PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting

gatheringsheds
04-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I just got the annual EHJ sheep issue . As I read through I can't help wondering why it's so popular. I understand the magnificence of a large ram. I'm also fully committed to drawing a tag in my home state of Colorado some day. To me they seem very similar to a bear or MT. Lion where people hunt them but no one talks about eating them. Do they taste good? Or will I end up feeding most of it to my dog? Why does EHJ have a whole issue dedicated to this species.? Why not a moose issue instead or goat or bear? Plus it seems rather exclusive as well.

mntnguide
04-10-2012, 10:00 AM
You obviously have never been on a sheep hunt. . Its an addiction once you start. They are an amazing animal to pursue and I assure you will not be feeding it to the dog. My sheep was one of the best meats i have eaten.

Umpqua Hunter
04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
No you don't want to ever hunt sheep....and tell your buddies that too ;-) JK You used to have an amazing sheep herd near you that wintered on the Almont Triangle, in fact I took a bighorn there in 1988. We were deer hunting there last fall and saw a big herd of ewes and a couple small rams.

Sheep hunting is awesome. I would put a Montana sheep tag in one of the top 5 units, at the very top of my most desired tags to draw in my lifetime.

Sheep are quite good eating. In the journals of Lewis and Clark, I understand sheep was their favorite meat to eat.

Jon Boy
04-10-2012, 10:27 AM
gatheringsheds, I never understood either. I mean I know guys who dam near pull there hair out right before the draws sick with anticipation of a sheep tag. Hopefully I dont get the sickness, I havent killed enough deer and elk to start a new addiction yet :)

Bitterroot Bulls
04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I would think the draw is that wild sheep are cool ... really cool.

:cool:

Timberstalker
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Beside the fact that sheep are cool animals, I liked the fact that when I hunted my ram I was the only one allowed to hunt my unit. That in itself was one of the most unique hunting experiances I have ever had, knowing I was the only guy with the sheep tag. I have been bitten by the sheep hunting bug badly, I will likely not get anoter tag, but that doesn't mean I will never go sheep hunting again. Someone I know will someday and I hope to tag along. You will understand if you ever get to hunt them. It is addicting.

Quiethunter
04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I have hunted sheep once, and been on about a dozen sheep hunts. With sheep hunting, it is all about the experience.

First of all, tags are about impossible to come by. This, combined with the majesty of a big ram and the country the live in create a situation where sheep hunts and all that they encompass create a life of their own.

Before applying, I spend a lot of time going over stats, looking at harvest reports, herd estimates, and any information I can get my hands on. I usually "know" where I am going to apply, but I do this to make sure I am not missing anything - I only have so many chances to apply in a lifetime and with extreme odds of success in drawing I need to make sure I am doing the right thing for me.

When I drew my tag in 1998, the scouting begain in earnest immediately upon finding out I had the tag. I was down at the DOW getting harvest reports for the previous 15 years. I bought maps of the area, started calling previous hunters, DOW biologists and, oh yeah CELEBRATING.
With three months between drawing and the actual hunt, I began to get in the best shape I could during the week, and spent weekends scouting. All of my friends who are sheep nuts joined in. By the time the season had rolled around I think there were about 60 man days of scouting that had gone on - and my tag was not in a premium or highly sought after unit. This unit at that time had a herd estimate of 100 sheep - I saw over 50 different rams in my scouting and too many ewes/lambs to keep count of. By the time the season rolled around I had a list of three specific rams I would consider shooting. I was in the mountains 5 days prior to opening day looking for the number one sheep with the goal of patterning him. The evening before season opened I was able to watch the ram from 100 yards and was so excited I could not sleep that night. Then, on opening day, I could not find him. I found the ones he ran with, other sheep, a full curl ram (that has a good story behing him later), but I could not find "my" ram. After 5 days, he appeared one evening on a ridge at the end of legal shooting light. The next morning I was where I had seen him last, but no luck... until my friend spotted him on another ridge, headed for timber. I used every bit of energy and endurance I had make the one mile sprint at 12,500' to get in front of him for a shot. And he was delicious.

There is really no comparison between this kind of a hunt and going after random deer, or elk for that matter.

I have a similar story from 2002 when I was priveleged to help a friend of mine in S-26 (your backyard) take a 15 year old, 39 1/2" bruiser. Sheep, sheep country and all that goes with it really get into your blood.

BKC
04-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Beside the fact that sheep are cool animals, I liked the fact that when I hunted my ram I was the only one allowed to hunt my unit. That in itself was one of the most unique hunting experiances I have ever had, knowing I was the only guy with the sheep tag. I have been bitten by the sheep hunting bug badly, I will likely not get anoter tag, but that doesn't mean I will never go sheep hunting again. Someone I know will someday and I hope to tag along. You will understand if you ever get to hunt them. It is addicting.

