PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Breaks

Ikeepitcold
04-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I've used muzzle brakes on every gun I hunt with. I have the ones with out bottom ports so if I'm laying down pron the dirt won't fly up when I shoot. I've always felt that it increases accuracy due to less muzzle jump and less felt recoil. I've read many guys don't like them Because they say it makes the shot much louder then with out a brake. I think every shot is loud does it really make that much of a difference?
What's your opinion on brakes? For or against and why.
Thanx

hardstalk
04-08-2012, 12:23 PM
All for them. With the proper ear protection and safe use. You must make sure all around you are ready for your shot I've seen multiple spur of the moment shots end up with bleeding eardrums. But with the proper precautions kids and women can shoot large caliber rifles with ease. I swear by them.

Muleys 24/7
04-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I should be getting my weatherby back from the custom shop any day now, I had them install a accura-brake on my .300WBY.....they say it will have the recoil of a 30.06 now. Even when I shot deer with no brake, my ears would ring a while anyway?

Jerry
04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I love my brake! I have a BOSS on my 300 win Mag, it is very loud but makes it so much easier to shoot!
I had a 416 mag for a while and without the brake was terrible to shoot, but with the brake it was more than manageable!

Colorado Cowboy
04-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I should be getting my weatherby back from the custom shop any day now, I had them install a accura-brake on my .300WBY.....they say it will have the recoil of a 30.06 now. Even when I shot deer with no brake, my ears would ring a while anyway?
I shoot a .300 Wby custom with a MB and the recoils is really more like my 25-06 Ruger. The only time I notice the noise is at the range and even then it's not too bad with my ear muffs on.

hvfd21walker
04-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I have a 30-338 with a MB and it takes the kick down to about a 25-06 also. Im all for them.

Elkoholic307
04-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Love them. I've never understood the noise argument. I always wear ear plugs or muffs no matter what gun I'm shooting.

Old Hunter
04-09-2012, 08:46 AM
The noise problem is more for those beside you. Not so much to the shooter. I've heard some guides won't let you use a muzzle brake, because of the noise.

The Vais brake is the quietest.

hardstalk
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm not an expert by any means but I believe the ports on the m.b define the direction of the sound mine is custom by a local gunsmith and it seems to direct noise backward more than most I have heard and he also played with the crown on the tip of the brake he explained it has a bit of effect on accuracy I want to say its around 11 degrees but I may be wrong.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't care for brakes. I have had a few. The blast annoyed me most, but so did the noise. I have learned to love recoil.

Drhorsepower
04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm with bb. I don't care for brakes. Too loud, whenever I have shot an animal, I never have noticed recoil, only on the shooting bench.

Umpqua Hunter
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I shoot a Christiansen Arms 300 WSM with a muzzlebrake. The gun weighs 6.5 pounds scoped and kicks less then my .270. In the last two seasons, my wife has shot an elk, mulie and antelope with it and loves it. It is loud, that's a given.

bigshot
04-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I have muzzle brakes (Browning Boss) on two rifles and only use them for practice when my son or wifey shoot, but come huntin season they are removed!! Way too much noise to shoot without ear plugs.

Old Hunter
04-11-2012, 07:37 AM
I have muzzle brakes (Browning Boss) on two rifles and only use them for practice when my son or wifey shoot, but come huntin season they are removed!! Way too much noise to shoot without ear plugs.

Isn't any big game gun? Brake or not.

bigshot
04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Normally when I shoot my magnum or non magnum rifles in a hunting situation with no ear muffs, the muzzle blast has not affected me at all. And, believe me I have shot at a lot of game in my life time. I don't even notice the muzzle blast from Magnum caliber handguns. But, the day I shot my Browning 300WSM with BOSS for the first time in a hunting situation with no ear muffs, it literally rung my ears so bad I didn't care to shoot a second time. Even when I missed the Monster buck as he ran through the quakies in Utah. It was a very sharp pain and had to check my ears for bleeding. Maybe I'm just just a CC-lala, but man that hurt....

