PDA

View Full Version : Spring turkeys

Fink
04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Missouri Turkey season finally opened today. I called three off the roost, and straight in.. I usually try to get some photos before the kill, but these guys came in too fast, and with that many eyes, I didn't want to risk it. After I shot, the other two birds stuck around and gobbled like crazy. I was able to snap a few pictures after the shot.

I love me some spring gobblers!

32443245 3246

Matthoek21
04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Nice job Fink. I sure miss some MO. Easterns. Guess your done for a week? That is the only thing that I hated.

sjsmallfield
04-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Great bird Fink. Congrats.

Fink
04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Matt- Can't you kill like a 100 turkeys a season in GA, or is that Alabama? Technically I'm done for the first week, but I'll put my wife on a bird this weekend, and I always have more fun doing that than I do shooting my own.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-16-2012, 08:42 PM
I love that pic with the talons up and feathers flying.

Very nice.

Matthoek21
04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Fink...yeah basically in GA you could. The limit is three but we don't have to tag birds here, so basically only if you talk too much would they find out. I personally have never killed more than 2 in a season but know people who have killed more than 3. Also we do not have a fall season like y'all. But we can kill 3 in one day and be done if that opportunity comes unlike MO. Either way I agree with calling birds for family...it's way more exciting. I called one in last year for my 8 yr old. That was real cool. Good luck the rest of the season.

tim
04-18-2012, 06:18 PM
congrats on your harvest.

There has been a tom gobbling in my yard for a couple of weeks. I imagine he will fight himself every day this summer in our basement window. he did last year. I personally just don't see why people think these birds are so smart.

idaho allows 5 turkeys a year, but the price of tags is to much money to deal with.

Old Hunter
04-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Turkey hunting sounds like so much fun. I can't believe I haven't tried it yet. We can use a shotgun, or a bow for spring turkey here. Too late this year, but i'm getting a longbow to try for next spring. It's probably a long shot, but i'm going to have fun trying. They give us a whole month to get it done. Just another reason to spend a month in the mountains. :)

Fink
04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
congrats on your harvest.

There has been a tom gobbling in my yard for a couple of weeks. I imagine he will fight himself every day this summer in our basement window. he did last year. I personally just don't see why people think these birds are so smart.

idaho allows 5 turkeys a year, but the price of tags is to much money to deal with.

Tim- I'd never consider a turkey smart.. Paranoid as hell, yes.. But smart, nah. Their brain is about as big as a walnut after all. But, they are fun to hunt, they are loud, and sometimes come willingly to the call.. Living in Missouri, I like to think of spring turkey hunting like hunting elk during the bugle... Only a little different :)

tim
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM
fink

I want to make sure there was no disrespct in my post. There wasn't meant to be any.
I have heard people comparing calling spring turkeys to calling for elk. I can't make that conncection. But who cares. do what you like and like what you do. I personally wish the turkey tags where cheaper. Than i might think of helping thin the vermon. But unfortuanty around here turkeys and houses go hand in hand. The turkeys are routinely 10 feet away. granted i am in my house and they just outside the window.

i will say though, that having them roost right behindmy shop is kind of cool. sometimes i change what i am doing, so not to scare them, but most times i dont worry about them.

Fink
04-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey Tim- I know you meant no disrepect, and I agree with you that they aren't all that smart. They are just paranoid birds with big eyes that see everything... And, they can't figure out how to cross a hog panel fence.

Ikeepitcold
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM
fink

I want to make sure there was no disrespct in my post. There wasn't meant to be any.
I have heard people comparing calling spring turkeys to calling for elk. I can't make that conncection. But who cares. do what you like and like what you do. I personally wish the turkey tags where cheaper. Than i might think of helping thin the vermon. But unfortuanty around here turkeys and houses go hand in hand. The turkeys are routinely 10 feet away. granted i am in my house and they just outsi

de the window.

i will say though, that having them roost right behindmy shop is kind of cool. sometimes i change what i am doing, so not to scare them, but most times i dont worry about them.

You should get yourself a sling shot around Thanksgiving and bring one of those INside.

tim
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
got woke up this morning by a couple of toms gobbling. One was fighting it self in the dining room window. Hope he don't break the window. So i scared him off. he went to another window to fight. This was at 6:00 am.