Gatheringsheds, I also drew the only tag in my unit. I compare it to hunting high country deer, except they hardly ever went to the trees, they never bedded unless all the rams bedded in a circle and had eyes looking 360 degrees, if they got a little snow they toughed it out ( they didn' start to move down like deer). They are a tough customer to hunt. It is addicting! I hunted during 9 11, so I had a lot to take in while I listened to the radio and glassed for sheep.

bz_711
04-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Laid eyes on my first Sheep in RMNP as a kid during vacation...always knew I wanted to bowhunt them someday.
Currently accumulating points in CO...and as a NR I know it's some long odds...but I'm only 34 and hope to hunt them in CO before the knees are gone...Luckily, High country Elk and eventually Mulies will help me pass the time:)...sure wish the Rockies were a little closer to IL.

I only get EBJ...might need to get a copy of this Sheep issue...

gatheringsheds
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Wow, thanks for all the great info. I'm looking forward to eating sheep now! Having the only tag seems like something to look forward to as well. Some of you hunted Colorado, did you use archery equipment or a rifle? When do they rut and what's the difference with their routine between archery and rifle?

bern0134
04-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I've been putting in for a sheep tag in my home state of NM for 10 years now and have yet to draw. I've only heard and read stories about sheep and sheep hunting. I heard they were great tasting and the mount in the living room is a majestic one at that. Can't wait to find out for myself.

Edelweiss
04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I would waste my time hunting with a stick for sheep, especially after I spent the time to draw a tag.

Then again I quit bowhunting in the early 1990s, and unless some strange law keeps me from rifles I won't bowhunt again. I might end up with a crossbow if things are favorable, but I doubt it.

An unused sheep tag is liking paying a $20,000 high dollar prostitute for her nightly services, and then making her sleep in the truck.

hardstalk
04-11-2012, 06:35 PM
The "sheep" industry itself is huge! I always pictured it as a rich man's sport after hearing what a Marco polo tag goes for and the price some guys pay for governers tags. But I picked up a issue of the wild sheep foundation mag. And it really opened my eyes guys that are addicted to hunting sheep will sell their cars home and kids to feed the need. And after being blessed with the oppurtunity to tag along on a sheep hunt it all came together. Besides the fact we all want what we can't have ex. (a sheep tag). It's a truly different style of hunting that lasts all day! No down time. no naps in the afternoon. At least that was my experience. Now I hope and pray to draw a tag of my own every season.

Jon Boy
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I would waste my time hunting with a stick for sheep, especially after I spent the time to draw a tag.

Then again I quit bowhunting in the early 1990s, and unless some strange law keeps me from rifles I won't bowhunt again. I might end up with a crossbow if things are favorable, but I doubt it.

And thats what separates the boys from men haha :)

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Yep little boys wound game with a bow and responsible rifle hunters kill them like men. :)

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 04:17 AM
The "sheep" industry itself is huge! I always pictured it as a rich man's sport after hearing what a Marco polo tag goes for and the price some guys pay for governers tags. But I picked up a issue of the wild sheep foundation mag. And it really opened my eyes guys that are addicted to hunting sheep will sell their cars home and kids to feed the need. And after being blessed with the oppurtunity to tag along on a sheep hunt it all came together. Besides the fact we all want what we can't have ex. (a sheep tag). It's a truly different style of hunting that lasts all day! No down time. no naps in the afternoon. At least that was my experience. Now I hope and pray to draw a tag of my own every season.

I have personally owned 3 sheep tags, 2 NM Aoudad tags, and an Alaska TMU tag from a few years ago. None got filled. I have also been on 2 unsuccessful ibex hunts. Nothing worse than sheep fever.

Ikeepitcold
04-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Sheep are on my list but I'll take a mule deer hunt over anything.

Fish
04-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Its real hard for me to get fired up about sheep hunting here in WA. With the draw odds so low, you have a better chance to hit the Lotto. Then again, I've seen enought sheep in WA while chukar hunting and driving the back roads that I will get all fired up when and if I ever daw a tag for them.
But like Keepitcold, I rather have 3 or 4 mule deer hunts in limited draw trophy areas than one sheep hunt before I pass on. Hunting big mule deer can get just as addictive , at least for me.
I drew a WA goat tag in 1992 and that may be as close to a sheep hunting experience as I will get, especially at age 62.
Good luck to all those who apply for sheep in difference states every year. I really enjoy reading your stories about your hunt.

Vanish
04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
My wife and I started applying here in Colorado this year. Let the process begin! I can't imagine applying out of state ... rich man's sport indeed.