Old Hunter
04-12-2012, 07:38 AM
I agree about the Boss, but as someone who has hearing damage from guns. I'd like to see you protect your hearing. The damage may not be noticeable at first, but it accumulates over time until it's too late to stop it. Ringing ears all the time is not fun.

Ikeepitcold
04-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Dam bigshot that had to be miserable! I'm not familiar with the boss but there is alot of negative talk about it.

xtreme
04-12-2012, 09:16 AM
IMO the (experts) are totally wrong about the BOSS. it works, period. Someone on the forum can explain the how it works better than me but simplely it is tuning the vibrations of the barrel to the weight of the bullet. Once you find the "sweet spot" you can change bullet weights and BOSS settings in seconds. My 700 shoots 177gr RWS ID Classic ammo, the same hole every time. I found that by shooting different brands and weights of bullets. Two ways to reach the best accuracy.
I sure agree with Old Hunter about the hearing protection. What little I have left, I protect, every shot.

xtreme
04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
BTW, a BOSS and a muzzle break are two different things and a CR can be use instead of the brake to shoot the same without the increased noise and blast of a brake. An example would be a guide that requested you to not use the brake.

buckbull
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm with bb. I don't care for brakes. Too loud, whenever I have shot an animal, I never have noticed recoil, only on the shooting bench.

Exactly. Shoulder can heal, ears cannot.

Old Hunter
04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
The only brake i've ever used was the Vais. I never noticed a difference in noise. It's built different than any other brake though.

My gunsmith told me I wouldn't notice any nose increase, but I figured he was just trying to make a sale. He was right.

bigshot
04-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Yea, I do agree I need to start wearing ear muffs before I shoot during hunting situations. I shoot almost every week at least once a day the whole year. I wear a inner custom plastic ear plug, additional to the ear muffs. The reason for it, my 300 RUM kicks so hard it separates the ear muffs from my ears!!! But I still luv her...lol

The BOSS adjustment is great! and does work to make your rifle more accurate. The muzzle brake for reduced recoil can be removed and replaced with a solid piece. The rifle keeps its accuracy, just recoils like a regular rifle with no added noise. My rifles came with both brakes inside the box.
Now that I sit here typing on my laptop, I do notice a slight constant ringing in my ears, darn probably got some damage.

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 10:06 PM
In Texas they passed a low that made it legal to use a moderator/silencer/"can" while hunting.

This is how things are done in the UK and New Zealand, as well as most of Scandanavia.

I would like to see it eventually become legal globally.

We need to de-criminialize moderators though.

00BUCK
06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm mostly a hunter and not so much a target shooter. Many times you will only have seconds to get a shot off at game wich leaves no time for ear protection. I would never put a break on a hunting gun for that reason. They do make game ears wich allows u too still hear game but blocks out loud noises. Personaly, I'm not interested in another gadget but might work for some. I guess it all comes down to the primary use of the rifle.

HuskyMusky
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Will never again own one. No reason to. More negatives than positives.

brakes put more stress on scopes.

way louder!

If you can't handle the caliber/cartridge without a brake then it's too big for you in the first place!
get a recoil pad
get a synthetic stock
get a heavy gun

perhaps in a specific circumstance I'd consider it, but that's a 1% situation maybe, as of now, I'll never own another.

BKC
06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
All my firearms are bought without breaks and I shoot it and decide if it needs a break or not. The guns I have breaks on are not too big for me! If you don't like them then don't use them but don't try to tell us that our guns are too big for us in the first place!

xtreme
06-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Even my 243 WSSM has a muzzle brake. Never seen a brake on a 22-250. A brake on a 22-250 might be too xtreme. I don't always use a brake on my guns, especially hunting, but mostly for paper I use them. Muzzle breaks are a plus to get the best shot group from different factory ammo and while testing new reloads. I don't see how you could make a case against muzzle breaks, especially when a CR can be used while hunting.
The calibur I shoot was picked for several reason, mostly for the big BC, velocity, down range energy. Well said BKC.

