PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Dubois wy. Help

crumy
04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
I am most likely heading to Dubois area 67 68 to bow hunt this year if I don't draw the area I want. I live in laramie Any suggestions on where to go or things to consider beside the bears.

Thanks for your help in advance

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
There are a absolute ton of people up there opening weekend, but wait 2 weeks and you should have it to yourself.

Not horrible for bears, but bears are a pain in the ass anywhere.

crumy
04-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Any suggestions on where to go? I am going to head up there this summer and look around just to get familiar with the area.

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Lots of small areas, and with any weather the elk move a lot. These elk migrate both to Jackson and down to the big ranches near Dubois.

Lets put it this way, I have never been there where we didn't see at least a couple shooter bulls. Getting on them? Well they get hunted hard, and of course wolves, bears, mt lions and so on.

I don't have any secrets spots as it changes all the time. Elk are not whitetails.

crumy
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I hear you about elks not being whitetails. I am lived in Ohio for 19 years and moved out west 6 years ago. Moved to wyoming 3 years ago. Before moving out here I always hunted out of a tree and shot deer at 20-30 yards with my bow. I will just head out an try to get to know the area. Thanks for the replies.. jim

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Not a problem, it's damn near all public land, so put boots on the ground and get after it.

Kind of wierd, but I was riding my four wheeler down this draw one morning on the way back to camp and got stampeeded by a huge herd of pronghorns. Would have never thought they would be up there in the timber. I bet they have huge winter kills.

crumy
04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
that is a little strange. I don't know much about antelope but I didn't think they got off the plains. This winter has been extremely mild. as long as we don't get any big spring storms I am hopeful that everybody will come back strong after last year.

Edelweiss
04-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Nope there is a herd of antelope up there on Union Pass, weird deal.