Ridgerunner
04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Its hard to believe until you've had a sheep tag, but once you do the fever is real, unfortunately there is no real known cure, other than another sheep hunt.

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Responsible-Having an obligation to do something as part of a job or role.

Man- An adult human male.

I know the dictionary doesn't spell it out but a responsible man doesn't critize other sportsman with alike beliefs and thoughts for using other applicable means of weapons and styles to take big game. It may spell it out in the book of common sense but I don't have that book with me at the moment.

Responsible: An obligation to do something? You mean like not wound an animal, right?

I quit bowhunting because the more I did it, the more I could see it was just a matter of time before I screwed things up and wounded and lost an animal. I was a traditional Archer, but it wasn't about that, it was about spending time outdoors.

I know a lot of rifle hunters that don't practice very much, and get through a lot of seasons without wounding an animal. They can get away with it, technology (albeit from the 1850s) is on their side.

With Archery the amount of practice and personal responsibility a guy has to have is huge. I am tired of watching archers wound animals on TV, only to find them 3 days later. That animal suffered, and it shows a huge sense of irresponsibility on the part of the hunter that he or she shot at the animal in the first place if they didn't have a 90% chance of killing the animal.

Responsibility is all about obligation, obligation to the animal that it doesn't suffer, responsibility to the hunting community that we are not portrayed as slobs, and more than anything else personal responsibility to ourselves that when someone shouldn't be bowhunting they aren't allowed to.

Modern Bowhunting is not the "Zen of Hunting", it's not pure, considering that crossbows have been on this planet for fully 500 years longer than compounds, it's not even traditional. I have a lot of respect for archers that don recurves and longbows, but everyone needs to take a step back and rethink what is going on here.

The Archery community seems to think it is ok to wound and loose an animal, and that is a complete 180 from responsible game management.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
This has nowhere to go but downhill guys.

NDHunter
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Responsible: An obligation to do something? You mean like not wound an animal, right?

I quit bowhunting because the more I did it, the more I could see it was just a matter of time before I screwed things up and wounded and lost an animal. I was a traditional Archer, but it wasn't about that, it was about spending time outdoors.

I know a lot of rifle hunters that don't practice very much, and get through a lot of seasons without wounding an animal. They can get away with it, technology (albeit from the 1850s) is on their side.

With Archery the amount of practice and personal responsibility a guy has to have is huge. I am tired of watching archers wound animals on TV, only to find them 3 days later. That animal suffered, and it shows a huge sense of irresponsibility on the part of the hunter that he or she shot at the animal in the first place if they didn't have a 90% chance of killing the animal.

Responsibility is all about obligation, obligation to the animal that it doesn't suffer, responsibility to the hunting community that we are not portrayed as slobs, and more than anything else personal responsibility to ourselves that when someone shouldn't be bowhunting they aren't allowed to.

Modern Bowhunting is not the "Zen of Hunting", it's not pure, considering that crossbows have been on this planet for fully 500 years longer than compounds, it's not even traditional. I have a lot of respect for archers that don recurves and longbows, but everyone needs to take a step back and rethink what is going on here.

The Archery community seems to think it is ok to wound and loose an animal, and that is a complete 180 from responsible game management.

If you guys want to have a pissing match, start your own thread or send each other PM's.

Jon Boy
04-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Agreed. Didnt think my little crack at humor would get people so riled up.

6mm Remington
04-12-2012, 07:20 PM
You just have to ignore him, hard as it seems. He was just booted of another forum and this post of his looks like it was just copied and pasted to the letter. Not worth the trouble! The folks running that one ran him off.
David

Jon Boy just to clarify, I did not even see your post. I was commenting on that other person's post that kind of started this avalanche.
David

6mm Remington
04-12-2012, 07:28 PM
My buddies ram in upper Rock Creek. 39 1/2 x 40 1/2 181 2/8 B&C It was an awesome hunt and he was wonderful eating.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/Outdoorshots025.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/Outdoorshots024.jpg

Taken from the herd near Anaconda a few years back. Scores over 200 B&C and is 46" x 49" Yes that is correct, he is almost 50" in length on his long side! He flares out like a Dall or Marco Polo ram and is beautiful.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/Outdoorshots023.jpg

Hope you like. I want to go!
David

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 07:38 PM
You just have to ignore him, hard as it seems. He was just booted of another forum and this post of his looks like it was just copied and pasted to the letter. Not worth the trouble! The folks running that one ran him off.
David

Jon Boy just to clarify, I did not even see your post. I was commenting on that other person's post that kind of started this avalanche.
David

Where was I booted from?