Colorado Cowboy
06-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Will never again own one. No reason to. More negatives than positives.

brakes put more stress on scopes.

way louder!

If you can't handle the caliber/cartridge without a brake then it's too big for you in the first place!
get a recoil pad
get a synthetic stock
get a heavy gun

perhaps in a specific circumstance I'd consider it, but that's a 1% situation maybe, as of now, I'll never own another.

I have one gun with a MB on it, a .300 Wby. The ONLY disadvantage I can see is the increase in noise. Don't know where you got the statement that a MB puts more stress on a scope. Sure like to see the basis for this. IMHO MBs make a lot of sense on lightweight, heavy caliber magnum hunting rifles. It sure is a lot easier (at least for me) to do the range work developing good hunting loads. My other hunting rifles (.257 Wby Mag, 25-05, 30-06) don't have MBs and I would never consider them candidates for a MB as they really don't need one because the recoil is very manageable.

Elkoholic307
07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
I recently just braked my 300 WM. Recoil was a non-issue for me. But, whenever my wife draws a bull tag she will have a real elk rifle to take instead of a 6mm.

BobT
07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I was rolling a can around today and wishing for a brake on my .25/06, recoil is not a problem but it would have been much easier to spot for myself. The bottom of a soda can is a small target at 500 yards.

Bob

gator7275
07-16-2012, 08:07 PM
what having a rifle magna ported i called the local gun shop and reccomended having my 7 mag magna ported instead of a muzzle brake any have any insight on that ?

Ikeepitcold
07-16-2012, 11:29 PM
No. I don't think I have ever heard of it before

bigshot
07-16-2012, 11:37 PM
I had a TC Contender pistol in 30-30 cal, that was Mag-na-ported and it worked great. I believe it cut down the recoil by about 35%. They cut two small angled slits on the sides of the barrel. Its not an eye sore as a muzzle break.

BKC
07-17-2012, 08:04 AM
what having a rifle magna ported i called the local gun shop and reccomended having my 7 mag magna ported instead of a muzzle brake any have any insight on that ? I have the mag na port on my super redhawk in 44 mag. It helps a lot with muzzle jump as the gases are only exiting upward. It does not change the apperance of the barrel hardly at all and my front sights are still there. I think this is more for pistols than rifles as a true muzzle break allows the gasses to exit 360 degrees.

Old Hunter
07-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Porting won't be as effective as a muzzle brake, and it can't be removed. Which is important if you get in a situation when it can't be used.

HuntWYODon
07-18-2012, 05:03 PM
I had a magna brake installed on my 300 RUM quite awhile back. Shrunk my groups in half. Reduced recoil by about 40% like they said.
Kicks about like a .308 at most. Louder, oh yeah but I don't shoot from the bench without ear protection. You fire one shot while hunting. Deal with the ear ringing for awhile. If you have to fire more than one shot, the second shot won't bother your ears at all...
Damage already done. I too like some on here said ruined my ears at a young age shooting 44 mag pistols and 7 Rem mag rifles, etc. without protection. Constant ringing in ears and about half hearing in left ear. All from being young and ignorant. I make my son wear protection all the time. On a rifle if 4 ports were cut I believe they say it reduces recoil by 30 %. A little quieter and cleaner looking it true. My 460 S&W XVR has a factory muzzle brake on it. I would never even hunt with it without putting ear plugs in before shot if at all possible ! Shooting from a bench after 10 shots it feels like somebody slugging you in the face from the muzzle blast. Have a TC 25 Bullbery rifle barrel that was ported by them. it's a 30-30 necked to .25 cal. Kicks like a 22 mag. just those 3. Ok, I'm done now. got my 100th post.