PDA

View Full Version : Rutting rifle elk?

Edelweiss
04-15-2012, 07:56 AM
I have heard Mike allude to units outside the wilderness areas of Wyoming that have rut rifle hunts.

Does anyone know what states and areas those are?

I gratefully appreciate any knowledge you pass.

buckbull
04-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I know this isn't the response your looking for but in 2010 in the big horns of wyoming during rifle season the bulls were still bugling. It was unseasonablly warm during that mid October hunt so I think the bulls were confused and thought the rut was still going on.

Of course, many states have muzzeloading rifle seasons that are closer to the rut than centerfire rifle.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I believe Mike was referring to the Thoroughfare Wilderness hunt. I don't think it is what it once was. I have heard some good things about the rut rifle hunt in the Scapegoat Wilderness in MT, however.

RUTTIN
04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Utah's rifle hunt starts early enough that you can get into bulls that are still bugling.

IdahoHombre
04-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Idaho's general rut rifle hunts are pretty much in wilderness areas, but those zones are not 100% wilderness, and there is some access to them by vehicle.

All other hunts during the rut are controlled hunts, and are obviously pretty hard to draw. Idaho doesn't use preference points, so you always have a chance!

Umpqua Hunter
04-16-2012, 01:19 PM
I believe nearly every western state has a certain number of firearm (rifle or muzzleloader) hunts during the rut. I am aware firearm rut hunts in Oregon, Nevada, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. Of course these are pretty tough to draw.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-16-2012, 02:05 PM
UH,

MT has three units with general tag, rifle rut hunts as well. You draw a general license, you can hunt them.

Edelweiss
04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Idaho's general rut rifle hunts are pretty much in wilderness areas, but those zones are not 100% wilderness, and there is some access to them by vehicle.

All other hunts during the rut are controlled hunts, and are obviously pretty hard to draw. Idaho doesn't use preference points, so you always have a chance!

The hard part about Idaho, is that as a non-resident I can only apply for 1 species. So Idaho is not in my elk vocabulary. At least I can apply for mountain goat, antelope and deer.

mntnguide
04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
In Idaho, If you choose a trophy species (moose,goat,or sheep) you only get to put in for that specie. If you dont put in for a moose, goat, or sheep you can put in for all 3 (elk deer and antelope.) An exception is, if you put in for a Trophy animal, you CAN put in for a controlled Elk, or Deer as long as that hunt is an unlimited tag quota hunt.

Umpqua Hunter
04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
In Idaho, If you choose a trophy species (moose,goat,or sheep) you only get to put in for that specie. If you dont put in for a moose, goat, or sheep you can put in for all 3 (elk deer and antelope.) An exception is, if you put in for a Trophy animal, you CAN put in for a controlled Elk, or Deer as long as that hunt is an unlimited tag quota hunt.

mtnguide is right on. in Idaho, I've alternated between applying for sheep one year and elk/deer/antelope the following year.

Edelweiss
04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
So if I understand it right, I am right in thinking I can apply for antelope, mountain goat and deer together?

wileywapiti
04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
the area that i hunt in wyoming opens sept. 20th for type 1 any elk rifle. right smack dab in the middle of the rut....... just takes a few minutes of lookin on the wyoming game and fish web page to see when areas open.

Drhorsepower
04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
the area that i hunt in wyoming opens sept. 20th for type 1 any elk rifle. right smack dab in the middle of the rut....... just takes a few minutes of lookin on the wyoming game and fish web page to see when areas open.

And he's back!!!! Welcome back wapiti

mntnguide
04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
So if I understand it right, I am right in thinking I can apply for antelope, mountain goat and deer together?

Negative...IF you apply for ONE of the trophy species AKA (Moose, mountain goat, or Sheep) then you can only put in for one of the three and that is all. If you do not apply for one of those three you can put in for all 3 (elk, deer, and antelope.)

Umpqua Hunter
04-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Mtnguide is right on, that is my understanding as well. To say it another way, there are two application periods, and you can apply in one of the two application periods.

#1 Early applications (due April 30 I believe), you can apply for sheep OR goat OR moose.

#2 Late applications (due June), you can apply for elk, deer AND antelope.

wileywapiti
04-17-2012, 12:05 PM
And he's back!!!! Welcome back wapiti

Thanks horsepower.... been a rough go, but the wifes says i need to get back on the horse. so here i am....

Kevin Root
04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks horsepower.... been a rough go, but the wifes says i need to get back on the horse. so here i am....

You know what they say, "Happy Wife, Happy Life". Hang in there wileywapiti. I hope things go a bit smoother for you and that horse your on now is less flighty. Sounds like it has been a bit of a rough go and it gets better soon.

tim
04-18-2012, 03:16 PM
i will check into it. But i believe idaho only lets you put in for one species only. doesn't matter wether deer, elk, sheep, moose, etc. only one species per year. The unlimited contolled hunt tags are different.
I will be going into fish and game in a couple of days to apply for mountain goat. i will ask.

