PDA

View Full Version : My biggest cali bear

bigshot
04-12-2012, 10:44 PM

I was placing current photos in my album and came across a picture of one of my biggest bears I took with my hounds. It measured 8'2" from tip of nose to base of tail. The bear weighed approximately 700+ lbs. I know because we took a bear the week before that was much smaller and weighed a certified 680 lbs. This bear would not tree and I had to shoot him on the ground. The bear was taken in the San Bernardino Mtns in southern cali.

Anyone want to share their bear photos, new or old. Sorry the picture is not the best, I took a photo of a picture from my album with my cell phone. We didn't have these smart phones back when this bear was taken...

Edelweiss
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Holy crap, what do you think he lived on? Was he a vinyard or orchard bear?

bigshot
04-12-2012, 11:01 PM
He was an acorn and a trash bear, probably ate all kinds of junk food provided by weekenders (lol). My dogs brought him to bay only a few miles from a mountain town. To be honest now that I think about it, all the big bears we got after were always started within a couple miles of a town.

Grantbvfd
04-12-2012, 11:21 PM
What a toad

BOHNTR
04-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Here's one my hunting partner arrowed last year in Los Angeles County......this was a big bear. I'll have to dig up a photo of a bear I arrowed in the 90's.

Kevin Root
04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Wow those are some big bears, BOHNTR and bigshot!

Ikeepitcold
04-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Dam those are some bombers for sure!

bigshot
04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
That is a nice bear Bohnter.

Drhorsepower
04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/chevypoweredracer/ac710cff.jpg

Here is a bear my dad treed that a friend took the photo and put it on canvas. When I find the original I will scan it.

The original is way better.

I have a ton of ca bear photos I just need to scan em.

BossBrott
04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Lots of bears up here in Colfax too. Killed a 600 pounder on the front deck a few years ago, only to have another one in the same exact spot 1 week later. They sure are thick nowadays.

packer58
04-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey bigshot, that has got to be the biggest blacky I have ever seen...........very nice.

Muleys 24/7
04-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Bigshot ,Nice socal bear, did he have white on his chest?

RUTTIN
04-13-2012, 07:36 PM
That is a big punkin head, thanks for sharing the pics guys.

bigshot
04-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Here is a picture of the same bear, just a different pose with one of my huntin buddies that joined me on this hunt.

Hey DrHorsePower, that is a cool painting of the dogs under a bear tree. I have similar water color paintings of my top hounds.

Muley24/7, the bear had no white, he was a solid choclate. The white spots you see in the picture are thin areas of hair or rub spots.

Muleys 24/7
04-13-2012, 10:29 PM
about the white chest..... I've seen a couple while deer hunting up there and they all had white chests and a cinnamon color like Bohntr's buddys, but every time I bump into one they always have small cubs! One day I'll get one. Is that a record for the san bernadino mts.?

bigshot
04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Yea most bears we take in southern cali have a lot of white on their chest and are either brown or cinamon. A "black," bear or a bear with no white on its chest is rare down here. The bear in the photos would have made the all time BC book. I believe his skull scored 21 12/16. I had him scored and mailed in the paper work to BC, they cashed my check and never gave me a response. I been meaning to call them, but never got a round tuit. The bears weight (700+) was an estimate, because he was killed too far from a road to carry out whole.

HuntWYODon
06-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Hey bigshot,
That a San Berdo toad alright ! Big as a grizzly .They take some big ones out of there. I could be wrong but I remember years ago an 800 pounder??? came out of I wont say where. More pictures please ! I used to see blonde, red, brown and black in an area I used to back pack into that you and Muley's know about. I have a pic of a blonde sow with two blonde cubs that maybe I can get you or Muleys to post.

bigshot
06-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Here some more big bear pictures from my photo album.....all bears were taken from the San Bernardino Mtns

bigshot
06-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Here are a couple more from San Bernadino Mtns

sjsmallfield
06-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Impressive collection! Those are some awesome bears. Congrats!

Sawfish
06-17-2013, 02:03 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/chevypoweredracer/ac710cff.jpg

Here is a bear my dad treed that a friend took the photo and put it on canvas. When I find the original I will scan it.

The original is way better. I have a ton of ca bear photos I just need to scan em.

The way the reflection of the window blinds falls on the picture, looks like a brick wall merging into a tree trunk. Some times, I am sure the hounds feel like it is a brick wall. Very cool, although unintended, visual effect. Great picture.

Sawfish
06-17-2013, 02:42 PM

I killed this bear in 2005 in Trinity County. My fellow hunters (houndsmen) were thoroughly "ticked" off at me, as I turned down 5 bears over three days before shooting this one. Green score was 20 3/16", but after drying (and boiling!!) by taxidermist, the final measurement was 19 15/16". At that time, this was the SCI #10 Inland Black Bear taken with a handgun. We had to carry him out in pieces, which always seems to be the rule for me, as I never find the one that trees "right next to the road". At any rate, the estimated live weight was 550-600 lbs. He was a bear of "good taste".

bigshot
06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Good looking bear sawfish, I like them black ones, they make good looking rugs.

Muleys 24/7
06-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Very nice bear sawfish, I hope to take one with a handgun some day too

Sawfish
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Good looking bear sawfish, I like them black ones, they make good looking rugs.

They sure do! I have two that have been rugged, and this bear was done as a full mount. Have a nice blonde bear (Shasta County)hide in the freezer (tanned) that I will do something with in the future.

Sawfish
06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Very nice bear sawfish, I hope to take one with a handgun some day too

I will tell you the 100% truth. If you carry a rifle (along with your handgun) when you are hunting, and hope to get a shot with your handgun, it is probably not going to happen. I did that for years on various hunts. I wore my old Super Blackhawk almost shiny, but never fired a shot through the pistol. Dealing with a rifle when game is spotted, while trying to access your handgun, is just too cumbersome. I never killed anything with a handgun (other than small game) when I had my rifle. Lack of confidence in handgun shooting skills, as well as the comfortable crutch of the rifle, prey on human frailties. I left my rifle at home fifteen years ago, and have hunted exclusively with my handguns ever since.

Although it no longer matters (in this state), my one exception would be when hunting bear with hounds. I grew up hunting deer with my Uncles in the Louisiana swamps. Most of them were houndsmen, so I understand the value and importance of a good hunting dog. At the option of the houndsman, I would use a rifle to ensure the bear was dead when it hit the ground, in order to avoid injury to the dogs. Thankfully, the guys that I hunted with when I killed this bear were confident in my handgunning skills, and I did not let them down.

N.Y.ArcheryMadMan
06-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Know thats a Bear..... Nice BEAR......

HuntWYODon
06-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Those be some biggin's for sure !