BKC
04-12-2012, 07:39 PM
6mm, now we're talking! Way to turn this thread around in a hurry. This is what the big draw on sheep is all about, Congrats

Muleys 24/7
04-12-2012, 08:00 PM
6mm, awsome sheep! I can only dream of the day I get the sheep hunt of a lifetime.

hardstalk
04-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Sorry guys. I should have not of fueled the fire and big apology to gatheringsheds. Great thread.

Drhorsepower
04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Sheep are on my list but I'll take a mule deer hunt over anything.

I'm with you ikic, I'd take a quality mule deer hunt over just about anything, when my dad goes antelope hunting with me, he has to lower my spotting scope off the top of the mountain, refocus me.

I put in for sheep in 4 states, I haven't caught the sheep bug, when I do, uh oh.... Same as elk hunting, I apply with no luck. I can't wait.

As for the other topic, Let's not argue about ewww killed ewww, its supposed to be an appy occasion!
What movie?

6mm Remington
04-12-2012, 08:52 PM
This will really get the blood pumping guys. The ram is the world record scoring Bighorn from Alberta and the mule deer is the World record from Colorado. I heard a couple guys say that those big buck sure get a guy, well both of these should grab you!

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/MissoulaFlavor011.jpg

6mm Remington
04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I should have put this one up there. Okay you are walking along looking for that really big ............ fill in the blank and you come upon this................in your dreams! Which one is your huckleberry? Oh so tough. They are each amazing. These are all current B&C World Records in their respective categories! Dall Sheep, Bighorn, Mule Deer typical, Whitetail typical, Stone sheep, and Pronghorn antelope. I just thought you guys might enjoy seeing this picture!

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/MissoulaFlavor007.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/MissoulaFlavor012.jpg

I hope this brought us back to drooling and dreaming, and that's what it is all about!

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 09:43 PM
If that is the Chadwick ram, then I think he wins hands down.

No one has killed many Dalls like that guy either.

There have been lots of huge bighorns killed in Montana and Alberta, and the Genetics are there. So while he's not the easiest to get he's do able.

I don't think anyone will ever kill another ram like the Chadwick ram.

As for being booted off another forum, I have only posted on Accuratereloading, BlaserPro, Snipershide, and some trapping forums and never been booted anywhere.

I am not anti-bowhunting, just pissed off by the lack of responsibility of bowhunters on TV, and "for a few select ones" real life. And I am not going to let someone tell me that bowhunting is the zen or e-ching of our sport, when I personally believe that select few are part of the problem. No different than people who wound game and log range, when they shouldn't have taken a shot in the first place, because they can't read wind.

6mm Remington
04-15-2012, 05:15 PM
That is in fact the Chadwick ram. They all are amazing. I have another picture of that Montana ram with the 49" long horn. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/Sheep003.jpg

My buddies ram that was 40 1/2" on the long side is dwarfed by the monster above his.
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/davidwalrod/Sheep005.jpg

tim
04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
I love sheep hunting. It is just addictive. However, why do i love it. Well i love the mountains, more than anything.
The grand slam of wild sheep will take me to the mountains of north america. and the meat is outstanding.

tim
04-18-2012, 06:45 PM
I am by no means rich. But when the opportunity strikes i take it. I won some money a couple of years ago. And when asked what i was going to do with the money i won. In my best disneyland voice : "I am going sheep hunting"
they just looked at me.

6mm Remington
04-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Good for you, you cannot take the $$$ with you when you go!

Fink
04-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I am not anti-bowhunting, just pissed off by the lack of responsibility of bowhunters on TV, and "for a few select ones" real life. And I am not going to let someone tell me that bowhunting is the zen or e-ching of our sport, when I personally believe that select few are part of the problem. No different than people who wound game and log range, when they shouldn't have taken a shot in the first place, because they can't read wind.

Guys that pick apart, and play class warfare with our small community are the real problem. Whether we hunt with a traditional bow, a compound bow, a cross bow, or a big bore, we ALL owe it to the animal to give it our best, and make the most ethical decision possible.

squirrel
04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about chowing on sheep if I were you. I've gotten 4 and 3 were pretty much flat out nasty, the 4th was an above treeling Wy ram that was ok- but I'd still reach for elk any day of the week. Now with that aside the hnt for sheep is great the animal is amazing and the country some of them live in is stunning (some are glorified desert- not that special) Their eyes make them an especially challenging bow quarry- especially if they are in groups. Second only to bird eyes if you ask me.

fish84437
05-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Have any of you guys researched the "unlimited tag" units in Southwestern Montana (down near Yellowstone)? Is that something worth trying or would you consider it a waste of time, effort, and money?

huntin_fool01
05-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Been a big fan of the big horn since I was a kid. Never been on a hunt for one, I know 2 guys from Colorado that each got theres(one with a long bow the other with a Weatherby). I have been applying for 14 years in Colorado. Hopefully someday I get lucky and get drawn.