Duck & Goose
Freezer filling year
All Idaho

Doe Nob
07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
16 E elk rifle with my father in New Mexico.

Have a couple weeks to burn in Sep, will be going OTC archery and mule deer in South Dakota or Nebraska. Looked at doing archery OTC CO elk, but I'm solo and don't want to spend the extra money and don't think I'd be able to get an elk out myself in the units I'm interested in. Oh well, can't be OTC tags, I'm punching everyone I can last year, ate big bowl of TAG SOUP last year on elk and deer in 2 states.

Brady
07-25-2012, 08:45 AM
No big plans for me this year except some whitetail here in Texas, I will try to hunt CO or NM muledeer next year though. I applied for points in AZ, WY, UT, NV, should have done MT and CO points also but didn't.

On the other topic, I told my soon to be fiance that we have to wait till at least Jan to get married bc I am not going to get married in hunting AND college football seasons! haha. She understands.

Old Hunter
07-25-2012, 08:55 AM
She won't after you're married. :)

dihardhunter
07-27-2012, 09:04 PM
OTC Backcountry elk in Colorado for 2 September weeks. White-tail hunting in NC, AL, and Miss.

Six-Gun
07-27-2012, 11:19 PM
-Beacuase southern Nevada has flaky hunting availability for for just about everything (didn't get drawn for royal privelege of opening weekend dove hunting for the only local area worth bothering with), I may be looking for a warmup dove hunt back in eastern Nebraska. I bought a lifetime hunt permit, waterfowl stamp and habitat stamp back when I was stationed there, so might as well use them.

-Mid-September will be the start of duck season here in Nevada. While the waterfowl hunting in the southern half of the state is relegated to very limited (and consequently overcrowded) public areas, the opening weekend will usually offer a good opportunity. The heavy pressure of theat opening weekend means (at least last season) that you won't see good hunting again until it gets cold enough to filter out the warm-weather softies who won't come out when it gets a hair below 40 degrees out this way (let a lone the 10-20 degrees below zero Midwestern storms I used to weather).

-In early October, I will be trying for mule deer with my early season any legal weapon buck tag in Nevada's 161-164 area in the south central part of the state.

-Later in October, I will be going back to Nebraska (western side this time) with my German Shorthaired Pointer pup to take him out for his first duck/pheast/quail/grouse hunt in some of the best upland game and waterfowl country in the US. Another chance to flex the lifetime permit and stamps that are looking more and more like fantastic investment. The pup is raring to go. He's a little clip of him working a hidden pheasant wing in the back yard when he was 11 weeks old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFokdXQboY

The rest of the season will be all waterfowl hunting locally in Nevada, a couple of hours north of Las Vegas.

BigT
08-02-2012, 02:48 AM
Turkey is down. (son killed it) Buddy and me are headed up to Id for 2 weeks for the screeming bulls. Then back home for the whitetails.

This is a photo of my bubbies buck he is waiting on season to open

mnhunter
08-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Should be a good fall!

Minnesota:
Whitetail (Archery & Muzzleloader)
Turkey (Archery)
Pheasant and Waterfowl
Wolf (hopefully)
(Didn't draw a Moose tag again)

Wyoming:
Mule Deer (Archery & Rifle)
Antelope (Archery & Rifle)

South Dakota:
Pheasant

marcusvdk
08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Those are the rules I got married last August and that was something I told her right of the bat was hunting is very important to me (shes from a non hunting family) and we are not getting married in the fall.

Now she talking to me about kids and the only thing i told her was we weren't going to have them born in October, November, December. :D

I figured out right away to not do those things. It can be hard enough around the holidays and work to get time to hunt don't want to add more things on top of the schedule.

Fink
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Those are the rules I got married last August and that was something I told her right of the bat was hunting is very important to me (shes from a non hunting family) and we are not getting married in the fall.

When I first met my wife, I told her "I like to hunt... Alot.. But, I like you alot too, so heres the deal: September 1 - January 31 is me time. No birthday parties (not even my own) no Halloween parties, no weddings, no nuthin except Thanksgiving day, Christmas Eve and Christmas day, and New Years eve. The rest of the year is yours to do with me as you see fit. Except the last three weeks of April, you can't have those either."

It's worked out pretty good for the past 3 years, but then, we don't have kids yet..

As far as this fall's plans:
10 days in Northern Colorado for archery elk
bow and rifle Missouri deer
then its on to teaching my Lab pup the finer points of chasing down dead greenheads in the decoys.

Ilovethewest
08-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Kids will change alot of that Fink!

October Mule deer in Wyoming. Then its back to Wisconsin for bowhunting and Gun hunting from Late-Oct to late Nov.

That is pretty much my fall. Would like to do more.....but this will do!