Edelweiss
04-18-2012, 04:16 PM
As far as modern materials being better than wool and leather, I still have a hard time with that. I have several suits of LL Beans version of a soft shell gore tex rainwear. I also have similar equipment I was issued by the military made by Arcteryx LEAF, Condor Tactical, Propper, and others. As well as high end German Rascher and Lodenfrey wool hunting clothing, and Beretta wool stuff. And wool-goretex Scottish high country hunting gear made in England and by Laksen that is until you start talking about -30 is the warmest thing I own.

IdahoHombre
04-18-2012, 05:14 PM
i will check into it. But i believe idaho only lets you put in for one species only. doesn't matter wether deer, elk, sheep, moose, etc. only one species per year. The unlimited contolled hunt tags are different.
I will be going into fish and game in a couple of days to apply for mountain goat. i will ask.

ALL, the 2012 Big Game regs says that if you apply for moose, or sheep, or goats, then you cannot then apply for a controlled deer or elk tag (yes, there are some exceptions, such as depredation hunts, extra controlled hunts, unlimited controlled hunts). This holds true for residents and non-residents. Also, if you drew a controlled antlered-only deer tag in 2011, then you cannot apply for another one in 2012. You have to wait for 2013. You can apply after the 1st drawing if there's any leftover tags. Same thing if you drew an antlered-only elk tag in 2011.

So if you apply for a sheep or goat or moose, then you cannot apply for any controlled elk or deer hunts in the same year (except for the exceptions). That doesn't stop you from, say, applying for a moose tag, and then purchasing a general season elk and/or deer tag.

Hopefully that clarifies. What Umpqua and mtnguide said above is correct.

You can read more in the regs here... http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/bgContHuntInfo.pdf

mntnguide
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM

...You can put in for all 3 elk/deer/antelope as either resident or non-resident as long as you dont put in for A moose, goat or sheep. Regulations state that clearly, as well as i know from experience.

tim
04-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I just got done talking to idaho fish and game. you are only allowed to put in for one species on the controlled hunts. if you put in for deer, you can't put in for elk, or moose, etc. Just one game species. Depridation and unlimited controlled hunts are different.
It is not one species for each of the 2 controlled hunt application periods.

IdahoHombre
04-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Tim, I'm not sure what IF&G told you, but I know what they told me. I think I would double check if I were you. See image below.

Umpqua Hunter
04-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I just got done talking to idaho fish and game. you are only allowed to put in for one species on the controlled hunts. if you put in for deer, you can't put in for elk, or moose, etc. Just one game species. Depridation and unlimited controlled hunts are different. It is not one species for each of the 2 controlled hunt application periods.

Hey Tim, the info you got about applying for only "one specie", only applies to the first application period.

The correct information for applying in Idaho has already been stated several times in this thread.

1. You can apply in the first application period OR the second application period. You cannot apply in both application periods.

2. If you apply in the first application period, you can only apply for one specie (moose OR sheep OR goat).

3. If you apply in the second application period you can apply for all species (deer AND elk AND antelope).

Here is how the Idaho Fish and Game regs state it:

FIRST APPLICATION PERIOD REGS: "A person may apply for only one species. Any person applying for any moose, bighorn sheep, or mountain goat hunt is prohibited from applying for any other big game controlled hunt in the same year. Except: They may apply for a controlled depredation hunt for deer, elk, or pronghorn, a controlled black bear hunt, or leftover deer, elk or pronghorn controlled hunt tag, an unlimited controlled hunt, or extra deer, elk, pronghorn, or turkey hunt."

SECOND APPLICATION PERIOD REGS: "Applicants for controlled hunts for deer, elk, pronghorn or black bear must submit a nonrefundable application fee with each application."

Here is how "Huntin Fool" states it:

FIRST APPLICATION PERIOD: "You may apply for one moose OR sheep OR goat permit. If you apply in this drawing you may not apply later for the regular deer, elk and/or antelope drawing."

SECOND APPLICATION PERIOD: "If you applied for sheep, moose or goat you cannot apply for deer, elk or antelope, except for the leftover hunt drawings held in August."

nm. elker
05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
we have one hunt left for rifle that is during the rut. visit our web at www.chavezcreekhuntingllc.com
Give me a call if you have any questions at all. The hunt is oct. 1 thru 5th.
Thanks, Blaine 719-843-5223

flatlander51
05-21-2012, 08:05 PM
im going to wy sept. 26 on a rifle rut hunt on a gen. tag we drew with one point. not sure if its the best elk hunting but im sure it'll be a blast for my first elk hunt!